Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • What's the name of this part?
  • Padowan
    Free Member

I have just "repaired" one of my torque wrenches. What had happened was that I was using the long length of the wrench as a breaker bar (yeah, I know this isn't good for the wrench) and I put so much torque on the nut that I twisted the central post where the socket mounts. The wrench in question doesn't have a reversible ratchet mechanism, you have to remove the central square drive part and re-insert it from the other side to reverse the action of the wrench (if that makes sence).

Anyway, in order to remove the socket drive I had to saw it in half as the twist was sufficient to prevent the drive being withdrawn from the wrench in the normal way.

So, I'm after a 3/8" adapter that is square on both ends (ie it could take a socket on each end). I can't for the life of me find such a part online anywhere, but I'm not sure what it would be called. Anyone have a clue?

clubber
    Free Member

Probably something like male to male 3/8" adaptor… 😉

TheDoog
    Free Member

Sounds like it could be a socket adaptor, try a company called RS they sell most things
    here

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Padowan
    Free Member

Aha! Found it!

Called a 3/8" Push Through Coupler.

There's one or 2 ratchet wrenches that still use this technique for reversing the ratchet operation so managed to find this (lose-able) item as a spare part.

midlifecrashes

Just buy a cheap 3/8 ratchet. After the treatment you've given it, I wouldn't want to trust the accuracy of the torque wrench again, and that's the only point in having one.

Padowan
    Free Member

I disagree. The way that the torque-release mechanism works you don't put any additional strain on the spring/calibration mechanism by over torquing once the wrench has "clicked" at the specified torque all you do is risk stripping the threads of whatever you're torquing, it's more important that you back the torque setting right off when you store.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘What's the name of this part?’ is closed to new replies.