Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Whats the problem with Barclays and HSBC making good profits?
  • Smee
    Free Member

Some sections of the media are reporting it like those banks have just shat on all our cornflakes. Just what exactly is the problem with them making a profit?

will
    Free Member

I'm guessing it is because they got in huge amount of debt through silly lending. Then expected the government/tax payers to bail them out. After all that they still make nice profits…

Although having said that I have nothing against them.

Smee
    Free Member

I Like Tom, analysing man's comments.

jonb
    Free Member

Yep, and a lot of the "dodgy" dealing in the run up to all of this was done by our pension funds as well.

BigDummy
    Free Member

That is my favourite piece by the Mash since the thing about Amanda Holden's vagina. 🙂

It's a funny one. I'm settling for "I'm glad they're making a profit, it proves everything is getting better again" and leaving it at that. But I haven't yet lost my job, my home or my dignity as a result of some bloke suddenly realising that his bank was broken as a result of his own daftness, so I'm not as angry as I suppose some people are…

mrmo
    Free Member

thing is, this is only a minor point, HSBC and Barclays didn't have any handouts….

cynic-al
    Free Member

BigDummy – Member

That is my favourite piece by the Mash since the thing about Amanda Holden's vagina.

WTF111

Linkage pleez

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Two banks that weren't "saved" by Gordo the Magnificent do well, as mrmo points out. Well done them. Here's hoping this is part of a wider recovery for everyone.

momo

mrmo – Member

thing is, this is only a minor point, HSBC and Barclays didn't have any handouts….

I was about to say exactly the same thing myself.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Except that their counterparties on vast numbers of transactions were propped up by government. If your assets include debts owed to you by someone who is going broke, and someone else saves your debtor from going broke, you get to treat that asset as being worth something, which helps if you're trying to show a profit. I do not know, but I'd be surprised if that had no effect on the balance sheets of these institutions.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Whats the problem with Barclays and HSBC making good profits?’ is closed to new replies.