Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Whats the most you would pay for a yacht?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I reckon about $200 million or so would be about right;

Davy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t pay $200 million for a boat that’s about to fall over!

Milkie
    Free Member

Bet it can’t be sailed single handed though!

Got a link about that yacht? I might buy one. 😆

wwaswas

I wouldn;’t have it – looks like it’s junk rigged.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s not really a junk rig.

http://www.symaltesefalcon.com/about.asp

Milkie
    Free Member
    nickc

Might one spill one’s drinky-poo though.

Harry_the_Spider

I’d have one of these, but Mrs Spider says that we haven’t got room for it.

johnners
    Free Member

I’m sure you’re familiar with the old adage:

“If it flies, floats or ****, don’t buy it, rent it!”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Johnners, that’s much like the question, “How do you make a small fortune out of yachting?”

Answer? Start with a large one.

IHN

I gave up with yachts years ago, I was sick of being able to travel across water. Especially nowadays when there’s so many canoes, inflatable dinghies and coracles about.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I was considering buying one to live on at one point, until I saw a good few and found that even for 40-50K and 10 years old they were too small to really live on without feeling like you were camping constantly.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

In December we will look back and include that as one of the top ten thread title of the year. Brilliant 😀

MrNutt
    Free Member

any suggestions as to what I should trade in my feedship for?

Smee
    Free Member

Harry-the-spider. Having had the pleasure of spending a few hours on one of those things I would love to be able to just afford the fuel bill never mind the boat.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ooh no, i get seasick on the Woolwich Ferry.

I’d prefer a hekelopter:

HIND-D or Chinook?

Help me please.

Moses

Dunno, but my mate Ed now has a very nice 48 ft ketch in the Floating Harbour. God know where he found the money.

carbon337
    Free Member

bought one of these which is enough for now…

Even little blocks and jammers cost loads. 1 new main sail about £2k – if used weekly or a few events a year then your talking an annual purchase.

£1k for a jib – £1500 for a new kite. dyneema ropes arent cheap either – good job i can splice and taper them myself.

When your doing 18-20kts you start to worry about the 7.5k mast! – which is only insured for 2/3rds.

sturmey
    Free Member

I used to race yachts from Scarborough many years ago only as crew mind and often wondered how people afforded their hobby. Then it ocured to me they have an annual north sea race to the hook of holland every year. I never took part in it but my dad used to say that they never got approached by customs, “just radio the coatguard before you get to the harbour” hmmm one wonders.

JulianA
    Free Member

Wouldn’t have a yacht (except a J Class but then I’d have to have staff to sail her for me).

Want big engines!

Think this one:

http://www.roman-abramovich.com/pelorus-yacht-pictures-roman-abramovich.htm

JulianA
    Free Member

Must get a job…

Smee
    Free Member

Sturmey funny you should mention that….

My wife once had to leave Rio rather earlier than anticipated after having just raced from Cape Town for similar reasons. The owner of the boat was smuggling semi precious gems for some reason. They had just won the race then had to get the **** out of there…

molgrips
    Free Member

A colleague of mine in Finland bought a boat, bout 30 foot long enough space for 4 to live and sleep etc – 3k euros. Fantastic.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RudeBoy – Member
    Ooh no, i get seasick on the Woolwich Ferry.

I’d prefer a hekelopter:

Why not get a yacht that comes with two hekelopters? (only one in shot here, though)

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I feel somewhat out of place here… only yacht I would have at the moment…

Just love clinker built folkboats – so the most I would pay… probably about £14k, but possibly as low as £3k 😉 Yep… I know it’s a floating caravan, but I don’t care!!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Nice boat Rob, where do you keep it? Been tempted a few times but cant justify the expense when looking to buy a house lol. As I said earlier I considered buying a big one AS a house which would be ace but very inconvenient, and you’d not be able to take it anywhere distant as you’d need it back so you could go back to work the next week lol.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Whats the most you would pay for a yacht?’ is closed to new replies.