Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What's the stiffest flat pedal shoe?
  • TooTall
    Free Member

I was on a training and skills course this weekend and we were using flat pedals. They were OK for most of the riding but my shoes (Teva riding shoes) just had way too much flex. What’s the stiffest flat shoe? 5.10 looked pretty flexy too.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Stiff shoes for flats sort of defeats the point of running flats.

chakaping
    Free Member

My Sombrio shoes are much stiffer than my 5:10s.

I tend to take them if there’s gonna be a decent amount of hike-a-bike.

Dunno if they are still on sale though.

rickon
    Free Member

Five Ten VXis are very stiff, a load stiffer than freeriders. Freerider Danny MacAskil are stiffer than the standard ones.

The Shimano AM42 is very soft.

Personally, I find softer soles give me foot ache on longer rides – whereas the VXis with a stiff sole don’t.

TooTall
    Free Member

Not really. It’s still my feet that I’m putting on pedals and I like a little bit more support. I have size 12 feet so there is a lot of foot not on the pedal.

Speeder

You may feellike you do but it’s probably detrimental says this guy Why you don’t need stiff soled riding shoe for flat pedals

I’d agree but then my size 8s don’t even compare, so what do I know?

bigjim

the old shimano AM40s were good as they had an optional stiff insert you could put into the sole to replace the foam one. Sadly they dropped this for the AM41 so I use Superfeet in my AM41’s which aren’t as stiff as shimano’s old insert but are better than nothing.

I do actually have a pair of AM40s that I bought that are too big for me and might fit you https://flic.kr/p/auiZoa , if you are interested and can deal with the styling, I kinda like them myself!

don’t be silly

TooTall
    Free Member

FFS. All shoes have different stiffness in their soles. If no stiffness were needed in flat-pedal shoes, we’d all be riding in 1980s Vans or Converse.
    I would like to find a shoe with less flex than my current pair, not an attempt to replicate my near-rigid clipless shoes.

mark_b
    Free Member

Do they have to be biking specific or just a flat soled trainer with some grip?

If so i use DC court graffik which are much stiffer than the Vans they replaced.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What's the stiffest flat pedal shoe?’ is closed to new replies.