Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • whats this critter?
  • shreck
    Free Member

<http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv313/garrysut/P8080185.jpg&gt;
    just set up a nano marine tank added some live rock yesterday and this gut showed up today anyone know what it is,im thinking a mantis shrimp which isnt good.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

druidh
    Free Member

druidh
    Free Member

snap!

shreck
    Free Member

thanks what was i doing wrong?

druidh
    Free Member

you need a / between the [ and the img] at the end of the tag

cynic-al
    Free Member

You need a /img in the last brackets

Mof
    Free Member

Deffo a crustacean, but hard to tell from photo. Could be Mantis or Pistol Shrimp… both of these frequently show up in live rock shipments. Going off the distinctly sectioned body, I'd say you have a baby Mantis on your hands. Mate is more of a marine expert, but he's offline at the moment coz 'puter is bust.

Hip
    Free Member

Probably safe to assume its natural habitate aint sheffield…

Hopefully it wont grow to consume your house and all you belong in its quest to get home again…

Poor little thing… 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

im thinking a mantis shrimp which isnt good.

It does look like one and you're right, it isn't good news – a mantis shrimp can punch a hole right through the glass side of your aquarium. Kill it !

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/sighting/report1.htm

wheelz
    Free Member

It's difficult to tell from the photo what it is, but it might be worth isolating it now when you can get to it, just in case it's a mantis.

Pistol shrimps are harmless, but a mantis can cause havoc in a marine tank as they're not adverse to eating your fish or your hermit crabs, depending on the species.

You might get more detailed information from Ultimate Reef – the Singletrack of the marine world

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘whats this critter?’ is closed to new replies.