Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • What's the point of jumps?
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Why is everyone always going on and on about jumps! What’s the big deal?!? Building jumps, going over jumps, looking for jumps, standing around watching people going over jumps, going over jumps and going “whoop” really loudly. Everyones obsessed!

Sometimes people say they are “going mountain biking” but then just cycle to some jumps and stand around looking at the jumps and riding the jumps once every 10 minutes and getting really excited. People don’t “go for a walk” by standing around in the woods and watching each other jump up and down.

Sometimes people seem to get bored of doing jumps, but then they turn their handlebars or tilt the bike and suddenly get excited about jumps again! And these jumps keep going up everywhere. Even where they shouldn’t be jumps, like on trails I ride, making me and possibly other people fall off. It’s ridiculous. Eventually everything will be jumps!

I don’t get it. What’s so great about your wheels going off the ground and then going back on the ground again??

PS: I can’t do jumps.

DrP

Go back home granddad, leave the kidzzz to their fun….

😉

DrP

qwerty
    Free Member

People don’t “go for a walk” by standing around in the woods and watching each other jump up and down.

Err, yes they do… dogging

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

hmm, maybe i miss-heard and it’s really dirty jumping rather than dirt jumping?

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Was talking to my mate about this yesterday. I can’t jump, trying but failing for the most part, but some div/s decided to takes three consecutive rollers and make the roll-off point so deep, actually rolling it is dangerous. The irony being that they were built in such a way, intentional or not, that, if you were adept at jumping or learning to jump, you could hit these and still jump. Beggars belief. It’s a fairly tech trail but rideable for a good majority; now it favours the minority. Plain dumb.

hols2
    Free Member

People don’t “go for a walk” by standing around in the woods and watching each other jump up and down.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8grzRgQ_AWY[/video]

Trimix
    Free Member

They just do it to annoy you.

sharkattack

….Eventually everything will be jumps!

Bring it on!

Rorschach
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I was old when i was young too.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

PS: I can’t do jumps.

There’s ^^^^ the answer

submarined
    Free Member

What’s the point in long distance rides? I can’t do long distance rides.

It’s almost like there are many aspects to our sport, and something for everyone to enjoy, but that most people don’t enjoy all of them. Odd, huh? It’s almost like life.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I like jumps, they’re fun and I don’t get all sweaty and tired like real Mountain Biking.

Not dirt jumps though, they look scary.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There’s ^^^^ the answer

Thanks! I was wondering why I wrote that 😉

Northwind

I’ve nothing against jumps but the ground is obviously better. You’ve got mud, ruts, rocks, roots, all manner of mountain biking. Whereas the sky is smooth and boring.

Perversely though I do like jumping when there isn’t an official jump and you’re using a root or something to take off. Artisan free-range jumping.

RustySpanner

A milk crate and an old ironing board innit?
    40 years ago, but I’m sure I could curl out a rad One Handed Superman Seatpost Insertion if required.

I just don’t feel like it today, ok?

Must be easy, kids do it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Jumps are for chumps

maxtorque

i’m 43, and i LOVE jumping stuff!

woosh, fly, set me free, free as a bird…….

(try not to end with thud… smash… tumble….crunch…..snap obvs 😉

cyclelife
    Free Member

I’m 57 and love jumping – so there!

sideshow
    Free Member

I love airtime even though I’m rubbish at it.

I guess riding smoothly over rough terrain always feels good, so viewed from that perspective jumping is the highest possible endeavour

Try paragliding, it’s like riding a 100% jump trail with no messy dirt at all. I’m rubbish at that too, mind

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Some people are addicted to it, the brother of mine hit a large gap drop at Hamsterly blind (as in didnt check it out before hand)…for fun… the other day…

Its a different mindset.

Sundayjumper

It’s rad and makes for good pics on facey-b.

Pics of simply riding along, without skidding or being well gnar, are boring.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Jumps are for chumps

(dirt) ramps are for champs

Some people are addicted to it

guilty. Also building them, which is more addictive than riding them and so might explain why they crop up all over, although I try and stick to building in places that won’t bother any existing trail users (including walkers).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

To stop white men in their tracks. 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

Jumps are okay it’s those bloody roots all over the place that are the problem.

chrismac

I enjoy jumps as part of a trail, its all part of the tapestry of the ride.

Specifically dirt jumping, if thats what people want to do then fine, but its not really mountain biking IMHO

RobHilton
    Free Member

Jumps are okay it’s those bloody roots all over the place that are the problem

Massimiliano agrees with you

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_6IjeprfEs[/video]

mjsmke

I like jumps if they’re on route or more natural jumps but not really into standing around riding the same jump over and over. When I was a kid I was the same. I got bored jumping and watching others do the same but then I wasn’t very good at it so I guess that’s why I was bored. I was more into trials and always looking for challenging hills to ride up and down. I was the first of my mates to be able to track stand but the last to be able to bunny hop.

It’s all down to what you get a buzz from. XC, Trail, Trials, Jumping, DH, it’s all mountain biking after all.

kayak23

I’m the miggeda miggeda miggeda miggeda mack daddy.

[video]http://youtu.be/010KyIQjkTk[/video]

scottfitz
    Free Member

I did a jump once

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Gives the arms a rest a d your legs for bit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

PS: I can’t do jumps

Imagine that.

flaps
    Free Member

I don’t mind the jumps (although I rarely get ‘air’) but the thing that does wind me up is the twisting of bars on videos when in the air. WHY DO THIS?!?! The more I see it the more it annoys me!

ehrob

Because it’s fun?

rawka
    Free Member

Because nobody likes the look of a dead sailor!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Because it looks cool – the logical end point is being able to carry off a proper “bubba scrub” – which will madsively improve your riding control.

stevied
    Free Member

I love jumps but there aren’t any on the local stuff so when I go somewhere with jumps (like Revs last Friday) I can start to get it right by the end of the day. Then I go back to my normal riding and forget how to do it..

I’m 43 too:

Stevet1
    Free Member

I love jumps but there aren’t any on the local stuff so when I go somewhere with jumps

Get digging young man!
    As usual if anyone near Preston wants to meet up I have a spot with a few jumps and features that I’ve built.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I love jumps but there aren’t any on the local stuff so when I go somewhere with jumps

There are one or two but you need to know where to look, also places like Ribbesford with a few bits not too far away.

Don’t forget Bike Park Malvern (TM) 😉

Goldigger
    Free Member

It’s so you can save energy by not pedalling while your flying through the air…

Crashing also gives you another rest while you recompose yourself in front of everyone.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘What's the point of jumps?’ is closed to new replies.