Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • What's the odd 'throbbing' sound in my house?
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I turned off the main switch on the consumer unit then the switch between meter and board. Noise still there.

dmorts

As its constant I’m ruling out planes, trains & automobiles.

Ship engine? Are you anywhere near the sea? The noise from these can propagate quite far

However, I’d bet it is more likely a noise source that’s inside the house. The house’s structure will attenuate external noise by a considerable amount. So for an external source to be audible inside, it would likely be pretty loud outside.
    I can see there is the potential to have exceptions though, e.g. when outside the problem noise source is masked by other noise sources outside, but once inside the ‘masking’ sources are attenuated by the building structure but problem source isn’t and you hear it. All depends on the frequency spectrum content of the noise sources and if the building has sound insulation weaknesses at a particular frequency

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I think it’s sinkhole.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Do you have an alarm system? Power being off would take a while to drain from the alarm…

Gary_M
    Free Member

Do you have an alarm system? Power being off would take a while to drain from the alarm

Ah there’s a thought. I’ll unplug the battery and try it.

colp
    ski
    Free Member

impending sinkhole disaster about to unfold?

brooess
    Free Member

I had this a few months ago just before I moved house. It was still there in my new house. I went to the doctor who stuck a torch in my ears and said ‘get them syringed’ which did the trick 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

West of Scotland

one of these maybe, in the sewers..

toby1

Under or close to overhead powerlines?

matt_outandabout

^ The subs do get blamed for all sorts of odd marine animal behavior round the Gare Loch…

dazh

Have you never heard of the hum?

I’m a fellow sufferer so you have my sympathies. Sometimes it’s so bad I can’t get to sleep. I also did all the searching, turning the power off etc and it was still there so it’s either in my head or coming from outside. My main suspicion is the wind turbines which are on the top of every hill round my way.

Gary_M
    Free Member

No powerlines but some interesting reading in the link. Does sound like a Diesel engine in the distance but with a sort of reverberation.

Can’t hear it outside but there are too many other sounds going on.

cubist
    Free Member

We had an odd beeping noise. A single muffled beep every 10 seconds. It was only audible when the house was silent but then it was enough t keep me awake. I spent ages turning everything off, went through the loft in case it was something battery operated and was a low battery warning. Eventually put an ear to the right bit of dividing wall (we live in a semi) and located it next door. Neighbours on holiday for 4 weeks, they came back and it stopped. I think it was an answering machine or something as I have heard it since. If we actually spoke to them I’d have given them an earful!

Bregante

dmorts

dazh, put a set of these on:

If you can still hear it, it’s in your head 🙂

EDIT: I should also add that I’m being serious and if you do still hear the hum the likely cause is Tinnitus. Putting your hands over, or fingers in, your ears won’t work as your hands will still move slightly and make noise.

shermer75
    Free Member

My next door neighbour (we share a wall) pointed out a noise that sounds like someone snoring, coming from our shared chimney breast. Now I can hear it too. Bugger!

steveoath
    Free Member

We get something similar. I reckon its the neighbours sticking the washing on overnight. I’m in a midterrace. So ymmv.

How’s the knee?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Could it be the wind resonating across the top of the chimmney pot? Like a milk bottle flute type thing?

senorj

It’ll be the borrowers, river dancing .

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well no one else in the house can here it so must be in my head.

Knee’s a bit on the sore side today Steve. Took the dressing off and showed Susan the horror beneath, she was horrified! Thanks for asking.

steveoath
    Free Member

The pic did the rounds at work! Hope you have a quick recovery.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Nice!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bit late but got to ask..

Is my Mum around your place ?

She hums a lot..

colp

We occasionally get something like it.
    We’re only a couple of miles from the oil terminal on the Mersey and you can sometimes hear and feel the oil tanker engines when they leave them ticking over.
    They really need some of those VW Bluemotion tankers.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Dunno, I’ll have a look round. Could you give a brief description so I know what to look for.

colp

My next door neighbour (we share a wall) pointed out a noise that sounds like someone snoring, coming from our shared chimney breast. Now I can hear it too. Bugger!

My wife says exactly the same thing about our spare bedroom! I can’t hear it.

colp

Dunno, I’ll have a look round. Could you give a brief description so I know what to look for.

A really big boaty type thing, probably sitting on water of some sort.

antigee

Well no one else in the house can here it so must be in my head.

Knee’s a bit on the sore side today Steve. Took the dressing off and showed Susan the horror beneath, she was horrified! Thanks for asking.

prescription painkillers?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Nah just paracetamol.

Stoner
    Free Member

Have you tried turning it off?

v apt XKCD the other day 🙂
    http://xkcd.com/1590/

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘What's the odd 'throbbing' sound in my house?’ is closed to new replies.