Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What's the STW consensus? / PSA: super value frameset
  • RealMan
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALUMINIUM-ROAD-BIKE-FRAME-FORKS-51-54-57-60CM-/380354329300?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item975840e436

Will I die?

Considering spending the extra tenner and getting something with a name on it (a name I’ve never heard, but whatever).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/paul-milnes-alloy-road-race-frame-carbon-fork-pin-54-cm-/160650147808?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item25677eb7e0

Carbon seatpost, forks, and an aluminium frame for £150. Not even Ribble can do better then that. It’s going to be used for lots of winter riding, lots of commuting, and as a general hack, although it will be looked after.

cp

Pretty much the same frame here by the look of it:-

http://www.grahamweighcycles.com/gwcshop/product.php?id_product=923

I’ve just had some VERY good service from GW for their cross frame. They’re nicely made & finished.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Both look pretty much identical. You’d be paying an extra tenner for some stickers!
    How about the on-one pompetamine for £129.99 + £49.99 for the forks

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Overal spec and details look identical, bar the Milnes decals – save your tenner?

Might have done the conversions wrong (scanned add, did mental arithmetic quickly so, in true STW style, the following statement should be digested as indisputable FACT!!!!*) are they a little short in the TT for the given size?

* – probably inaccurate, but please check!

RealMan
    Free Member

True, but they’re nice stickers. Was wondering if I might get better service out of the paul guy rather then rutlands. Then again, could just save a tenner.

Cheers cp.

How about the on-one pompetamine for £129.99 + £49.99 for the forks

No can do, after a road frame.

Nobby

They both look the same to me, but one’s been badged – guess they’re generic far-eastern jobbies.

4kg seems awful heavy though.

Edit: forgot to hit ‘send post’

cp

Graham Weigh are free post if ordered from their website too, which works out cheapest 🙂 Phone them up/email ref sizing – they know their stuff!

cp

they’re not 4kg. Maybe 4kg with forks, headset, seatpost etc… plus box for shipping & packing material. My cross frame weighs about 1800g.

RealMan
    Free Member

they’re not 4kg. Maybe 4kg with forks, headset, seatpost etc… plus box for shipping & packing material. My cross frame weighs about 1800g.

Yeah, thought the same too. Even a complete rubbish frame isn’t going to be more then 1.8kg or so, and a heavy set of forks will be like 700g. Headset, seatpost, seat collar, isn’t going to add up to 1.5kg. And even if it does, it will just make it all the nicer when I get back on the summer bike.

RealMan
    Free Member

Just talked to Graham, and although his is £5 cheaper, it doesn’t come with a seat post. Non stickered one it is then. Might get some marker pens or spray paint and do it up all funky like.

Nobby

Sorry, the Rutland ad clearly states they’re 4kg so i kinda took it at face value.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heavy, stiff alloy frames are horrible to ride and it sounds like you will put a lot of miles onto it.

PITA to fit mudguards without claerance/bosses unless you go for crud ones.

I’d save for something better or look SH – I got a 1.350kg Felt frame for £90 a while ago.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

As you say it’s to be your winter bike, worth noting there appears to be no drillings in the dropouts or eyes on the forks for mudguards, if that makes a difference……

EDIT: Al beats me to it…..

RealMan
    Free Member

Will be putting crud roadracers on it, so not worried about bosses etc.

I’m not expecting it to ride brilliantly, but I’ve got a pretty strict budget at the moment and I do need it now. Quite like the look of it too, tempted to cover it in stickers.

foxyrider
    Free Member

If you dont mind Ribble they have cosmetic damaged frames on sale:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/assets/images/FrameClearance2011.pdf

Or a Ribble winter bike frame and fork for ~ £150 (I have one for commuting and its not bad for plodding 🙂 )

RealMan
    Free Member

Obviously don’t mind ribble, I’ve already got one 😉

Had looked at ribble originally, sent them an email, which obviously they didn’t reply to (seriously, who doesn’t email someone back when they send you an email saying “I’m about to give you lots of money, could you please answer this simple question for me”…). Got bored of waiting, had a gander on ebay, and found the frame in the OP.

Would still have to buy headset, seat post, seat collar, and have to deal with ribble, and their terrible website. which offers no real information about any of their products (FFS, I DON’T CARE ABOUT WHAT NUMBER ALUMINIUM THE FRAME IS MADE OF, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT SIZE SEAT POST IT TAKES! etc.).

foxyrider
    Free Member

ahh Sorry Realman – didn’t notice ya name there 🙂

Hmm – bit hit and miss with Ribble seems – always replied to mine 😉

BTW I got mine 2nd hand full build for £200 – there are quite a few on fleabay on and off!

Well if you want a Ribble 7005 and want info I can give you all you need 🙂

BTW old pic – have changed bars, collars and saddle to a more acceptable position 😉

Shibboleth
    Free Member

A young lad I ride with bought one, it’s absolutely fine for the money – not too heavy, fairly stiff. It’s never going to be as nicely finished as a more expensive bike, but as a package (f/f, seatpost, headset) it’s really good value.

RealMan
    Free Member

BTW old pic – have changed bars, collars and saddle to a more acceptable position

Thank god 😀
    Already got all the parts, on a road bike that’s about 4 sizes too big for me, and with rubbish aluminium forks. So just need that really.

Cheers Shibboleth, that’s helpful 🙂

Think I’ll put an order in later today.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Don’t know if it’s any help, but I got a lovely Dolan Prefissio frameset very cheap – they were selling some of the larger and smaller sizes on ebay for 70 quid. Got some of the Alpina forks (same as on that Ribble ^^^) for about the same…

RealMan
    Free Member

Cheers, had a quick look. Still thinking about the complete thing, makes the build so much easier. Specially as I’m assuming the headset comes attached and the crown race on the fork etc.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

No tools are needed for the integrated headset (I got that from Dolan too) and it’s a split crown race, so dead simple.

I’m sure – if you asked them – they’d assemble that for you, they’re very helpful.

The Dolan is a big jump up in terms of quality of finish, welds etc. I’m very impressed with mine.

RealMan
    Free Member

Could only find one that was close to my size, and it’s got a few cosmetic damages which is a bit off putting. And it’s just a frame, I’d still have to buy everything else. Cheers though.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What's the STW consensus? / PSA: super value frameset’ is closed to new replies.