Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What's the riding like in the New Forest?
  • IHN

Looking for a weekend camping and biking destination, thinking about the New Forest.

Any recommendations for routes, is it all all legal/map-followable or does it require cheeky local knowledge?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

For:
    Loads of good pubs close to the trails.
    Good place to chill out and watch the animals.
    If the weather’s good enough you can ride off road most of the way to the beach.
    Plenty of singletrack if you know where to look.
    Good place to introduce kids/novices to mountain biking.

Against:
    All the best bits are cheeky.
    Can seem a bit crowded at peak times.
    Generally flat (if that bothers you).

Ro5ey
    Free Member

🙂 Pretty Pony 😆

I’ll get my coat

IHN

For:
    Loads of good pubs close to the trails.
    Good
    Good place to chill out and watch the animals. Good
    If the weather’s good enough you can ride off road most of the way to the beach. Good
    Plenty of singletrack if you know where to look. Hmm, I won’t though will I?
    Good place to introduce kids/novices to mountain biking. Ideal

Against:
    All the best bits are cheeky.
    Not great (not that I mind them being cheeky, I just won’t know where they are)
    Can seem a bit crowded at peak times. It’ll be a weekend in Feb
    Generally flat (if that bothers you). Not really

Anyone fancy showing me and my newbie-ish Mrs around? There’s a pint in it for you…

DT78
    Free Member

Google Newforce – they are the local club. Been meaning too for a while….

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

New Forest is a bit boring – where do you live?

Nick

For such a lovely place, with so much potential, it’s never failed to disappoint me.

IHN

where do you live?

Cheltenham.

Looking for a weekend away in Feb, just thought that I’d never really been to the New Forest. Not looking for rad amounts of gnarr, just some nice riding for me and the aforementioned newbie-ish Mrs.

timidwheeler

We struggled with finding an out of season campsite. Sandy Balls has gravel pitches only and we couldn’t find anywhere else actually in the forest? Anyone know anywhere?

IHN

We’d probably stay here:

http://www.hurstviewleisure.co.uk/open-camp.htm

Not actually in the Forest, but reasonable all year round site with decent pub/town in walking distance.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Anyone know anywhere?

setthorns if you have a toilet.

new forest id nice for pootling round, nipping to pubs, seeing some wildlife etc. there is some decent singletrack but don’t expect a mountain bike mecca.

it is lovely for what it is.

xiphon
    Free Member

Plenty of cheeky trails around the NF – miles of single-track thanks to the animals wandering around…

Flat, but the trails make up for it. I lived there for 10 years, in Brockenhurst.

If you need bike spares, Cycle Experience in Brockenhurst is a top shop… and it’s opposite Foresters pub 🙂

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Riding: Plenty – give me a shout!
    Camping: Most of it does close for the winter….

69er
    Free Member

What ciderinsport[/u] said, and he may know some good pubs….

Anyone fancy showing me and my newbie-ish Mrs around? There’s a pint in it for you…

and will anything for a pint 😀

Just make sure you do the riding first!

ciderinsport
    Free Member

69er – Member

Thanks! 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

How about Forest of Dean instead.

69er
    Free Member

Much better pubs and more of them in the New Forest! Just ask ciderinsport[/u]

Newbies don’t like climbs, it’s a fact. They like the stops

IHN

ciderinsport – cheers for the offer, if we decide on the New Forest I’ll drop you a mail nearer the time (thinking about the 18/19 Feb).

jambalaya
    Free Member

New Forest can be quite bleak in February, it’s generally flat but the weather blows in direct from the sea to the South West. You could ride down to Lymington and across to the Yarmouth and the IOW, ferry’s bloody expensive mind. How about the Purbecks as an alternative ? I’d suggest you find a B&B too, camping in the UK in Feb you’re bonkers.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’d go for the purbecks as well tbh.

IHN

camping in the UK in Feb you’re bonkers

Nah, just dead ‘ard 🙂

Purbecks, hmmm…

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Purbecks are more interesting.If you need any advice give me a shout.Corfe Castle/Wareham forest close by.Behind studland bay.Encombe.Lovely views of the sea up there.

FieldMarshall

I live in the New Forest and concur with the previous posts that whilst there is a lot of riding, most of it is dull fireroad. There is by all accounts some cheeky stuff but in Feb it’s likely to be hard going.

If you are after a bimble to a pub then there are many options. if you are after technical flowy trails then I would look elsewhere.

Also as stated above most of the campsites will be closed.

For what it’s worth I recently stayed at the Forest Holidays campsite in the FoD. Good facilities inc a new Eco cafe and a good mix of technical and beginner trails in the FoD.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What's the riding like in the New Forest?’ is closed to new replies.