• This topic has 57 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by IWH.
Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • What’s the most you’d spend on a frame?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

i also like being in the situation that i can buy what i like, then if i think it is shyte, to be able to sell it on to some of the lesser advantaged on the forum.
    it’s my way of giving to the poor and neady.

LOL! An honest man speaks! 😉

Personally, I had a Yeti which cost £1200. Now, it was a nice bike and all that, but not 100% right for me in the end. Since selling it and buying a cheap Pitch I reckon I’ll go back to buying stuff in the £1000 – £1500 range, in the sales, like I’ve always done before. The kit you get these days for that cash is astonishing anyway and I doubt I’d see much improvement over that price. It’s good enough not to fall apart, and to work properly day after day, but not so expensive that I’d feel guilty riding it (All the gear, no idea, anyone?) or be worried/peed-off if it got damaged….

hora
    Free Member

If the frame is high-end. A grand max. Why does it need to be more? The frames are hardly handmade by US craftsman are they?

fu_manchu
    Free Member

I dropped £2400 for my Cervelo Time Trial frame 😐 But for the mountain bikes I think the most I have spent is a grand.

flatback
    Free Member

ht £1250 last week , carbon fibre race bike for pootling about on, i havent raced for 7 years though

singlespeedstu

The frames are hardly handmade by US craftsman are they?

I think you might find some are…… 😉

hora
    Free Member

Hardtail- £400

Jenga
    Free Member

Just bought a new hardtail on here for £85 plus £10 for H/S, seat post and clamp.

ton

The frames are hardly handmade by US craftsman are they?

i **** hope they are.

GW
    Free Member

You haven’t bought a Mincetense have you Ton?

ton

ventana el capitan.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The most I’ve paid so far was for my original ’98 Heckler which was ~1k. My Soda came close.

I’m *really* after a DW-link Turner RFX when they finally come out. – Had my current Turner for 5 years now. If the new one is as good, I’ll get my money’s worth out of it, whatever the price.

james-o
    Free Member

If it’s made with skills of someone like Richard Sachs or Steve Garro (look on frameforum for examples) or with the design insight of Jeff Jones, about £2.5k for the right frame.

Deciding on the right frame is another matter!

To date, most i’ve spent is 1k at trade for a ti custom road bike a good few years ago. worth it? kind of. the design is more important than pretty welds and the chances of getting the geometry and/or tube sizes right first time is slim, no matter what seven and others say about their process. mine wasn’t, but the second one was perfect.

MTT
    Free Member

£2799.99

CLICKY

And £1700 for a Litespeed Lookout Mtn MTB frame which was a mistake; I kitted the rest of the bike to match and consequently never used it, preferring to knock about on a 13 year old Klein. If i was going to buy an MTB again it’d be a no frills full sus, Yeti ASR or a SC SL/Blur.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

£1600 Titus El Guapo comes next week. Sounds a lot when you write it down

El Guapo

bigsi
    Free Member

I spent about £1200 on a frame last year and its just broken for the 2nd time so I’m thinking whats the point in spending loads. Will prob stick to cheap steel frames from now on at under £200,,,, although I’ve always fancied a Nic and i quite like Niners, then theres the Cove’s 🙄

In short if you can afford it, why not 😉

clunker

£950 on my Pace RC200 back in 97, my latest Dogs Bolx was £850 and my Simple a swap for a PS3 :mrgreen:

djglover
    Free Member

£1200 on a new orange 224. Would probably a bit more if I could find the time to use it

IWH
    Free Member

I’ve got two frames that cost over £2200 each, an Intense Uzzi that cost £1500 new and a proper DH bike that cost best part of £3k. I use them all and get an awful lot of fun out of it.

Why try and limit that by deciding what the maximum I’d be willing to spend is?

And I’ve met the chap that built 3 of my frames so I know they’re built by hand in the US 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What’s the most you’d spend on a frame?’ is closed to new replies.