Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Whats the point…honestly?
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

Ipad about to be available for 200 nuggets, and a 24 month contract for data sim, which will be about 27 nuggets a month.

Almost tempted but I am still left with the profound feeling that the iPad is not really a solution to anything, or actually providing me with anything I don’t get with a laptop or desktop PC ( or Mac).

What am I missing? Is it so obvious it is right in front of me? or is this another case of fizzy Thames water in a silly plastic bottle?

glenh
    Free Member

iPad is not a substitute for a laptop, unless all you do with your laptop is surf the web and email.

What it is however, is an instant on, zero faff device that is great to use anywhere you like (at home, on the train, in bed, in the bath, on the bog…) , has plenty of fun games, great for music and video streaming, fantastic for showing photos to friends, and is not a bad e-reader.

If those things aren’t important to you then just use a laptop.

AndyRT
    Free Member

so basically an online thingy then?

Junkyard
    Free Member

because you are worth it and it certainly is not worth it

glenh
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s pointless without an internet connection (with the exception of locally stored books and photos etc).

AndyRT
    Free Member

so it’s a waste of time? SO why do I want one…

MEDIC!!!!!

maccruiskeen

If you can’t think of a use for one then you don’t want one. Its a mistake to compare them to a laptop, they are not for you to do work on, or do work for you. They are just easy access to info and content. Most people consume much more than they create with their computers and with so many applications and so much computing power being available through the other end of your browser all most people actually need is a convenient vehicle to interact with it.

jon1973
    Free Member

Ipad about to be available for 200 nuggets, and a 24 month contract for data sim, which will be about 27 nuggets a month.

So it will cost you 848 nuggets over two years, that still sounds a lot. How much data a month do you get on that contract.

AndyRT
    Free Member

1Gb I think. Its all unofficial right now, as just speculation after initial announcements by Orange etc

DezB
    Free Member

+ the price of a Bluetooth keyboard. I’ve tried typing stuff onto the forum with the on-screen keyboard and it drives me nuts.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

If it was waterproof and shock proof, it might be worth the cash.

jon1973
    Free Member

a Bluetooth keyboard defeats the object of having an iPad surely?

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’m gonna get a v2 when it’s out next year. It certainly won’t replace my quad core uber PC, but for 90% of my “computing” I’ll use the ipad on the sofa…internet/email mostly…plus, where available I’m going to move to digital magazines (Singletrack & XXC for a start, others are bound to follow) as after being reluctant at first, I’m now sold on the idea of digital mags. Once Marvel & others sort out their stupid prices, I’ll also subscribe to some of their titles in digital format. It also looks ace as a device for reading interactive stories to my kids…that Alice in Wonderland app for example looks brilliant.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

A solution waiting for a problem I personally think the i-pad is.

Ok, look at it subjectivley, it’s a large i-pod touch. You can use it as a netbook (which are cheaper and run an OS you can actually use) you can use it as a kindle (what’s wrong with books exactly) …….i’m struggling to think of other uses for it to be honest

A laptop does it all better and you can run Flash and proper programs

And I am a fan of Apple, but i really can’t see the point of this

MrNutt
    Free Member

3 mobile do a sim only for the ipad, £15 per month, 10GB data, its the best i could find.

brant
    Free Member

We have one.

My son (age 4) uses it almost exclusively.

He plays “roll the ball around the maze” games on it.

Cougar

You can get iPads with keyboards right now. They’re called “laptops” (google it).

DezB
    Free Member

a Bluetooth keyboard defeats the object of having an iPad surely?

Not at all – most of it’s use is by touch-screen: dragging, pinching, spreading fingers, but if you want to type….

fatmax

Ditto what Brant said. I’ve got pals that have one, and its great for their kids and looking at photos, but they use the laptop/PC most of the time…

I_did_dab
    Free Member

This says it all… Apple Wheel 😀

AndyRT
    Free Member

Brant, it made me chortle, that Apple spent years to create a device that is now just a cyber replacement for a small wooden box, a ball bearing and some holes.

DezB
    Free Member

More of a large trunk containing a bunch of different small boxes with holes, a few photo albums, a pinball machine, some old books and a Buckeroo.

glenh
    Free Member

Boba Fatt – Member

A laptop does it all better and you can run Flash and proper programs

It might do what you want to do better, but the ipad does what I want to do at home 90% of the time better.

Horses for courses etc.

mos

I use an Archos screen thing with a hdd for watching pron on the bog. Can see an ipad being a good replacement for that.

brant
    Free Member

iPad also gives me wrist ache holding it. I’d rather watch The Apprentice on iplayer on my phone, balanced on my crotch than hold the flippin ipad.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve had a play around with a few of my colleagues iPads’s and while it’s a nice bit of kit I can’t figure out what it’s actually for. My wife has a Kindle and it’s much better for eBooks plus is smaller, lighter and has much better battery life. For everything else I can think of a netbook or laptop is better.

Jerome
    Free Member

Loving mine.
    Work laptop only here, so fills my need.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Whats the point…honestly?’ is closed to new replies.