Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What's this bolt & how do I remove it? PICS (Rear cassette/hub related content)
  • AB
    Free Member

So 6 years after selling my last MTB, I’ve finally gotten myself a new one, a Trek Top Fuel 8.

Suffice to say componentry has moved on a fair bit since I last had my Turner. As well as bleeding the brakes, tuning the gears and dialing in the shock and fork, I want to take the frisbee off from behind the rear cassette. So I reach for my vice whip and lock ring tool and then the I notice this:

So whit’s this??? :-/

bails

It’s the end of the axle isn’t it? The lock ring tool should fit as normal.

Junkyard
    Free Member

older cassette tool might not fnt inside it- i have an old one that no longer works on some hubs but you dont need to remove it

this type wont fit all of mine

AB
    Free Member

@Junk – so you said I *don’t* need to remove it? What tool do I need that will fit inside it then?

Junkyard
    Free Member

https://www.merlincycles.com/icetoolz-cassette-tool-with-guide-44498.html

I use one of these but any cassette tool you buy should fit

AB
    Free Member

Good man. Thanks

parkesie
    Free Member

Just destroy the frisbee not like you want to keep it.

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, scissors will cut that bad boy up, without removing the cassette.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep, thats the end of the axle. All you need is a standard cassette locking tool that will fit over it (And a chain whip of course)

As an aside, anyone running a SRAM 10-42 cassette on an XD freehub body, FFS PLEASE tighten it with a torque wrench. I removed one that had been overtightened, (well, I tried to) and all the splines sheared off with a bang and left it utterly impossible to remove the cassette from the freehub body. New cassette (£240 RRP) and freehub body (£70 RRP) required.
    No, I didn’t fit it.

jimw
    Free Member

Why take the frisbee off?

Having spent more money than I wanted changing spokes on a Crossmax ruined by the chain dropping off between the cassette and spokes, I leave mine on and don’t worry about the looks.

rickon
    Free Member

FFS PLEASE tighten it with a torque wrench

Is that caused by the creeking, which people try to remove by over tightening? Rather than greasing the threads and co tact points, and then nipping up?

Doesn’t it require something like 40nm of torque? Youd be hanging off a big bar to get past that, who the hell does that?!

Poopscoop

Yep, 40 nm from memory.

I torqued it to just under that as it is damned tight! Thought the torque wrench was faulty for a few seconds when I did it up! Lol

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Doesn’t it require something like 40nm of torque?

yep, exactly that.

\

Youd be hanging off a big bar to get past that, who the hell does that?!

Err no you wouldn’t. It’s surprisingly easy to over tighten a cassette, I see it every day just about. Lots of people do it in the vice by turning the wheel and it only requires a gentle tug to get it tight enough.

andyl
    Free Member

if anyone doesnt want their frisbee(s) I will take them.

I know they look gash but having had a chain go into my spokes after bending a mech hanger and chipping the spokes I would rather risk looking a bit silly from now on.

GrahamS

I bet you also keep the cellophane packaging on your sofa to keep it nice 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What's this bolt & how do I remove it? PICS (Rear cassette/hub related content)’ is closed to new replies.