• This topic has 28 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by jruk.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Whats the top contenders for best no nonsense rigid seatpost?
  • haggis1978

As the title says folks. Basically because I’m looking for a new seatpost and your recommendations to help me decide. Now I’m not talking crazy money seatposts at like £180 for something carbon. I am talking no nonsense good quality seatpost.

Straight away loads of you will think Thomson which is fair enough.
    I’m also looking at the Hope Eternity, Ritchey WCS, Nuke proof, RaceFace and Easton. Basically around the £50-70 price bracket. Am I missing anything?

Thomson to be honest is a last resort as I’m really
    Looking for something a bit different and I’ve had a few Thomsons. The Eternity and the Ritchey are the ones I like best but the Nukeproof looks good as well.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of these recently, so far so very good for the money..

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

How about a Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 Carbon Layback Seatpost from On-One?

I can’t comment on the quality, but when I saw the price on their web site today I couldn’t resist getting one for my carbon HT. A little more than your budget, but it ticks all the pre-ride boxes for me.

limkilde
    Free Member

Hope eternity.
    Great post

shermer75
    Free Member

How about a Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 Carbon Layback Seatpost from On-One?

Half price, eh? You’d be practically making money if you bought that post!

matther01
    Free Member

Tbh depends what bike your riding and if you’re worried about weight/strength or aesthetics.

I ride a steel hardtail with a pro koryak post and its great at only £37.

On my Fs a raceface ride would suffice as the rear suspension soaks up the bumps.

My advice, buy a raceface ride for £20 and save for a dropper. Best upgrade for any bike.

bigblackshed

Thomson. I know it’s predictable but……

The Hope Eternity is nicely made and weighs nothing, but mine creaks like a creaky thing.

YMMV.

garage-dweller

I have a couple of race face ones where the angle adjustment is by sliding a collar up and down the main post with a kind of linkage arrangement to the saddle rails. Have proved very reliable and creak free.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’ve had a nukeproof in the past and been very impressed. I’d buy one again.

_tom_
    Free Member

Thomson is the standard choice!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope Eternity, less bits to drop while fitting that a thompson and a great post, the angle adjust method is miles ahead of most out there.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I got a race face NEXT sl on wiggle the other day reduced from 130 to 40!
    Its lovely, logo looks brown in pic but its actually silver.
    Think theyre still there in price drop.
    Bargain now if the right size

Candodavid
    Free Member

I got an NC-17 for the Curtis. Value for money against the Thomson and no creak on the bolts

_tom_
    Free Member

Don’t want to jinx it but my NC17 bent after a few months. Mind you, back then I was about 18 stone and rode a small frame with a lot of post sticking out.

messiah
    Free Member

Bontrager Carbon would be up on my list as I liked the clamp on the last one I had (I’m all Reverb these days 🙄 ).

gonzy
    Free Member

you’ll be wanting this bad boy….

tough as hell and comes at a monster 425mm long…
    http://www.rushcycles.co.uk/m2b0s84p3277/BLACK-SPIRE-Blackspire-Shore-Seatpost

br
    Free Member

I-Beam

rocketman
    Free Member

Thomson would be my choice. Have got a box full of 31.6 seatposts – Race Face, FSA, Superstar, USE, Truvativ, Nukeproof, Prolite, Crank Bros, Easton, Funn – but Thomson have the edge. Often available from On-One or bike-discount at a competitive price.

I like Nukeproof’s image but have always been disappointed with the actual products – a triumph of style over substance imo

bigyinn
    Free Member

That Black Spire looks like a total rip off of the original Syncros seatpost design.

bigyinn
    Free Member

nosemineb – Member

I got a race face NEXT sl on wiggle the other day reduced from 130 to 40!
    Its lovely, logo looks brown in pic but its actually silver.
    How do you find it, is there much “give” in it?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Some of the reviews suggest not much, so nothing to be gained by me replacing the Thomson already on my HT. Shame seems like a nice piece of kit too.

haggis1978

Nosemineb! You are da man! Perfect size, I’ll be having on of them I think carbon or not lol

Its for an xc full sus bike so no real need for a dropper post. I have the Deus version of this post on another bike and I’m very happy with it.

haggis1978

@bigyinn

As is the Thomson a copy of the old Syncros design from the early 90s. Thomson have clearly perfected and altered slightly but generally they’re the same.

M6TTF
    Free Member

ControlTech team issue

nosemineb
    Free Member

haggis1978 No problem at all. Its a bargain. Remember to unsubscribe to the newsletter first for the 5$ voucher. I got some race face ride bars that were 26 reduced to 5ish which put me at 51 so when i used the newsletter voucher i paid 46 for the lot! 😀

@bigyinn
    Erm i dont know, ive got a carbon railed saddle which apparently doesnt fit so not ridden it yet 😳 Thats Karma for you!
    So if anyone sees a cheap vanox railed selle italia SLR CHEAP let me know.

gmex619
    Free Member

Blackspire looks great. I have a hope eternity. I rate it above my Thomson to be honest. No creaking or anything.

gonzy
    Free Member

That Black Spire looks like a total rip off of the original Syncros seatpost design.

it probably is a design rip off…but its one tough mutha!!
    had mine for about 8 years…its been through 4 frames and is still going strong…

flashes
    Free Member

Thompson X 7, Salsa X 2…………

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve got a Controltech M Post and it does the job nicely – not managed to bend it yet despite being ~95kg and riding a hardtail.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Whats the top contenders for best no nonsense rigid seatpost?’ is closed to new replies.