Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • what's the ruling on having a bonfire in the garden?
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Should I be worried that I’m going to upset the neighbours or can I just ( legally ) get on with it?

cloudnine
    Free Member

What are you burning that cant be recycled? Bodies?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Why not ask them? Or let them know so they don’t hang washing? Or stuff like that…

langylad
    Free Member

Legally you can’t have a fire within 50 feet (yards?, I should remember but I did this legislation a long time ago), of a highway. Can’t remember anyone ever being prosecuted for it though (apart from that motorway episode), so crack on I say 😀

tymbian
    Free Member

I’ve got a shed to build & wanted to burn some off-cuts and other bits of wood I’ve lying around,…

@Cloudnine …recycling can’t beat a bonfire….

@threefish…I don’t speak to the neighbour on one side as there the reason I’m having to build another shed.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You mean you don’t have a wood burner or a ‘fire pit’?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Bigger the better 😈

tymbian
    Free Member

I know right…unheard of…

Fire-pit on the cards for this year. Keeping an eye out for an Indian cooking pan/ wok type thing.

oldschool

Bigger the better

Goes without saying.

Murray

Diesel not petrol…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

No laws about having a garden bonfire but there are laws about the nuisance it may cause. You’d have to get regular complaints from neighbours for it to go anywhere though.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Heres how to get it going..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOOc5kT39ec[/video]

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

I just usually spark one up in the evening and when its raining,no one ever said anything even when i burnt the old settee and chairs. not doing that again though the smoke was horrendous. 😳

soobalias
    Free Member

its ok to burn your old sofa in the garden, but dont light a spliff

teethgrinder

There are laws about burning stuff that causes black smoke, so no adhoc necklacing.

yunki
    Free Member

you’re not allowed one

john_drummer
    Free Member

Chiminea?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Mcmoonters got it, after work on our house and garden we had a pile of combustible material as big as a house, there was a flicker of concern 10 minutes after i lit it. 😯

wrightyson
    Free Member

What a dumb mother Hubbard in that video!!!! Petrol is explosive shocker!!!’

soobalias
    Free Member

that video is great tho.

tymbian
    Free Member

I was at Santa Pod a few years back for their bonfire day/ night ‘Flame & Thunder’ event. They lit the bonfire by backing the jet car up to the pile of wood and started her up.

Trekster

If it was your neighbour doing the burning what would your response be?
    Bound to be an answer on your local council/environmental health web site I would imagine 💡

njee20
    Free Member

nothing to add but that video’s excellent!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Oh who cares, don’t be so square, just get on with life!

bueller
    Free Member

Stockpile it until the hottest, sunniest day of the year and all the kids are playing outside, there are people out enjoying BBQ’s and everyone has their washing out. Then light it and bugger off out. That’s what most the meatballs who I’ve lived near have done.

Alternatively, a winters evening when there is little to no wind and everyone is inside with the windows shut is a good time.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member
    cchris2lou

as i have discovered this morning, midday at the end of december is not a good time .
    neighbour shouted he had some washing out , must have been 3 degrees C …….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘what's the ruling on having a bonfire in the garden?’ is closed to new replies.