Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What's this bird
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Apologies for the lousy video but i can’t just link sound.

Bird looks about the size of a big starling small dove. “Sings” most evenings/nights from about now till mid to late summer but it’s blooming useless at holding a tune, in fact the first time i heard it i assumed it was lots of recordings.

The main sound in the video is all the same bird.

Its quite loud sat outside my window.

[video]https://youtu.be/XEDjwRmTl1g[/video]

scotroutes

Song thrush?

nicko74

scotroutes – Member

Song thrush?
    I had that once. Kept warbling every time I went for a pee

IGMC

PJ266
    Free Member

Mistle Thrush Perhaps.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

😀 nicko

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Baby Robin. Obvs.

Klunk
    Free Member
    dangeourbrain
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Baby Robin. Obvs

Not a chance, I’ve had wheel size debates in this house so it’d be dead by now

Klunk – Member
    rspb probably has an audio file for every bird in the country A-Z good luck

Everyone knows stw has all the knowledge of the internet and is a better source of answers than Google and one of those old ask any question text services combined

redthunder
    Free Member

Thrush.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

But yes sing thrush sounds about right listening to the recording on the rspb.

Cheers folks

teasel
    Free Member

the first time i heard it i assumed it was lots of recordings.

‘s great, isn’t it – like a little sampling machine. Sometimes I think I recognise some of the sounds as car and house alarms from the local area, possibly even old mobile ringtones and game sound effects from way back. Who knows, maybe they have a kind of oral tradition whereby old ‘samples’ are passed on to successive generations.

In my mind, anyways… 🙂

Lovely sounds on a summer’s evening albeit to the detriment of just about any other sound.

matt_outandabout

Zero TR?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thrush

AAAAAH AAAAAAH
    HE SAVED EVERY ONE OF US!

joat

There was a bird in my old bosses yard that mimicked the proximity alarm, so well in fact, that jobs were stopped to see who was walking in.
    And yes, song thrush, they like the sound of their own voice.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

like a little sampling machine

First time i heard it i thought echo blaster (which it seems either I’m making up or Google has forgotten)

CountZero

Starlings are amazing mimics, they will imitate things like phone ring tones. Thrushes repeat the same phrase, or similar few notes several times, then do another, then another; blackbirds never repeat notes, it’s a continually changing song, which is how you can tell them apart.
    Mistle thrushes don’t repeat, but their song is more hurried and less fluid than the blackbird.
    Neither thrush is that common any more, but blackbirds are often around, I’ve got a regular pair around my garden, they’re always after the bits of sunflower hearts the finches and sparrows drop.
    http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/information/tutorials/tutorial01.htm

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

This ones not a blackbird: they are clearly very clever and sit on the decking quietly till you open the door, then sing for breakfast (otherwise they sing if you’ve had a lie in and you’re more than about ten minutes late, clever but none too patient). Oddly they actually seem to take it in turns to eat rather than scrambling over one another, not like the starlings which apear enmasse and look happy to eat each other in their rush to feed. They do look awesome when settling down for the night mind but also scare the house martins off 🙁

Thrush not being common anymore would explain why the song sounds familiar from my youth but not recently before we moved here.

It’s definitely not the pair of tawny owl anyway!

vickypea
    Free Member

Bustard

seosamh77
    Free Member

pterodactyl

maccruiskeen

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What's this bird’ is closed to new replies.