Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Whats the wind like where you are?
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Guess where i was today?

Romney marsh?

martinxyz
    Free Member

Cairngorm.Reached the Ptarmigan about 6.05pm.Not sure if i missed the worst of it or if the worst was to come.It seemed that the strongest winds were just north of Aviemore.The top of the traverse was frightening.The snow fence has been blown out (not sure if this happened today) but i was worried that it might kick up as i walked up past it.The wind seemed not too strong at that point but its once you come out of the traverse where the top of the M1 starts that it hits you.After reaching the Ptarmigan and taking a few pics and vids on the north facing side of the building it seemed to get worse by around 6.15pm. It started snowing so i decided not to hang around,waited for it to ease a bit and went for it.Got to the top of the traverse (wind chill from the ptarmigan to the top of the traverse hit in so quick) and managed to get down out of the point where the constant windspeed was at its worst.

In those winds,even a waterproof Ortlieb rucksack rolled over as well as possible couldnt keep the rain out.The drawcords on the hood of the jacket seemed fine on the way up but the hardware on the cords dont work at all in those windspeeds.The hood was cinched down to the max and the wind still got in and pulled everything open when walking head on into the wind.You would need caliper brake cable pinch bolts tightened down to keep them in place! God knows which jackets have pull cords that work in real extreme winds as they all seem to have similar plastic lock-off bobbins.

Was nice to walk up and down without bumping into anyone,though.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Very! 40 mile road ride was interesting tonight. Blown on to the other side of the road twice on the cat & fiddle, thankfully was hardly any cars about

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    edhornby

quickest commute home ever 😀

Mintman
    Free Member

11 floors up next to the Clyde and it sounds like it’s getting worse. Probably not gusting as high as I’d guess but damn loud and fierce anyway!

olympus
    Free Member

lost my kite the night 🙁

Kunstler

Well I had a crazy ride out in the hills tonight. I kept saying to myself – just ride a little further and see what it’s like. And so I kept going. The wind always seems to be worse riding up and around Arthurs Seat and I managed that, though it was fierce. There were plenty of rocks that had been blown down onto the road which made me cautious.

There was also plenty of tree damage everywhere through town and up the WOL path. In fact wherever I was there was tree debris beside or across the path. I didn’t witness any falls but the way the trees were being bent by the gale, particularly while climbing up Poet’s glen kept me on my guard.
    Getting that far should have been enough but I wanted to know what a 70mph tailwind was like so I headed up Maiden’s with the wind behind me. Didn’t push me that much until I was on Harbour hill which is where it became fun. Human kite.

I got a good soaking on the way out but didn’t feel too cold until I got up on the tops. I was rather cold and wet by the time I got back.
    That’s the fifth day in a row I haven’t seen any other bikers in the Pentlands. What’s the matter with everyone? 😛

In fact the whole time I was out, even riding through town I only saw one other person on a bike – sessioning the road around Arthurs Seat.

marty
    Free Member

Pretty impressive storm for early summer – had a lovely wee tour round central Scotland tonight due to Forth Road Bridge closure (and subsequent Kincardine jams). Lots of trees, debris down and one car on it’s roof in a ditch…

Trail fairies are going to need their sharpest bowsaws for the next wee while.

Have been skiing at Cairngorm in 60mph winds (gusting ?) this year and that was fcking fierce. Funicular was running, but not much else.

aracer
    Free Member

Pretty calm here. A lot blowier yesterday and Saturday out on Anglesey. Got blown all the way up the Menai Straits yesterday (apart from the bit where we were going against the wind and the current in the Swellies!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nae power for about 18 hrs

Haulin trees off the track to house – large mature trees uprooted

Ben_mw

I was lucky to get home earlier from Edinburgh as they had suspended all of the trains

My Mrs and 7 week old weren’t so lucky – halfway through their journey from Huddersfield to Inverness the train got cancelled in Edinburgh, and there’s no replacement buses ‘cos of the mess on the roads, so the hunt for somewhere to stay, nappies, a cot, some bedding for the little one etc began!
    (Thank goodness for large extended families)!
    Hopefully she’ll get the rest of the way today.

binners

I thought it was very naughty of God/Allah/the Tooth Fairy to arrange some very high winds for my first ride on a road bike for about twenty years. Its fair to say they;re a little bit more susceptible to side-winds than my burly, rufty-tufty mountain bikes

I was feeling nervous enough at the twitchiness of the whole thing anyway. I absolutely bricked it when I came over the top of a steep climb, past the imaginatively named ‘The Summit’ pub and got blown half way across the road by an enormous gust. I drove in this morning 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Whats the wind like where you are?’ is closed to new replies.