Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 271 total)
  • What's the point of a T5 type van?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

I confess that the idea appeals…

But I’m struggling to see any sensible argument to buy something like a T5, compared to, say, a large estate car???

weeksy

you can’t get a motorbike in an estate

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bigger than a car, not a big van size. Also it’s a +20 in the lifestyle points 😉

nickdavies

Large estate car works but isn’t perfect. I’ve used one for years, bikes in, sleep in, carrying kit etc but it only really works for a few nights at a time. Works well if you’re camping though. Bikes inside nice and secure.

T5 can do all that comfortably. You’ll also not get more than 2 of you with bikes inside for a trip in a car but LWB kombi will swallow 5/6 guys and bikes and kit comfortably – brilliant for longer trips away.

However, for most I reckon this is the main reason…

Also it’s a +20 in the lifestyle points

😆

jam-bo

But I’m struggling to see any sensible argument to buy something like a T5, compared to, say, a large estate car???

its bigger.

binners

Cos you’re not only, like… TOTALLY AWESOMEZ dooood, but you also have a large income and a sensible appreciation of German automotive engineering

MSP

It would take a lot of nights in a b&b to cover the costs of a t5.

I admit to kind of liking the idea of being using them as an overnight van, but the alternatives are actually better.

br
    Free Member

Same footprint as a car, but more useable space?

binners

rkk01
    Free Member

Fair enough on the motorbike 😉

Looks like style (and massive cost) over substance otherwise, especially as they don’t actually look very big…?

Surely the crew cab / second row of seats robs most of the advantage of a large load area – and its a hell of a lift to get anything on the roof (eg kayaks)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Judging by some of the overtaking maneouvres that a couple of T5’s were carrying out on the way home from Fort William last night, the whole point of them seems to be that you are instantly a driving god.

muggomagic

Judging by the amount that are parked up near my house in the evenings they are the ONLY van that you can fit your kite surf/wind surf kit into.

nickdavies

Looks like style (and massive cost)

Oh, and with your finance head on they cost a bit more to run but your average T5 tends to depreciate like a helium balloon.

A 10k t5 3 years ago is still a 10k t5 now! Compared to a 10k car which would have lost 6k in that time, big estates have even worse depreciation.

binners

Oh, and with your finance head on they cost a bit more to run but your average T5 tends to depreciate like a helium balloon.

It makes your voice squeaky?

aP
    Free Member

We’re getting a T5 in about 3 weeks its currently being converted into a raised roof campervan. We had a Bongo but its thirsty, elderly, thirsty, small and thirsty. So we’ve decided to go a bit biggerer, with less fuel usage and more perceived surety of driving 2,000 miles across Europe and back without major problems (which we didn’t really have with the Bongo). And hopefully if something does go wonky, then it’ll be a vehicle that someone relatively local with have at least seen before…
    It is quite a lot of money though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I guess you don’t pay extra up front for your residuals?

aP
    Free Member

I guess you don’t pay extra up front for your residuals?

I don’t know what that means, I’m afraid.

binners

Is it something to do with sludge?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

everyone goes on about the amazing residuals/lower depreciation, do you not pay for that when you pick up your expensive second hand van, getting more on the resale is a false economy when you pay more up front.

hb70

We’re all aware of the irony in decrying T5 drivers for paying over the odds for brand and lifestyle happiness. When at the same time paying way more than we need to for our bicycles. It’s the same thing surely?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When at the same time paying way more than we need to for our bicycles. It’s the same thing surely?

Depends if you claim one of them is an economic benefit or not, if you buy a bike for it’s resale then go for it, most of mine go into the ground at the end of life

legend
    Free Member

MSP – Member

It would take a lot of nights in a b&b to cover the costs of a t5.

Company T5 ftw

Estates really don’t compare to vans imo. 3 bikes and 3 people in ours at the weekend. Twin captains chairs up front, and the 2-seater left in the back, acres of room for all involved, mud is easily swept/mopped out. 3 long bikes in without a single wheel off or whatever, plus kit, plus pressure washer. Nothing being scratched against each other whilst loading/unloading or just general driving and it take seconds to get it all in. I would properly miss not having a van

squirrelking
    Free Member

When at the same time paying way more than we need to for our bicycles

Do we? Oh, okay then…

matt_outandabout

They are bigger. They can sometimes be less plush and more ‘mucky kit n kids’ friendly with rubber floors and boot you can chuck bikes and curver boxes in.

I would love one.

But I cannot justify one over the Galaxy we currently have, with added bike and canoe rack, as the vans are most definately more expensive to buy and run.

big_scot_nanny

not exactly an answer to your question, but this thread was very helpful for me:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-needed-convincing-the-missus-that-a-t5-multivan-is-the-ideal-car

And to give you a short answer from a recent convert – all the comfort/toys of a car, but massively, massively, more practical (esp with 3 kids, dog, bikes, etc etc to cart about).

I gave up on “pushing on” driving many years ago (peaked with a Scooby-doo STI), so having a big bus that is massively practical is awesome!

tomd
    Free Member

Had one for a few years now as my only car.

Plus points for me:
    – Ideal for trips away. Throw everything in and go. No worries about muddy kit on the return either.
    – Can be modified to make it comfy to sleep in.
    – Makes a good place to get changed, hide from midges and drink tea
    – Great for multi-sport trips. I can take the bikes away but if I end up going hiking or whatever there’s somewhere secure for them.
    – SWB T5 fits in a standard car parking space and under the normal car park barriers.
    – I like the driving position
    – It’s useful for DIY missions or collecting furniture the wife bought off Gumtree

Downsides:
    – More expensive to run than a car.

I don’t use it day to day for commuting. If I needed to do serious everyday miles I probably wouldn’t have it.

tomd
    Free Member

edit: double post glitch

bedmaker

A van is a wonderful thing for anyone into biking or other outdoorsy stuff.

Avoid the T5 lifstyle tax by buying a Citroen Discpatch, Scudo etc. Get a shiny new one for the cost of a 5-6 year old T5.
    It’s just as good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tomd, everything you said was the same for a bigger transit except for the under the barrier thing. LWB Med High, fitted in all carpark spaces.
    Took 6 bikes permanent double bed, space, seats and room for lots more. Better MPG than most of the big petrol cars suggested in a STW What car thread and cheaper than a VW.

The T5 just gives you the feel cool things

IHN

To borrow from above:

Had one for a few years now as my only car.

Plus points for me:
    – Ideal for trips away. Throw everything in and go. No worries about muddy kit on the return either.
    Has been[s]Can be[/s] modified to make it comfy to sleep and live in.
    – Makes a good place to get changed, hide from midges and drink tea
    – Great for multi-sport trips. I can take the bikes away but if I end up going hiking or whatever there’s somewhere secure for them.
    – SWB T5 fits in a standard car parking space and under the normal car park barriers.
    – I like the driving position
    – It’s useful for DIY missions or collecting furniture the wife bought off Gumtree
    Costs the same to run as a car.

Downsides:
    None really

I don’t use it day to day for commuting. If I needed to do serious everyday miles I probably wouldn’t still have it, as they’re vehicles that are designed for serious every day miles.

molgrips
    Free Member

A van is a wonderful thing for anyone into biking or other outdoorsy stuff.

Maybe if you’re pathalogically embarassed about getting changed in public, terrified of dirtying a car, and addicted to tea…?

EDIT I may be trolling.. but only mostly.. people seem to think they are essential items but they aren’t. Cars do just fine, they drive better and are more economical.

gavstorie
    Free Member

T5’s are built like tanks but drive like cars. Transits are built like cars but drive like tanks. The closest alternative to a T5 is probably the Vivaro/Traffic but they aren’t anywhere near as robust and reliable.

The T5’s are expensive to buy but you do get what you pay for. Mine is just coming up for 330000 miles and its still running sweet..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nice try molgrips nothing nicer then getting changed in a dry warm place out the pissing rain and being able to not have to get naked in a cold wet public car park (unless you enjoy that sort of thing), pack more bikes in and the gas BBq and the stove and the other spare bike, and hang up your wet gear and more…..

Hell no idea about the tea

Anyway all fine without buying a T5, plenty of good vans out there.

Edit to the economy point
    30-32mpg for the transit, as good or better than plenty of cars people suggest in here.

jam-bo

Avoid the T5 lifstyle tax by buying a Citroen Discpatch, Scudo etc. Get a shiny new one for the cost of a 5-6 year old T5.
    It’s just as good.

It’s really not

mos

If you don’t need to put long things in or sleep in it, then have a good look at Transit Custom DCIV, better in every way except auto gearbox & BHP.
    I ended up with a new kombi for that reason, The DCIV has a fixed bulkhead & non-folding rear seats and i need the ability to shift timber & sheets of ply round.
    I have been looking at getting a kombi bed to turn it into a cheapo camper. But other than that the Trannys are better & cheaper. Remember, it’s a 10 year old van now. Although there are loads more options for making T5’s sick & phat etc.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Several surfboards, bikes and a buggy can be wheeled straight into the back. Room for 3 full sized child seats, labrador and 2 adults too.

Excellent utility vehicle for carting all our crap about.

Alex

My riding mate bought on in May last year. So far it’s taken 4 or 5 of us for long trips away to the Alps and the Pyrennes. And day trips to loads of places in the UK. We tend to pick a new location every two or three weeks. It a LWB T5 and takes all the bike and gear with no drama, is comfortable for long (15 hour!) trips away, cheap on the train and zero hassle in terms of bike storage and security.

Off to the Ardeche in Sept… another long trip and apart from the smell of 4 blokes, it’ll be a breeze. Not sure I’d want one, but it’s brilliant to have a mate who does! Definitely ridden loads more interesting locations.

tomd
    Free Member

Mike my T5 is 11 years old, bought cheaply 3rd hand off a mate and on a whim and is covered in dents and smells a bit. Cool doesn’t come into it. Did your Transit run on the fumes of your self righteousness?

IHN

Having a nice van (and I’m not saying T5s exclusively) is basically one of those things where if you don’t have it, you probably don’t miss it, but once you’ve had one, you wouldn’t give it up (and probably kick yourself for not getting one sooner).

molgrips
    Free Member

nothing nicer then getting changed in a dry warm place out the pissing rain and being able to not have to get naked in a cold wet public car park

Ah I see, you’re a delicate little flower, ok I get it 😉

30-32mpg for the transit, as good or better than plenty of cars people suggest in here

Still shit though, around half of what I get in my nice big comfy car.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 271 total)

The topic ‘What's the point of a T5 type van?’ is closed to new replies.