• This topic has 46 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Lucas.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • What's Whinlatter like?
  • martinhutch

re-surfaced downhill which is fast and great fun

How much resurfacing – have they altered the rocky drop almost immediately after the summit, or just smoothed out some of the rutty rattly stuff before the junction with the lower section?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

IS the top of the south loop open again

Was last week

How much resurfacing

Top section was still exposed rock. The section back across the hillside before you pop out on to a right hand turn fire road through the woods appeared new, was very smooth, kind of almost too smooth/easy. I held back expecting to some nasty slippery bit or a lump of rock, but just silky smooth.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

It’s the lower part of the South loop descent that’s been resurfaced if I remember right. It’s not good, totally sanitised.

colournoise

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Up the tourist drag, down the scree slope onto Ullock pike, then along there. One of the finest afternoons hike a bikes there is.

If someone were to take this route (obviously walking rather than riding along the Ullock Pike ridge 😉 ), what’s the best way back into Keswick? Are the paths through Dodd Wood cycle friendly?

Also, the idea of ‘sneaking out the back of Whinlatter’ and on to Grisedale Pike – can’t see any obvious paths on the OS that lead from the plantation up there? Do you have to find the Sleet How footpath and go from there? From Grisedale Pike what’s the best (most fun) way back down into Braithwaite/Portinscale area?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Also, the idea of ‘sneaking out the back of Whinlatter’ and on to Grisedale Pike – can’t see any obvious paths on the OS that lead from the plantation up there?

Just get on to the ridge and follow it up to the top. This pic is from the top of Grisedale Pike, looking back down along the ridge, with the plantation off to the left.

Proper hike a bike though. Looking up to Grisedale Pike from the ridge. Lot steeper than it looks!

I wasn’t on a bike, just running 😆

Daffy

martinhutch – Member
    Don’t know if it’s just my tyre selection, but I find dry is fine, out-and-out wet is OK, sort of moist is lethal.

It’s not just you. I find Whinlatter to be quite greasy.

Lucas
    Free Member

Its the lower part thats been resurfaced, maintenance work has been done to the top bit too (just filling in holes really), the rocky step is still there. The lower part was always pretty smooth and fast with a few loose corners and a few breaking bumps but nothing at all technical. When I was last there in April it was BMX track smooth, which made it ultra fast and had taken away all the puddles you used to get in the compressions in the woods.

I don’t think Whinlatter needs to be technical, there are plenty of technical options within a few miles of the place. For me it provides a great place for a quick early morning spin, where I don’t need to worry too much about hurting myself whilst on my own and where the challenge is doing bits of it/all of it without stopping as fast as I can.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘What's Whinlatter like?’ is closed to new replies.