Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Whats the third best 160mm fork?
  • godzilla
    Free Member

Im building my new Nicolai ion and just about to buy some new forks, probably going for Pikes but just wondered if i should be looking at other brands, so question is after Bos and the Pikey’s what’s good?

wiggles
    Free Member

Fox 36 are the best 😉

Xfusion sweep?

danbo
    Free Member

Fox 36 and MRP Stage are both also excellent

godzilla
    Free Member

Im not a Fox fan, probably should have said that.

chakaping
    Free Member

The top end marz fork looks promising.

godzilla
    Free Member

i looked at the 350cr, they look good value but I’m put off by Marz on the brink of folding.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Following me, it would be a case of pick a chassis you like and put an Avalanche damper in it.

godzilla
    Free Member

Following me, it would be a case of pick a chassis you like and put an Avalanche damper in it.

Not a bad shout.

EDIT – price is steeper than i remember

matther01
    Free Member

DVO diamond?

poah
    Free Member

pikes with a fast suspension cart to give adjustable high speed compression

bigjim

I’m liking my MRP Stage, more than my Pike in some regards but not quite got the rebound set up as controlled as the pike was yet, but only had 5 rides on it

godzilla
    Free Member

DVO look good but probably a tad more than i want to spend, nevi er heard of MRP until now, i like the look of them.

benpinnick

If you can wait until June, the Sweep Roughcut HLR should be on your list.

Onzadog
    Free Member

True, the avalanche thing is expensive but as I’m running them now, they will have to go on My next bike. I’ll buy the fork to suit the cartridge and upgrade later if I have to, they’re that good.

Northwind

Haven’t ridden a 36 or DVO, most folks who have put one or the other of them as best. So that makes Lyrik 3rd best, Deville 4th and Pike 5th probably 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Coil Lyriks.

godzilla
    Free Member

Do they do Lyric in 650b? I’ve got the latest RC2DH i’ll be sad to see em go.

I_Ache
    Free Member

This is my issue, I have Lyriks and they are ace but they are heavy and not tapered (my frame is) but they are so good I can’t really bring myself to replace them.

godzilla
    Free Member

I’ve a genuinely lovely set of freshly serviced tapered Lyriks for sale (cheap) 😉
    I like the sound of the DVO’s an found some at a semi sensible price

smatkins1
    Free Member

Im not a Fox fan

Oh but the latest incarnation of the 36s are absolutely brilliant 🙂

If you’re asking for the third best, assuming Pikes and 36s take the top two spots based on how many are sold and how they perform, that probably leaves the xfusions fork of your choice.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m a fox fan and got some pikes recently. They’re a no brainier for the money.

orena45

godzilla – Member
    i looked at the 350cr, they look good value but I’m put off by Marz on the brink of folding.

Marzocchi reckon the bike side of things is ok…

Future of Marzocchi

I’m certainly considering the 350 NCR for my next bike, it sounds like a great fork

Northwind

godzilla – Member

Apparently the 650b boxxer lowers fit a 26er.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Marzochi 350 NCR.

Tryed a few bikes with these on feel really good after a few break in rides

chrisdw
    Free Member

Manitou Mattoc?

timber

Just gone for Marzocchi 350CR on my new build, managed to find a 2014 model to get the anodising without stretching to this year’s NCR so I could spend a bit more on wheels.
    Choice based on riding a friends bike with them and another friends experience of newer 55’s.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Marzochi 350 NCR.

Going out of business.

The Mattoc is the best alternative fork here, it’s smoother at high speed than both the 36 and the Pike.

Manitous are the only fork Criag at Avy doesn’t bother playing with as he likes the stock dampers so much.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There are some pictures floating around of a ‘yet to be named’ new RS 650b fork being tested on some Enduroists bikes. I expect they will be a while away yet.

There are a lot of good forks out there at the moment.

gaz552
    Free Member

If you want something a bit more beefy the X-Fusion Metric’s are meant to be good. Could even extend the travel to 170 or 180mm if you wanted/needed.

That mattoc pro seems like it gets good reviews from people and the price isn’t bad either.
    Guess the bigger question is how easy is it to get parts for and get it serviced.

kayla1
    Free Member

Suntour Durolux 35s? Prophylactic nomenclature notwithstanding, I think they look pretty good. They’re also relatively inexpensive.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

So many really good options now… Probably would come down to personal preference. The 350 is really stiff and soaks up the punishment giving you less arm pump.

matther01
    Free Member

Ordered some dvo diamonds this morning, due end of May. Bit of a long shot but the reviews I’ve seen seem pretty good bar the slight weight penalty…and cost! Lol

Marzocchi still very good for the money. Winstanley are doing one for £425. Think its the 2015 CR?

zero-cool
    Free Member

Marx are not going out of business, just the Moto side of things. Mob is still going strong.

godzilla
    Free Member

Out of interest what price did you find the DVO for matther01?

matther01
    Free Member

Godzilla – a very good price…but waiting until Monday to see if they honour it! Lol

godzilla
    Free Member

Cheaper than £670?

Olly
    Free Member

Got fed up of servicing my 36s, that and them riding like a bag of ****.
    Got quoted 400 quid for a fit cart when they stopped making the straight float internals by Mojo. spend 400 quid, and still have a 10 year old fork. Stuff that.

Bought some 2014 marzocchi 55CRs for 350 quid (new, last year). They are awesome. Really pleased.

Not as plush when riding over twigs in the car park, but crashing down trails they are mint, and compression tune is much much better, meaning they dont dive through the travel as soon as the trail turns downhill.

350s seem to be going on the enduro bikes as OE equipment now, i think they may have replaced the 55s.

Olly
    Free Member

FWIW, i understand the X Fusions have a very similar ride to 36s (too little support). Guess it depends how you ride too!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

a very good price…but waiting until Monday to see if they honour it! Lol

Did they? And how much?

LoCo
    Free Member

MRP, current 36s are very good though 😉

Feel free to give us a call about MRP or DVO too 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Whats the third best 160mm fork?’ is closed to new replies.