Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What's the oldest bit of cycle clothing you still use?…
  • the-muffin-man

For me it’s a ‘Think Pink’ cycling fleece that I bought in 1994. It gets dragged out of storage every winter and is still looking good 18 years and 1000’s of miles on!

Second would probably be some Nike winter bibtights I bought over 10 years ago. Considering the abuse they get in winter rides they still perform very well.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Some Madison shorts with padded liner bought in spring 2008 still going strong and my fave fitting shorts still, not bad for the £20 i paid for them.

orena45

Got an Altura long sleeve baselayer which was one of the first bits of clothing I bought when I started biking in 2003. Gets worn most winter rides every year and is still in great condition.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Kona baggies I paid about £25 for in 2002/3. They still look in good nick.

Vortexracing

Endura thermolite bib tights,

used every winter for the past 6-7 years, a couple of small holes and 2 x zips replaced but still going strong

Riksbar

Still use my Pace ultra fleece from 1992, and not really seen anything to replace it.

aP
    Free Member

Cannondale winter penguin gloves from 96
    Assos air block tights and jacket from 98
    Polaris jacket from 94

Radioman

Endura thermaclip bib longs. Warmest leggings ever . They are about 15 plus years old. I only use them when it’s quite cold(-1 on my road ride today). I have used them down to -23 in Scotland. I’m now thinking about getting another pair. Great bit of kit

shindiggy
    Free Member

Some Cannondale shorts bought in 2003/4, still going strong despite being worn 5 times a week.

murf
    Free Member

Does my team GT Hans Rey t-shirt count? Think it was 92 or 93 i got it. Don’t wear it much though, it’s prob so old it’s trendy and i don’t want people thinking i ride a fixie round the West End!

Northwind

All my old kit got binned when I stopped riding, but I’m still wearing the very first bit of cycling kit I bought when I started again- a Lidl long-sleeved top. Feel the quality.

eyerideit
    Free Member

1. Gore Windstopper jersey 2003.

Bit bobbly on the mesh from bags/packs, a few scuffs on the shoulder from a cartwheel but still works and the printed logo is still there.

Bought when on sale for £50 and has been worn all year round on and off road since. Absolute bargain.

2. Helly Henson Lifa thermals

They never seem to wear out, my oldest must be from about 1997 and can’t tell it apart from the newer ones.

AD

As Riksbar – still using my old Pace ultrafleece occasionally. Cracking bit of kit.

chakaping
    Free Member

Finsbury Park CC wool s/s jersey, cast-off gift to me in the late 80s when I got my first MTB.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi combat trousers from 1997 ish. Must sew them up before next use.

manton69

Lotto trade team top from 1987.
    Patagonia reversible high-vis wind proof top 1989
    Full set of Mint Sauce team jerseys

Not in to retro, but I just don’t change shape and have looked after my kit. That said the amount of bib shorts I have been through does not bare thinking about, especially when you started on real chamois inserts. 🙂

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Dragged out my pace racewear jacket this week. Still a good cold weather jacket option. Usually matched with an old helly thermal underneath. I’ve also got my mint sauce jersey which gets used in the summer.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Oldest clothing is a pair of Shimano gloves bought from a bargain bin for £10 in Merlin Cycles about 7 years ago. I love those gloves.

racefaceec90

i still use (occasionally) my old dayglow local motion gloves (green/pink fluro) with rubberized armour on the tops (looks like something from tron 😉

i always have to do spiderman type web hand movements when i put them on 😳

edit should’ve added about 1991-2 vintage 🙂

PiknMix
    Free Member

A 90’s Specialized wind proof gillet.

superfli
    Free Member

Still use my circa 2000 diadora shoes when im using spds.

penguinni

Still got a couple of Parrot Performance tops from c2000. And a pair of Ground Effect shorts and liners from the same period as well as a couple of GE tops.

Probably should wash them one of these days…..

Spin
    Free Member

Panasonic TdF green jersey from the year Olaf Ludwig won it – 1990

geologist
    Free Member

I had an endura windproof I bought in 1992! I used it regularly every year, untill I crashed last winter and ripped it to bits, gutted! A quality piece of kit.

tmb467
    Free Member

Got a pair of Nema baggy shorts from Stif in 2002 – used em pretty much EVERY ride I’ve done and worn em for 5-a-side too.

Still in good nick and getting worn regularly although I’m not out evey day

(See also a Fox wind proof gilet but its seen better days)

tang
    Free Member

Sworks winter jacket, JMC era. Still gets worn from time to time.

warpcow
    Free Member

Endura thermaclip bib longs. Warmest leggings ever . They are about 15 plus years old. I only use them when it’s quite cold(-1 on my road ride today). I have used them down to -23 in Scotland. I’m now thinking about getting another pair. Great bit of kit

Same here. Got them as a Christmas present in the mid-to-late 90s and still used them just this morning.

mos

Do you remember when steve peat & tom edwards were on thr mbuk team? They were sponsored by gt bikes & nike for clothes. I thought the nike stuff was the coolest.
    Well, i still have one of the black/orange fleece gilets that they had on in that video they made. Its a bit snugger than i used to be, but perfct for this time of year.
    And some of those endura themaclip bibs, had them in this morning actually.

qwerty
    Free Member

Buffalo mountain shirt

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What's the oldest bit of cycle clothing you still use?…’ is closed to new replies.