Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 145 total)
  • What's the point of the royals?
  • Guessing at the numbers here, but The Royal Family cost £60 000 000 a year to keep.
    That’s about £1 per UK resident, or £2 per UK tax payer.
    I pay about £10 000 tax a year (income tax, NI, fuel duty, VAT etc.)

So that’s 0.0002% of my tax goes to keeping them.

uplink
    Free Member

this thread surely proves my point

I’m not entirely sure that half a dozen people on a bicycle forum is proof of a great deal TBH
    You may well have a lower acceptance level for proof than me however, but I’ll pass on it being a done deal for now if that’s OK?

RustySpanner

anagallis_arvensis – Member

this thread surely proves my point on the Harry’s hero’s thread they are just a load of scavenging PR whore’s

No it doesn’t, completely different thing.
    I don’t mind Harry as an individual, I think given his circumstances he’s turned out quite well.
    Yes, he’s being manipulated, but I’m not brave enough to do what he’s done.

Don’t mind his brother either.

I still despise the monarchy as an parasitical institution though.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m sure there are some figures out there that demonstrate that the Royals are actually profitable to the state overall.

Hmm, I’d suspect such figures might be ‘massaged’ somewhat.

And are there any figures that demonstrate the existence of the Monarchy’s real benefit to Society? Not just in monetary terms…

Tradition. 1000+ years of history. Which is more than the USA and Australia can manage together, so it’s worth it for that alone!

That’s an incredibly Anglocentric view, Podster. Those places had culture and civilisations way before the White Man came and destroyed them. Same in Central/South America. Look at what happened to the Mayans, Incas, Aztecs etc…

RustySpanner

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

Guessing at the numbers here, but The Royal Family cost £60 000 000 a year to keep.
    That’s about £1 per UK resident, or £2 per UK tax payer.
    I pay about £10 000 tax a year (income tax, NI, fuel duty, VAT etc.)

So that’s 0.0002% of my tax goes to keeping them.

Don’t really care about the money, but it is annoying.

It’s the fawning, mindless deference that has me wistfully eyeing lamp posts.

Dobbo

Guessing at the numbers here, but The Royal Family cost £60 000 000 a year to keep.

You can double that, since it does not include the cost of security provided by the Police and the Army, the lost revenue of the Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster and other expenses

Edit: and does it matter what % of your tax it is, the overall cost and money could be spent on worthwhile causes.

rkk01
    Free Member

That’s an incredibly Anglocentric view

You don’t need to go as far afield as the americas etc to illustrate the Anglocentric viewpoit….

and does it matter what % of you tax it is

Well, no, but I was trying to put it in perspective.
    The Royal Family always stir up a lot of strong opinions while the other 99.998% gets largely ignored.

OK, so it’s £120m, not £60m.
    Still, you could build 3km of 6 lane motorway for that or fire 240 cruise missiles at a sandy country somewhere.
    Much better value for money.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Or build, equip and staff a couple of health centres or something…

Or, to put it another way, it’s about 1/160 of the cost of the NHS’s failed computer system.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Or a new school or two.

Why always use negative examples to try to prove a point?

Or 1/250 of the cost of the high speed rail link.

Dobbo

And year on year it starts clocking up, £1 200 000 000 over 10 years etc…

If you get woodworm it’s gonna cost, but these parasites are in a league of their own.

The riots only cost the tax payer £100 million, seems a bargain.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You can buy meat for cheaper than most redwoods stuff so why not give it a go?
    It is not just about absolute cost but also about the principle.

RustySpanner

I thought you didn’t like people who live in publicly funded housing Graham? 😀

But I agree with you in this case, their accents are awful.

Why always use negative examples to try to prove a point?

Because the discussion seems to based around the negative aspects of paying for a royal family.
    Yes, it would be better to spend the money on something that would be a positive benefit to more people, but as wastage goes, they’re nowhere near as bad as a lot of other tax payer funded things.

RustySpanner

Ok, forget about the money.
    Some of us despise the institution for what it is and what it represents, not what it costs.

How do you feel about them otherwise?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yes, it would be better to spend the money on something that would be a positive benefit to more people, but as wastage goes, they’re nowhere near as bad as a lot of other tax payer funded things.

See, this is purely a question of how much something costs, in monetary terms. What about the social aspect of all this? This is something that is routinely ignored, and then we wonder why people riot and stuff….

ilovemygears
    Free Member

i dont know, but one day i hope to rule he country and when i do they will be executed in a public way..and it will be horrific 🙂

fatboyslo
    Free Member

What’s the point of the royals?

Could say that about any one really …..

Reality TV Stars ( sic)

So called celebrities ..

over paid kick ballers

people who winge about how unfair life is, then do **** all to change theirs …. ( or go on a looting spree )

Truth is there is not a lot of point to most things in this world,

but there are still a lot of pointless things that bring joy to millions in differant ways

Rainbows,
    Music,
    Nature at it’s best
    Mountain Bikes
    Trail Centres
    Football

oh and the Royals …. if no one cares about them how come around 1 million made a trip to London not long back on the off chance of getting a glimpse of the latest person to join the firm ?

They may not seem relevant to you but they still have a place in society … like it or not

totalshell

no issue with the concept at all. largely ceremonial the big five Q, DoE, charlie, anne and jedward do much much more than anybody elected would ever do, we dont have to hane more elections every 65 years we dont have to have retirement plans we get a good deal anybody know anybody else Q’s age who works as long as she does ( ie not free to do what she might want to do ie play in garden with corgis.) no we get a good deal.
    i’d rather stand up for my country lead by a monarch rather than tony blair.. sure we could scale back the expense but jedward both have jobs and i’m sure over the next 20 yrs we ll see a modern monarchy develop i dont see bill and cath living in buck house for instance.
    long may they rule over us.. ( well wear ermin at least)

goodgugu
    Free Member

I am surprised to see the number of people on here who would like to see them gone (each to their own).
    Personally I think as a country we have given away far too much tradition and far too many values and are in danger of becoming just another European Country dining out on past glory.
    I still have pride in being British and what the country stands for. Part of that pride is based on the culture and values of Great Britain, although they seem to ebb away every day…

Whatever the Royal Family costs to maintain (including security etc.), it brings in far more financially than it costs – a given fact. Americans flock here in their droves, and it ain’t for the weather or Swinley Forest.

Just my thoughts..

uplink
    Free Member

Loads of people are born with the genes that make them more likely to be rich and have privileges

Take that bastid Rooney, why should him and his mates get all that money just because they have the right genes?

TBH, I reckon I’ve had a privileged life too, healthy family of my own and even managed to foster a few more that brought us happiness
    The royals [or footballers] have nothing I want thanks

bikebouy
    Free Member

Do Harry and Will get paid for being in the Forces? I wonder about that sometimes.

Anyhoo’s it’s all going “understairs” isn’t it, I mean whatshername married an ex Rugby player t’other week..

Klunk
    Free Member

I’d be quite happy with the Russian solution.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Can’t see us ever ditching the royals.

I enjoy my life, and if i had to decide what was ditched on order for me to save £1 on my tax bill the royals would be nowhere near the top.

BermBandit
    Free Member

I still have pride in being British and what the country stands for. Part of that pride is based on the culture and values of Great Britain, although they seem to ebb away every day…

What like being an failing colonial power, still reveling in the fac tthat we have historically taken whatever we chose by force, leaving in our wake horrendous turmoil that carries on for centuries, or a system based on nepotism and privilige that actively gravitates against achieving excellence and therefore reversing that decline?

DaRC_L

1) there’s a lot of meet & greet that needs to be done running a country – so either elect a president (as in Eire) to do it or have a hereditary one. They still cost so any figures quoted for the royalty also include this. Getting rid of the Royalty would not save £60m – particularly as the upkeep of the palaces etc…. would still need to be paid for.
    2) many cultures in the world (e.g. Arab nations & Japan) still have royalty – it gives greater credibility having our own.
    3) Military are loyal to the royalty not gov’t = seperation of authority is essential in any democracy. So just as the judiciary need to be independent from gov’t but answerable to it, so does the military.
    4) Tourists – what we pay for royalty is paid back in tourism. The tourists like the fact that the royalty are still here.
    5) Longevity – the Queen can advise the PM on all the world leaders as she’s met many of them or their predecessors.

Just a few reasons why a President can’t do the job as effectively as Royalty (plus we get the occasional extra day off for Deaths / Marriages)

miketually
    Free Member

Whatever the Royal Family costs to maintain (including security etc.), it brings in far more financially than it costs – a given fact. Americans flock here in their droves, and it ain’t for the weather or Swinley Forest.

Is it the roayls that they come to see, or the buildings/events?

The buildings would still be there. We could still have the changing of the guards, etc.

When those Americans get home, they can tell their kids that they can be head of state one day, if they work hard. We’re stuck here telling our kids that they’re not as good as the Windsors.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

What like being an failing colonial power, still reveling in the fac tthat we have historically taken whatever we chose by force, leaving in our wake horrendous turmoil that carries on for centuries, or a system based on nepotism and privilige that actively gravitates against achieving excellence and therefore reversing that decline?

Better than being french.

druidh
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    We’re stuck here telling our kids that they’re not as good as the Windsors.

Especially if they are Catholic.

bikebouy
    Free Member

the Queen can advise the PM on all the world leaders as she’s met many of them or their predecessors.

Certainly she can, “Oi Blair Boy go kill that Sadam fella I used to entertain and we used to support” and “Do you think going into Afganistan is a good idea BlairBoy?, you do.. ahh go on then, but don’t take my boys with you”

You state she has influence, then why did she agree to thses examples.

I think you’ll find she’s marionalised somewhat by biggoted fat Civil Servants with fek all alse to moan about.

miketually
    Free Member

Does the queen appoint Bishops to the Lords? There’s a problem, right there.

DaRC_L

You state she has influence, then why did she agree to thses examples.

I didn’t state she had influence I stated she’d met them. So can advise about personality etc….

marginalised somewhat by biggoted fat Civil Servants with fek all alse to moan about.

Isn’t that gov’t as well (a la Yes Minister)

Stuey01
    Free Member

Is it the roayls that they come to see, or the buildings/events?

They come for the Royals, they are frigging obsessed with them. All the American tourists I’ve met are well up on the lives of the current Royals, way more than most Brits.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

If I may interject at this juncture.

There isn’t actually any “point”, to anything.

Message ends.

As you were.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

“We could still have the changing of the guards, etc.”

they would however, be guarding nothing surely? 😉

druidh
    Free Member

They could be “guarding” an elected president

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Selle Royal? Good saddles them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Personally I think as a country we have given away far too much tradition and far too many values and are in danger of becoming just another European Country dining out on past glory.

Ah, let’s all stand on deck, salute and sing ‘God save The Queen’, as we slip down into the icy depths….

When those Americans get home, they can tell their kids that they can be head of state one day, if they work hard. We’re stuck here telling our kids that they’re not as good as the Windsors.

This. Here is Wisdom.

Sadly, however:

Better than being french.

This is just jingoistic, ignorant and insulting.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘What's the point of the royals?’ is closed to new replies.