Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What's this old Campagnolo road bike groupset?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

I recently bought this 80’s/90’s (I think) road bike off an old bloke locally, 14 speed Campagnolo groupset on it with downtube shifters and aero brake levers, looks nice and works and rides well but does anyone know what model it is, doesn’t seem to say anywhere on it? Cheers

edit – probably need closer pics

eskay

Looks like it maybe very early Chorus, I had the first generation Chorus on my very first proper ‘racing’ bike.

Nice bike!

Campagnolo Chorus Groupset

joshvegas
    Free Member

bob_summers

Lovely bike. I can’t see the details but if the brakes have no logo they’re chorus (athena will be printed on them if not) iirc

MrOvershoot

I was going to say more like Veloce given the non rounded chainset spider arms?
    Though IIRC my early 90’s Veloce kit had the group name on both the crank arms & the rear mech.

Good to see it has a Rolls on it too 🙂

MrOvershoot

Yes I think you right bob

Campagnolo FC-01CH, Chorus FC-01CH 1992 – 1994

eskay

MrOvershoot – Member

Good to see it has a Rolls on it too

And the Open4CDs

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Certainly looks like Chorus from 1992, just before ErgoPower levers arrived.

There are subtle differences between some Athena parts, but I think this is complete Chorus, e.g. smooth QR nuts, black brake adjuster o-rings, self-extracting crank bolts….

redstripe
    Free Member

Thanks all for your help, looks like Chorus it is. It’s a nice bike to ride and feels precise/tight, well not worn out. Quite a short wheelbase with very close clearances on it and with newer skinny 22mm tyres you notice the bumps on crap roads, but no space for much bigger tyres. Thanks again.

dovebiker

Looks like early 90s Chorus – worth keeping. Frame number might have an age indicator too.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Yes, a lot of frames back then were designed to be close even with 23mm tyres, so don’t bother trying to fit mudguards or ‘comfortably’ large tyres. You’ll just need to put a comfy saddle (Rolls aren’t actually that comfy, depending on your shape) and double up the bar tape !

That frame looks in superb condition, 531 Competition tubing, Prugnat lugs. I kind of like the colour, although can’t quite tell from the photos, but it’s almost like a root-beer brown ? I love the gold banding between paint and chrome.

Slight correction to my earlier comment – the ‘smooth’ QR nuts are Mavic, and I’ve now realised your bike has Mavic 501 hubs, which were one of the first to use cartridge bearings. They’re better than anything Campag offered, so still go well with a top bike build from 25 years ago.

That is indeed a very nice find.

slowster
    Free Member

That looks a lovely bike.

bike has Mavic 501 hubs, which were one of the first to use cartridge bearings

Redstripe, in the unlikely event that you need to remove the bearings, I have the Mavic tools, including the 6 pin tool to take the bearing cover off.

acjim
    Free Member

Sorry to be rude, but how much did you pay for this retro ride?

It’s lovely

joshvegas
    Free Member

bike has Mavic 501 hubs, which were one of the first to use cartridge bearings

Lambert were using caridge bearings in 1973…

It is nice that.

redstripe
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay in replying, thanks for the info, cost £140, yes it’s a kind of metallic shiny brown colour. Been out on it a fair bit lately, it’s quite a harsh ride with the steep angles, short wheelbase and narrow tyres, anyway more so than my other steel bike, a newer Condor Fratello. Do like it though. I think I deleted the pics by mistake, so here again:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/109756768@N03/
    Frame number ends in a dash 90, so presume the year

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What's this old Campagnolo road bike groupset?’ is closed to new replies.