Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Whats the most you would pay to ride your bike
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

Just paid £100 for a second hand shock so I can ride my bike tonight rather than wait for the warrantied one to arrive later this week… money well spent there are dry dusty moors to be ridden. Am I alone in this logic?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Not really, makes good sense assuming you sell it on for a similar amount after you get the warrantied one back.
    Edit – that was really a pretty boring answer. £41.52p

grenosteve
    Free Member

I would do the same! Then probably keep it as a spare until I bin it in 20 years time when I finally clear the garage out.

Kahurangi

You’re perfectly sane, you’ll get most of the cost back if you sell it on or you’ll have invested in a spare.

OTOH I just spent £80 on a pair of deore brakes as one of my XTs is borked. I am in Nepal though and wanted to use my bike during the next few months!

For riding a specific place, that’s a different question. I’ve paid £75 for the best weekend Enduro ever, £40 for a heli drop and less than £15 for a day shuttling. I’d say they were all worth a lot more!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I had to get married to go to Whistler once, I reckon the whole thing ended up costing me £10k.

smatkins1
    Free Member

pffft… you just bought a rear shock!

I bought a £300 second hand on-one single speed to use over my Christmas holiday a few years ago after I broke my forks and they needed to go to Mojo. Sold the bike a week later for £330 😀

A few weeks ago I sheared the head off a bolt holding my reservoir cap on at 6:30pm on a Friday evening. I did an over two hour round trip to drive to Evans Gatwick where they gave me a couple for free (thanks guys!) all so I could go riding early the next day.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have more than one bike

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have more than one bike

This, so the actual cost of the flexibility is much higher.

For the OPs original post I wouldn’t pay £100 for the sake of a few days if it where simply local riding I could do at the weekend

xc-steve
    Free Member

But its going to rain Thursday on wards!

nedrapier

Mate of mine turned up at Afan with a £70 s/h bike with a broken seatpost. Only one in the shop in the right size was a Thomson…

charlierevell
    Free Member

£2500 to replace a frame 2 days before I flew to Majorca for a weeks training?
    BB shell had fallen out the carbon and delaminated completely.

No chance Orbea were going to turn it around in 1 day!

Bought an S Works Tarmac and havent looked back, best bike purchase in years!
    Lucky really.

midlifecrashes

Perfectly good logic, so long as you sell when the warranty shock is fitted and working, you shouldn’t have paid more than postage costs if you get the same price. I’ve had CRC deliver to holiday cottages and campsites before now to get me back in the saddle.

ahsat

Mid holiday, p20s rear triangle snapped on his Alu Yeti 575. Few hours later he was building his brand new Carbon 5 up in the campsite, holiday continued the next day!

He then wrote the Carbon off on honeymoon on Sticks pass 6 months later…. (though was still ridable, just the creaking got worse and worse!)

ton

i bought a £2800 e bike just so i could go on a drinking/riding holiday.

elferrat
    Free Member

Had to replace the swingarm on my full susser one week prior to my first alp crossing. definitely worth it. so don’t worry, xc-steve, you’re perfectly normal.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Sold all my old bikes before coming to Canada. I think I’ll last through until spring without a bike because the skiing will be great and there’ll no where to ride. Lasted less than a week before dropping about $3000 on a new bike. Totally worth it though. Also currently deciding whether to get a full season pass for the bike park in Whistler. $600 + tax but with the potential for a lot of list assisted riding…

joshvegas
    Free Member

I drive but don’t own a car which makes riding from edinburgh a bit painful.

Sooo… I bought a flat in peebles.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

A mech per ride seems to be what I’m paying lately!

P20

As per ahsat, I bought an ASR5c to keep riding on on holiday. Could have driven home an picked up the hardtail at a push….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dbdurG]Work in progress[/url] by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

deadkenny
    Free Member

Done it a few times with stuff I need now. I have a pile of spares, especially brakes and mechs, that need servicing as a result 😀 . I should get it done and flog them really.

Next up is Reverb. Can get it fixed maybe myself or warranty, but for now, £150 and nice shiny new one ready for some BPW fun. Though I guess it’s mostly downhill so I could deal with a manual post, but I’m so used to a dropper now 😀

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Sooo… I bought a flat in peebles.

And we have a winner.

proflexforever
    Free Member

I had to spend £150 On tyres 2 days before going to afan as the bloke I bought my new bike from made a hash job of fitting tubeless tyres and didn’t tell me..spent 5hours trying to seat the bastards,eventually have and took them to a Shop who charged a further £20 to fit them..they took 2hours aswell..

And the ride in Afan was utter bollox due to weather..
    To answer the OP..yes..I think we’ve all done it before…lol
    The joys of mtbing

_tom_
    Free Member

Well I spent probably £1500-2000 all in (including a new frame/forks as my hardtail wasn’t gonna cut it) to have a few months of riding in Whistler. Worth every penny.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I spent six grand on a carbon Nomad with Enve wheels so I could ride at Swinley Forest.

Daffy

I have “spare” Chris king wheels in the garage in case the ones on any of the other 5 bikes…wait a minute…this doesn’t make any sense.

chiefgrooveguru

I thought this was going to be a rant about the cost of entry to enduro races…

BigDummy
    Free Member

[Chortles at davidtaylforth] 😆

I bought a new Pike when my 350CR blew up. Good thing, as getting the 350CR fixed has taken me two months and counting…

But the theoretical upper limit for impulse purchases to seize the day is very, very high. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I forgot my spd shoes when i took my roadbike with me to see the inlaws in Huddersfield. It was a gorgeous day. So I bought a £80 pair locally (not that miserable bike shop).

I still remember that ride 8)

Bigdummy why so long? My warranty Mazz was 4day turnaround

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Years ago I drove to Coed Y Brenin (Probably 10 years or more and about a 4 hour drive), only to find I’d left the bag with all my cycling gear in at home. Went over to Energy Cycles at Llanberis and bought shoes, shorts, long and short sleeve tops, helmet, Camelback, gloves. Expensive mistake but I got to ride that weekend and I still have and use the tops I bought that day and only recently stopped using the shoes. Probably cost me a few hundred quid.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Bigdummy why so long?

I’d just moved to Hong Kong. The Marzocchi distributor out here only kinda speaks English and is based a long way from me. I speak no Cantonese. So getting it done locally looked like a hassle. I then spent a while working out how much it would cost me to send back to the UK on warranty, baulked at the hog-whimpering cost of that happening fast, looked at a couple more options and eventually sent it steerage class on a ship. Marzocchi are not to blame for any of this, and we seem to be getting there.

🙂

hora
    Free Member

Mental- your not that ‘far’ from where they are made 😀

BigDummy
    Free Member

If I want Light Bicycle wheels, I’m a genuine advantage. I’m trying to break my wheels.

😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Forgot my lid yesterday at Ae, so they got £100 off me so I could bimble round the xc in a choice new bluegrass enduro-specific unit. They had cheaper ones but i was foiled by massive egg head.

Did crash though so i suppose it kind of justified itself – even though i hurt my knees and elbows but not my head.

Anyone want to by a nearly new helmet?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Whats the most you would pay to ride your bike’ is closed to new replies.