• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by ton.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Whats this Skybox s5
  • trout
    Free Member

Daughter`s partner has got one of these and me being a suspicious git is wondering .

is it legal
    does it work
    is it piracy

Cougar

Do you mean F5?

Sat Doctor sell ’em, far as I’m aware they’re just third party satellite boxes. So you’d still need a Sky subscription to pick up Sky, and so on.

pk13

Uses card sharing platforms I would guess . Receives the singal from the dish and decoding via an internet connection to a remote platform database.

trout
    Free Member

sounds dodgy
    but not a lot if info out there or my googleskils are wanting

unovolo
    Free Member

The boxes are legit to buy and own and will work as a freesat box , where it becomes dubious is when you connect them to the internet and run software on them that decrypts the Sky channels on the fly to view them.

Its not as simple as it sounds and you do need a subscription(either monthly or annually and quite often known as a ‘Bouquet’)

As pk13 said above its using a form of cardsharing so is illegal if caught.

I have looked into it in the past(being a ex-Sky engineer amongst others) but decided its more hassle than its worth, the boxes/software can be a bit flakey ,OK if your a techno geek but a pain otherwise.

Sky are rumoured to be changing the cards/decryption method again in the future, so if/when this happens all the boxes using the current method will stop working(Until someone discovers another work around).

trout
    Free Member

Thanks Unovolo

I guess Sky will certainly plug the leaks sometime soon.

ton

I sell em, either un programmed or, cough..open..cough.
    had one in 11 months.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Whats this Skybox s5’ is closed to new replies.