Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What's to do in Dublin……
  • BFITH
    Free Member

….Were off for 3 days this Saturday before heading off down to Skibereen… So whats Dublin got to offer in the way of family fun?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Guinness, fun for all the family with all the old posters, adds and stuff, the kids will probably only get a half though 🙂

BFITH
    Free Member

Guinness storehouse is deffo on the cards!

johndoh
    Free Member

Nothing much really.

We ended up drinking Guinness then going to the Guinness museum where we looked at stuff then drank Guinness.

fionap

Depending on the age of your kids, Kilmainham Gaol is well worth a look – really interesting and a bit creepy.

binners

Don’t forget to re-mortgage your house before you go. To pay for drinks prices that make a poncey bar in Hoxton look like a Joey Holts pub in Stretford

BFITH
    Free Member

Kids are 13 & 11…. Gaol might just be up their street…..

wukfit
    Free Member

There’s also the old Jameson distillery, and a viking museum in an old church or something?

fionap

The Viking musem (Dublinia) is pretty crap apparently, although it might be ok for your children.
    I’d say they’re just the right age to enjoy a trip to the Gaol. There aren’t really that many ‘attractions’ as such that I can think of. Book of Kells and a wander around Trinity College might be worthwhile.

You could always get on the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit train that goes right along the coast) and go down to Bray or up to Howth (the posh option) for a seaside day out, get some ice creams etc.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I often walk past the National Leprechaun Museum (link) on Jervis Street and wonder what it’s like. Could be fun for the young ones.

Failing that, or even as an interesting contrast, try the Liffey boardwalk of an afternoon. Let the kids see the perils of drink and drugs.

BFITH
    Free Member

National Leprechaun museum? Is that for real??

sv

Natural history museum and the zoo. The zoo being the more expensive option.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

National Leprechaun museum? Is that for real??

If I’m totally honest, that’s the question that stops me going in. It’s so unbelievable that it feels like a rouse, as though I’m going to be disappeared and wake up in the Wicklow Mountains minus a kidney/lung/eye.

What takes you to Skibbereen? We’re off this afternoon for a few days for the arts festival – loads of very interesting exhibitions and shows. I lived in west Cork for a while, it’s a quite wonderful part of the world.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

30 minute drive to Newgrange bronze age burial site, historical amazements

donal
    Free Member

You could always take a trip down to Glendalough where there are some nice walks and so on. It is about an hour from the city if you have a car, but there is also a return bus that leaves from the city centre. Kilmainham Gaol is also pretty good. I went there for a few school trips and remember it being enjoyable. I am not sure if your children would be interested, but walking tours of Dublin are actually great, once the weather is on your side.

Enjoy the trip. My Dad is from Union Hall so I spent lots of summers down in west Cork. Beautiful place.

Saccades
    Free Member

Hire a car – go to ballinstoe, hire bikes and enjoy the trails biking.ie .

There isn’t a great deal to do in Dublin apart from drink – zoo isn’t bad, science museum is fairly small (not too bad for young lads though), Bray is a tiny Blackpool wannabe although the sealife centre is pretty good (if small).

All Ireland quarter finals are on for the GAA football, it’s less impressive than the hurling but still a good day out, should be cracking matches too – crowds are mixed so the atmosphere is awesome.

The kids would probably love the splash tour thing – you piss about dublins sights on a ww2 amphibious vehicle and pop into the water down by the docks.

granny_ring

I wasn’t that fussed about the Guinness Storehouse really.
    I really would recommend one of the bus tours. You can get on & off at loads of stops at places of interest, a great way to see the city and the guides on them are great and give a fun & interesting talk. Stops at the Zoo too.

davegreene
    Free Member

Will you have a car?
    There are a few companies doing SUP lessons or guided “supfaris” (e.g. puremagic)

There a few tours of croke park (e.g. the skyline)

The afore mentioned viking splash tour looks interesting. Though could be naff 🙂

BFITH
    Free Member

What takes you to Skibbereen?

Were off with friends who know somebody down there with an outdoor activity centre/hostel.

We will have a car so willing to travel around Dublin (looks like we may have to given the lack of attractions!)

mrmoofo

Dublin is over rated as a destination unless you are a) drinking and b) with some locals. Then it is one of the best places in the world!

Down by the Liffey is picturesque – but a mile behind that you can be into some pretty dodgy estates which don’t feel good to hang around in

Dun Laoghaire is nice ….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What's to do in Dublin……’ is closed to new replies.