Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Whats the score with the rubber bits on Tricross forks?
  • scratch
    Free Member

best guess is they go some way to prevent brake judder?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Marketing men speak says it’s to dampen road vibration. Personally, I think it’s to cover the unsightly join for the brake bosses.

PeteG55
    Free Member

The zertz insert? I guess its just a dampener, for high frequency vibration. No idea if it actually works. You can also find them in the Roubaix fork,chainstay and seatpost.

scratch
    Free Member

Ahh not seen one close up, got a hankering after a Spesh Crux at the moment, wondered why the differance. ta.

timbur
    Free Member

To make it look ugly. Saying that as long as your riding it you don’t really notice how phat it is.

Brake judder – oh yes. Lots of that. You need a hanger off the fork to prevent it rather than one off the headset.

Tim

Onzadog
    Free Member

I never had brake judder using the mini v brakes that it came with.

brakes
    Free Member

I noticed reduced road vibration with Spec forks with zertz inserts in compared to a carbon fork
    I’ve also got them on a seatpost, but not sure that it makes a difference as one has fallen out (!)

timbur
    Free Member

I bought a frame SH and put Tektro CR550’s on it. The front judders. A friend has the same problem with Frogleg brakes so maybe MiniV’s don’t suffer from judder.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Isn’t judder caused by resonance in the bare vertical cable – which mini-vs don’t have?

bommer
    Free Member

you need an old kona style crown mounted brake stop for the judder issue. New tricross has new frame and fork, little bit slimmer and no zertz.

oldgit
    Free Member

Don’t know what the hell it does, but I can’t help think ‘foreskin’ when I see it 😐

Onzadog
    Free Member

Al, that’s my understanding. I even heard of a chap who, as an experiment, clamped an old front mech to the bare cable to affect the resonance which it did. Not really a long term solution though.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its the Zertz inserts and I agree with Brakes they do feel more compliant over bumps than ‘normal’ carbon forks.

They have them on the seat stays of the higher end Specialized road bikes too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye Steve, I’d have thought even a wee bolt clamped on would do t.

I run discs tho! 😎

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Whats the score with the rubber bits on Tricross forks?’ is closed to new replies.