• This topic has 46 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by matts.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Whats the point in Cycling 100 miles?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Also remember, whether you think you can,or think you cant-You’re right !

This +1

No need to get sucked into training plans, or nutritional strategies, just do it.

My last one was after I broke my arm for the 2nd time, I’d barely ridden a bike in 2 years, but the house was clean, the garden was tidy, the in-laws were round and I wanted a day off. So off I popped to the Co-Op for a bag of jelly babies and roasted nuts and off I went.

Slatburn->Whitby (espresso)
    -> Scarborough (ice cream)
    -> Pickering (hit the wall at this point)
    -> Whitby (well and truly in the pain cave)
    -> Guisborough (hallucinated on the hill out of Sandsend, thought someone was shouting at me and crying, tuns out it was me)
    -> Saltburn (fish and chips).

100miles (actually an irritating 99.8 on Strava)

Just enjoying the view and plodding along. Took 7 hours including stops. The route was hell, rolling first half, the road to Pickering isn’t as flat as it looks, and the roads back across the moors were all long slogs up and steep downs in that direction so there was no resting, just what felt like a 50 mile climb. Still ranks as one of my favorite rides.

If I did it again I’d reverse the route to take advantage of the longer descents and steeper climbs heading South in the first half, and I’d maybe do it after a my legs already ache 20miles into it wasn’t fun! It also needed more stops, should have set off earlier, had a pub lunch in Pickering, then stoped in Whitby again for afternoon tea, doing the second 50 without stops on an empty stomach and dehydrated was a mistake.

mattyfez

No need to get sucked into …nutritional strategies, just do it.

doing the second 50 without stops on an empty stomach and dehydrated was a mistake.

😆 😆 8)

I’m the kind that doesn’t feel like eating or drinking unless im hungry or thirsty, I’ve fallen into that trap and it ain’t no fun! I have to have an eating/drinking plan or I’ll just grind to a halt at about 50 miles and have to stop for ages whilst forcing something down.

freeagent
    Free Member

^^^ Yep, been there a few times.

I totally lost the plot on RideLondon last year – got stuck at the bottom of Leith Hill for 90mins and forgot what I was supposed to be eating + drinking in the second half of the event.
    I barely made it over the line and have serious cramp due to dehydration.

Now I try to drink a bottle every hour or so and eat something every 10 miles, even if it is just a mini Maltloaf.

onandon
    Free Member

On Sunday I went for an ‘ adventure ‘ on the new gravel bike. It was only supposed to be a shake down ride to test the gearing and fit, but I ended up doing 70 miles. I had a pot of yogurt for breakfast and took one water bottle for the journey as it was humid 🙂 won’t being doing that again as its a grim feeling when your running on empty with 20 miles to go.

As for, why do 100 miles. I dunno, I’ve done a few and still consider them a challenge but fun. I think it also teaches you about yourself and give you plenty of time to think.

scruff9252

Got a 112 mile ride coming up next month. The ride should be fine, it’s running the marathon straight after I’m getting scared about.

christhetall
    Free Member

Did an accidental century last saturday – 6 hours of riding and 3 hours in two pubs watching footie matches. But it was very easy riding on flat roads – most of the climbing was done in the first 5 miles on my way out of Sheffield. Once you get a bit further east you can be riding on quiet roads, chatting to your mate, and you simply don’t notice the miles clocking up. Easiest 100 miles I’ve ever ridden!

(N.B. Long pub stops are not recommended – much easier to get going again after a short stop)

matts
    Free Member

Now i want to do it but not sure why….

Be careful. It’s like a gateway drug to becoming an audaxer.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Whats the point in Cycling 100 miles?’ is closed to new replies.