Viewing 31 posts - 241 through 271 (of 271 total)
  • What's the point of a T5 type van?
  • mark90
    Free Member

i800 (don’t choke on your coffee folks) that seems a brilliant t5 alternative, apart from the scene.

and the lack of LWB option (for those that want it).

The extra 400mm or so is the difference between bikes going in whole lengths ways behind second row seats or needing dismantling.

big_scot_nanny

Just to push things out further – our T5 also has 4 motion, which was comically good this winter in the alps. I know it is a lifestyle choice, but it is just such a good van and family vehicle.

We did test a lot of alternatives, but none had the balance of flexibility, comfort and space. Diving position is awesome too.

I do think, after almost a year, that the T5’s suspension is pretty bad however. It rocks and rolls, crashes over things, judders, makes you seasick on the wrong surface. The Cali was even worse as it is even more top heavy.

Best ride was the new merc V-Klasse. It was amazingly competitively priced compared to T5, even as you ‘spec-up’, and it drove like a dream. But, no 4wd and an interior that was great for a posh airport transfer vehicle, less good for kids and mucky bikes, meant it was the T5 that won.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

I had one. Great bit of kit, bike carrier, changing room, campervan etc etc.

However, in addition to the cost of interior conversion, the maintenance and repairs bills £4800 in 49 months of ownership meant that moving it on was the best financial decision I ever made!

rkk01
    Free Member

Moving on….,

Had a drive in one at the w/e. Drove very well, but was the 2.0 180 bi-turbo 80

So, plenty more to argue about:-

– which motor?
    – which colour?

I’d guess the 140PS is a good compromise between go and efficiency? Suspect I might get fed up putting diesel in the 180

On colours, I see a lot of white and silver conversions, but far less of the other colours. Quite like the look of the bright orange or the “blackberry”

CountZero

Going back to my comment about aesthetics being important, I saw a van in our estate at work last week, not entirely sure of the make, but it was quite nicely turned out, all silver, nice alloys, may have been a Fiat, but somehow it just didn’t have that little extra ‘something that the VW’s have.
    The new Transit Customs, however, are very tasty looking vans, bloke over the road has a work one, and the whole think looks really sleek, lovely front-end and light cluster design, and there’s a slight curve to the roof. Don’t know what they’re like to drive these days, or what engine options, but given enough money, I think I’d seriously look at the Transit Custom over a T5/6.
    There’s a slightly larger, passenger version, with a different name, which looks really nice too.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

hmm… looks like it was designed by Conor McKenzie….

pjm84
    Free Member

Elevating roof on the Cali now starting to sag on the nearside. Will break the “good” news to the Dealer along with the 6300miles I’ve put on the vehicle.

On the plus side ours (correct spec) turns up on Wednesday.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Christ on a bike, you think that looks nice?

CountZero

hmm… looks like it was designed by Conor McKenzie….

Who? Looks more like something Custom Car, might have had a hand in.

jaaaaaaaaaam – Member
    Christ on a bike, you think that looks nice?

Yes. It’s a standard Custom Sport, just with phat wheels.
    Here’s an actual Custom Sport, about the only mods are the front spoiler ends, and the wider tyres and arches, maybe lowered a tad. Nice looking van, plenty of potential for modifying. A 4×4 version would be nice.

This is the longer passenger version, looked better when I saw it on the road than it does in the photo.

I think both look better in the flesh, rather in photos, the one opposite seems very much sleeker.
    I like them, much nicer than anything else out there apart from the VW T’s, apart, possibly, from the Merc Vitos, which seem to have some issues.
    Just been giving the white one a closer study, the only mods are deeper front spoiler section, and deeper sills.
    And the wheels. I stand by what I said, I think it’s a nicely styled van, with plenty of customising potential; don’t know about the engine, I’d guess there’s a fair bit can be done. Other than sticking a Cosworth V8 in the back…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Who? Looks more like something Custom Car, might have had a hand in.

You know, this chap:

Marin
    Free Member

Buy one if you can afford it. Moan on here about them if you can’t.
    Thread finished really.

molgrips
    Free Member

Buy one if you can afford it. Moan on here about them if you can’t.

Or don’t buy one even if you can afford it 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Has anyone looked at the Ford Torneo connect?

Torneo linky

Much better looking than the old version. A van based MPV thats smaller than a T5 or equiv but with a proper car like interior (they do a Titanium trim level with all the niceties). Seats removable, bikes in standing up. Better value than a VW caddy (and less agricultural rear suspension) though the engines look either underpowered or thirsty.

legend
    Free Member

proper car like interior

Defeats the purpose in my eyes. No point in having a van that you’re not happy throwing really mingin kit into

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Not sure about the luggage area but I more meant a decent level of cabin equipment and comfy seats. Back of our caddy maxi is mostly plastic and we have an OEM plastic floor over the carpet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

legend – Member

proper car like interior

Defeats the purpose in my eyes. No point in having a van that you’re not happy throwing really mingin kit into[/quote]

There are certainly 2 types of owners, one thinks like it’s a car. Wants the fast engine, lowered, alloys and massive chav respeckt points for having something a bit bling.
    Others want something that has a massive practical load area, gets over bumps in the road and holds all the kit.

mos

Got mine for free. Sorry, I meant to say i get ‘occasional use’ of our new company van and i definately don’t have it as my own personal vehicle, oh no, absolutely not.

johnnystorm

mikewsmith – Member

There are certainly 2 types of owners, one thinks like it’s a car. Wants the fast engine, lowered, alloys and massive chav respeckt points for having something a bit bling.
    Others want something that has a massive practical load area, gets over bumps in the road and holds all the kit.

3 Types of owners. It’s my car, not fussed about speed or lowering but I do like the alloys and the fact it’s finished like a (modern) car, not like a (basic) van with colour coded bumpers, comfy seats, carpets and insulation in the rear. I do however also want to get over speedbumps while carrying all my gear.

I put the big foam jigsaw puzzle mats in the back of mine.

rkk01
    Free Member

So – anyone got the 140PS motor?

Found a nice Kombi Highline 140… Similar power to my current estate car, any good in the Transporter? Official figures suggest it’s “reasonable” on fuel

legend
    Free Member

Yeah we’ve got a 140 Kombi Highline, had a 140 Passat before it. Van is much slower as you’d imagine, can easily get it over 40mpg though

rkk01
    Free Member

Thanks – I can live with that…

Figured that the 180 might be a bit thirsty (and unecessary)

rkk01
    Free Member

So, what should a T5 Kombi be registered as? Always as a light goods?

deepreddave
    Free Member

mos – Member
    Got mine for free. Sorry, I meant to say i get ‘occasional use’ of our new company van and i definately don’t have it as my own personal vehicle, oh no, absolutely not.

Possible tax evasion/fraud is neither big nor socially responsible. Worry not though as thousands of honest people who do pay their taxes in full will chip in to save you a few bob.

pjm84
    Free Member

Have got my 180 DSG Cali now. Chalk and cheese compared to the 140 manual.

Economy wise not a great difference. Maybe 1 to 2mpg. DSG is sweet and the “coasting” is a little odd to start with.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pjm84 – Member
    Have got my 180 DSG Cali now. Chalk and cheese compared to the 140 manual.

In what way? You trying to make progress? Nice thing about driving the van was it was just easy, no smashing it or anything else. Just comfy driving

pjm84
    Free Member

Comfy driving!

No low first gear. The manual gearing is also a bit spaced out. DSG nips straight into second, smooth changes, great low down torque, better ratios more suited to the engine.

Don’t get me wrong, I did 6500miles in the 140 manual and liked it. Then I drove the 180DSG.

rkk01
    Free Member

So what’s on the V5 for all these vans?

deepreddave
    Free Member

Mine’s a 9 seater shuttle so it’s classed as a car.

boondock

I’ve got a 180DSG, I can easily get 40+ mpg out of it, if I rag it, then it’s more like 30mpg. Even managed 50mpg on a run down the M3 recently, the long stretch of 50mph roadworks helped no end.

It’s a SWB kombi and classed as a light goods vehicle.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Ah, the Greek approach.
    Would you also like us all to chip in for your petrol diesel as well? 🙄

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

Tagged for reference.

Viewing 31 posts - 241 through 271 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘What's the point of a T5 type van?’ is closed to new replies.