Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • Whats the worst fish and chips or meal you have had?
  • gixer.john
    Free Member

Me,Mrs Gixer and baby Gixer were out shopping yesterday, feeling a bit peckish when we were in Tesco Stafford. So we pop up stairs into the cafe and order fish and chips. I was a bit surprised when the fish arrived as the batter was a yellowey / green colour 😯 , gave the batter a bit of a squeeze with the fork and it was like a sponge soaked in fat – at this stage i was more curious than hungry, so decided to try a wee morsel. Nearly boaked when i put it in my gub, slimy, greasy and not very fish like.

The woman with a supervisor badge was standing talking to a couple of customers just by the next aisle, so i stood up and waited until she had finished her conversation, she looked across and said ” it’s the fish isn’t it? i wouldn’t touch it, it’s horrible” She hadn’t even looked at the plate!! She then said “can i cook something else for both of you?”
    Why the eff does she let food like that out of the kitchen if she knows it is minging?
    I wasn’t expecting gourmet food from Tesco’s cafe, but that is taking the piss

Jamie
    Free Member

Just do what I do in Tescos, help yourself to the free samples on the deli counter…and even the not so free ones in the salad bar.

Cougar

Annoys me when I get frozen chips from a chippie. I can understand it in a pub, prepping proper chips is a PITA for the kitchens, but when a chippie can’t sell chips that’s a pretty fundamental failing.

Jamie
    Free Member

Annoys me when I get frozen chips from a chippie. I can understand it in a pub, prepping proper chips is a PITA for the kitchens, but when a chippie can’t sell chips that’s a pretty fundamental failing.

Soggy/non-crispy chips from a chippy is a crime punishable by death. It’s that simple.

philconsequence
    Free Member

worst fish and chips…. has to be any from the north (higher than oxford) they dont know how to do it properly it seems

khani
    Free Member

Curry on brick lane, that bad I refused to pay and nearly caused a bloodbath with the gobby waiter…

neninja
    Free Member

The worst I’ve had was at the Neptune Fish Restaurant in Seahouses. A group of us ate there and the fish was totally over cooked and inedible, the chips were greasy and soft and the mushy peas were grey and tasteless.

Given the amount they charged it was disgusting and I’d never go there again.

Conversely I’ve had excellent fish and chips from the little chippy in Beadnell.

wrecker
    Free Member

B&B near Brechfa (the one with the little bar in). Dreadful meal.

geoffj

The local (Perthshire) chippy uses Spanish potatoes 🙄

And why, oh why, oh why, do my local chippies have to cook everything to order. Surely you could have a few fish ready?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

every little helps eh jamie 😉

Glad that you are doing your bit to stem their profits

As for eating in them places– were they not using free labour a while back, maybe they still have some in the kitchens

druidh
    Free Member

I used to work in a chippie. It was 50/50 between folk wanting a fast turnaround and those who were determined that everything had to be cooked individually for them.

Cougar

worst fish and chips…. has to be any from the north (higher than oxford) they dont know how to do it properly it seems

It’s not often you’re right, but you’re wrong this time.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

And why, oh why, oh why, do my local chippies have to cook everything to order. Surely you could have a few fish ready?

you are a heathen, fresh fish is freshly cooked, not sitting on a hot plate for ….how long !

the best f n c shops cook fish to order .

Cougar

I used to work in a chippie. It was 50/50 between folk wanting a fast turnaround and those who were determined that everything had to be cooked individually for them.

So, work out how many fish you need, divide by two, have that many ready. Everyone’s happy.

Cougar

Soggy/non-crispy chips from a chippy is a crime punishable by death. It’s that simple.

Or if not death, a good battering.

geoffj

you are a heathen, fresh fish is freshly cooked, not sitting on a hot plate for ….how long !

Oh at least 10 minutes I would imagine.

The one at Bridge of Allan is the worst for this! 👿

IHN

Worst fish and chips I’ve had were at the Red Cafe at Old Trafford. Terrible.

Well, some the best I’ve ever had were from the Alba D’Oro in Edinburgh and, indeed, Scotland in general is pretty good when it comes to deep-fried food…

xcgb
    Free Member

Probably the chippy in Bala – totally ran out of chips! pretty basic you would think

patriotpro
    Free Member

The ones from the chippy in Betws-y-Coed = vile.

Tasted re-fried and cooked in veg oil which is fish n chip sin if ever there was one.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Running Horse Bewdley – Terrible overcoked veg, somehow it won awards for its fish a few years ago. I assume the management has changed as the fish now is just disgusting and over cooked.

The Duke William Bewdley – near the wyre forest. Avoid anyting in the basket, twice i returned my chicken in a basket as the middle was raw, on the third time it arrived still raw but same bit of chicken I had returned the first time, not the second time.

Good food – The cock and magpie bewley, fish and chips are excellent and they come sroight from the chippy next door so only take two mins to be delivered to your table yum yum

binners

You ate at Tesco’s? Why, oh why, oh why would anyone even consider doing this? Even for a fleeting second?

Its like buying clothes from a supermarket! Its flagging up to the world that you’ve abandoned all hope!

failedengineer

The chippy in Brampton, Cumbria, is without doubt the worst I’ve ever been to. Unfortunate, because I live there! The fish appears to be reformed lumps of un-named greyish fish and the batter is greasy and soggy. Most of the locals seem to eat battered sausages or haggis, however.
    There’s a kebab shop in town which does better fish and chips – that shows how bad it is, I think.

neninja
    Free Member

You’ve obviously never been to Whitby or Scarborough

Burrells in Barnard Castle do awesomely good fish and chips.

The little one in Hawes with the 1970’s orange varnished pine panelling interior does a decent fish and chip supper with bread and butter and a pot of tea.

BoardinBob

The Blue Lagoon (RIP) next to Glasgow Central Station. Generally only eaten when drunk and waiting for the last train. Absolutely vile, and even in a drunken mess I still know it’s vile. Even crap kebabs taste great when you’re drunk but no amount of alcohol can mask the crapness of The Blue Lagoon.

xcgb
    Free Member

Worst Meal though- i’ve had a few but the raw bloody chicken wings in a harvester was memorable!

FuzzyWuzzy

The only really bad ones I’ve had were at school

patriotpro
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member

How many chippes have you been to north of oxford and where?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I was forced to have lunch in a cafe in the arndale centre years ago. The world smoking championships were being held at the same venue that day. Nothing I ordered off the menu was available. I had a jacket spud. It was horrid, so quickly drank my coffee to leave and there was a piece of sweetcorn stuck to the bottom of the cup.

that, and a pizza from a scottish chippie that was just a ****ing hot yellow mess from space.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Fish and Chips are the most consistently disappointing meal, generally its something you really fancy and then it’s just poor quality. Our local Seafare has won the national title of best in the UK a few times, makes me shudder to think what the others are like then. Recent TV scoop showed how many places were selling cheap fish as Cod. Good news is we have found a nice place but it’s very expensive, frankly you are better off buying some nice fish and oven chips (or new potatoes) from Waitrose

EDIT: re North / South – I have spectacularly good fish and chips in Padstow and oop North – secret is to get them from near/in a port with an active fishing fleet. I’d say most places in the South / South East are crap no better or worst than cities and towns in the North.

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – deep fried pizza…..

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Any fish and chips NOT cooked in beef dripping.

Pigface
    Free Member

There is a chippy in Roch on the way to St Davids that is/was beyond awful. Chips hardly cooked, limp, greasy vile. Went a second time as couldn’t believe they could be that bad again, they were. Never go there you have been warned

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I once ordered “fishcakes” in a chippy in Leeds. Turned out to be potato in batter with about 6 flakes of fish-like substance in it.

gixer.john
    Free Member

Binners, 5 month old baby was quiet so it was a grab soemthing quick while the wee fella is peaceful 😉

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Patriotpro- will not agree on much, but will with you on the betws chippy– the only show in town and its dire.
    N wales is not renowned for great chippies, but two in particular are worth making a detour for– The Harbour View in deganwy- fresh fish every time, decent chips, and Rob’s in Pensarn — same as before- but rob hiimself is a fanatical roadie–

Cougar

You’ve obviously never been to Whitby or Scarborough

Seaside chippies are almost universally minging. Blackpool’s the same.

As a rule of thumb, if chips are sold in cones then there’s a high likelihood that you’re about to be charged three quid for half a dozen frozen chips that have been cooked and left unloved in the warming tray thing for a couple of millennia, then quickly refried to heat them back up. I know of just two chippies in Blackpool that sell actual food.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

PS: If you’re in the area, here:

http://www.partyatthepub.co.uk/bars/cape-st-katherine-docks/

serves a plate of cod and chips with mushy peas that can only be described as Pukka.

Good beer too.

warton
    Free Member

hahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Cougar

If I ever come across something that can ‘only be described as pukka’, I’ll have it round up and shot. I fear it’s best for society as a whole.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

A chip shop in St Andrew. had a red pudding supper and went down to the harbour to scoff it. it was rank. couldn’t eat it so chucked it out the car window. a gull swooped down on it, took a bite and dropped it. food even the gulls won’t eat – can you get much worse?

worst fish and chips…. has to be any from the north south (higher souther than oxford) they dont know how to do it properly it seems

FIFY

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Whats the worst fish and chips or meal you have had?’ is closed to new replies.