• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What's the tool called and where can I buy one?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Morning all.

On the video tutorials on YouTube for bleeding shimano brakes they have a little black plastic spanner type device they slide down over the bleed hose to keep it firmly in place on the bleed nipples.

What’s this black plastic thing called? I can’t find one to buy anywhere and my bleed kit didn’t come with one?

benpinnick

Its a special shimano bit of plastic that comes with the official bleed kit. Use a zip tie instead though. Does the same job.

orangespyderman

I use the EPIC bleed kit – pretty cheap, works really well and comes with everything you need, including the “tube holder” you describe. Other than that, no idea where you can get just the tube holder thing.

chilled76
    Free Member

I tried a zip tie and it made it worse, because of the flat edge of where the zip tie head pressed against it it wasn’t circular around the hose and kind of pinched. You could see the air being drawn in.

zilog6128

+1 Epic bleed kit. I think they have that tool specially made, don’t think you can buy it separately (from them or anyone else).

chilled76
    Free Member

Anyone moved away from shimano brakes that’s got one they would like to sell?

nickjb
    Free Member

They come with the bleed kit: eg https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/shimano-basic-kit-brake-tools-tl-bt03/135997474/p but thats a bit of a waste if you have the other bits. Bit of plastic with a hole drilled in it will do the same job.

chilled76
    Free Member

That’s a great idea. Anyone know what size mm hole to drill?

STATO
    Free Member

I had no idea that’s what it was for, always just took it off the hose as it got in the way of the spanner and served no purpose. I always made sure the hose was not pulled so naturally sits correctly on the bleed nipple, no air can get in then. Dont think I have them anymore though sorry.

scotroutes

I’ve never used one. As STATO says, just make sure there’s nothing pulling the hose off.

chilled76
    Free Member

The hose popped off under the syringe pressure last night. Not only did I cover my garage (gym) floor in fluid it covered my wife (who is awesome and was helping) head to toe in mineral oil. Pretty comical but want to try and avoid a repeat.

I’ll try drilling something to replicate the tool. Cheers guys

scotroutes

There’s a mumsnet thread in there somewhere…

If the hose popped off as you were squeezing the syringe I’d be asking if the nipple was actually unscrewed enough. You should just be balancing the pressure not forcing it through.

rOcKeTdOg

nothing better than a well lubed wife, although it’s hydraulic so i’d check her seals before using

km79
    Free Member

The seals on syringes tend to swell up rather quickly when used with mineral oil. This makes it so that you need to exert more pressure to move the oil through the small diameter bit that connects to the hose. I prefer to buy the larger syringes which have a larger diameter bit to connect the hose to, this means having two sizes of hose though to act as a step down. This method requires much less pressure and always makes a tidier, smoother job.

sv

What about one of those sandwich bag clips with one end suitably drilled to size?

chilled76
    Free Member

Think I might make a carbon fibre one so I’m just that bit better than everyone else.

alexpalacefan

Epic sold me just the tool.
    Why not give them a call, it was a couple of quid and works great

APF

STATO
    Free Member

chilled76 – Member

The hose popped off under the syringe pressure last night.
    As above, too much pressure. Not only do you risk popping the hose off but also squeezing oil out the threads of the bleed nipple and it dripping out onto the rotor or pads.

iainc

Not only do you risk popping the hose off but also squeezing oil out the threads of the bleed nipple and it dripping out onto the rotor or pads.

. ….never bled a brake with wheel or pads in though 😀

STATO
    Free Member

Well you can if you are not the sort of ham fisted oaf who squirts oil everywhere, saves loads of time 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What's the tool called and where can I buy one?’ is closed to new replies.