Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What's the weather doing?
  • Kunstler

I’m riding down from north Norfolk to the train back to Edinburgh
    from Peterborough. The forecast wad atrocious but I just dat and had lunch
    im tye Sun at Sandringham.
    It’s pretty grim riding through the fens on a sunny day not going to be
    fun in heavy rain and punishing headwind. Considering train bailout from Kings Lynn.

Has the monsoon that’s supposed to blow up from the south reached where you are yet?

Jamie
    Free Member

In Peterborough. Warm, windy and no rain.

thepurist

Rain radar shows a little bit of drizzle heading your way from Peterboro, then nothing after that for a good while.

Kunstler

Well I decided to push on yesterday. I think that as I’d spent a week around my dad, I’d been under the influence of someone who worries too much about the weather forecast. I reminded myself that I wasn’t plotting a route over the Cairngorms in January. Indeed, I was on a route where the biggest climb was over a small bridge. I’m sure I traveled five miles without turning a corner. Or seeing a hedge.

I did get a soaking – from near to Wisbech on to Peterborough. I was riding on NCN route 63. The signage was pretty inconsistent and I somehow lost the route in March. I kept checking position on Viewranger on my phone and wasn’t careful enough to prevent the rain getting in so the phone is borked. I then followed the 63 signs (started to get a bit antsy after not seeing one for about three miles). Made the train with ten minutes to spare. Saved the extra train fare but now after a new phone.

GrahamS

I was riding on NCN route 63. The signage was pretty inconsistent and I somehow lost the route in March.

Give Sustrans feedback on the route – if you found it difficult to follow and you think it needs more signs then please let them know so the local volunteers can try to sort it.

Kunstler

Okay, I’ll do that. I think the problem for me was the inconsistency. If you get used to seeing signs prominently at some points, you expect that all along and there are places where I had to stop and check my GPS position on the phone as I’d missed signs or there wasn’t a sign. I must admit that there is a certain amount of user incompetency as last month I missed the start of the West Highland Way. From the very start of the West Highland Way.

GrahamS

Cheers Kunstler – you shouldn’t need a GPS to follow a Sustrans route so letting them know is the best thing.

(PS I grew up in Milngavie: is there not still a ruddy great stone obelisk thing marking the WHW start in the village?)

Kunstler

(PS I grew up in Milngavie: is there not still a ruddy great stone obelisk thing marking the WHW start in the village?)

Yes. I found that that and photos were taken and then I set off – up the high street, missing that even greater arch with West Highland Way in huuuge letters on it. That’s the level I’m talking about. In my defence, it was dark and I was very keen to get going.

GrahamS

Lol. Good work.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What's the weather doing?’ is closed to new replies.