• This topic has 104 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • What's the most technically challenging trail in the Peak District?
  • crazyphil
    Free Member

Narnia

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Derek I assume you have done the stuff in the black rocks ambergate area then?

whitestone
    Free Member

Just where is Parkin Clough? I’m nowhere near good enough to ride it but might be worth knowing to avoid 🙄 A proper map type link not an “It’s in Foobar Woods” description because I’ll only ask where they are!

jekkyl

Derek, I’d suggest white peak areas for easyish routes without much tech. If you have the VB white peak book the linacre classic is good or the 5 dales route. Drop me an email if you need gpx and/or further suggestions.

ahwiles
    Free Member

probably about time to drop a wee reminder that Parkin clough is a footpath, and often quite busy with walkers, who may not be pleased to see you.

if you like steep tech, there are plenty of walker-free options.

in the future, when bikes are allowed on footpaths, i for one won’t lose any sleep when special exclusions are made, precisely because of paths like Parkin Clough.

whitestone
    Free Member

Scratch that request – found it. I’ve run down it as part of the High Peak Marathon (at something like 1am), vaguely remember a muddy jumping down from boulder to boulder avoiding tree routes.

Pretty certain I won’t be riding it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Not really. And anyway, it doesn’t matter.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Not really.

you know that rule about fight club?

christhetall
    Free Member

Another vote for Cavedale, with the caveat that I’ve not done the stuff at Hollinsclough and can’t remember what Doctor’s Gate is like (I know it was tough, but I was a novice on a fully rigid). As to Parkin – shudders at the thought ! But then again, something that steep has no appeal for me – I prefer a flowing descent than one where I’m constantly at (or way beyond) my limit.

Of all the one’s mentioned, Jacobs Ladder is easily my favourite

Digby

The way this person is climbing up Parkin gives a good impression of steepness , which seems completely absent in the videos.

Yeah … I can’t see that section in the video posted on page 2.

On the second video the rider [understandably] picks the bike up and carrys it down this section at 2:41

Hats off to anyone who has genuinely ‘cleaned’ that section but I’ve run up it a fair few times and it’s usually a ‘hands and feet job’ on the way up. Must be touching cloth riding down it!

shifter
    Free Member

47s in the video posted by Retro83.

weeksy

Can’t say that trail looks terribly appealing to me…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member

probably about time to drop a wee reminder that Parkin clough is a footpath, and often quite busy with walkers, who may not be pleased to see you.

in the future, when bikes are allowed on footpaths, i for one won’t lose any sleep when special exclusions are made, precisely because of paths like Parkin Clough.

blah blah blah blah

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

weeksy – Member

Can’t say that trail looks terribly appealing to me…

not appealing as such, but challenging yes!

also if you ever did do it without dabs and clean it, you’d feel pretty chuffed with yourself (riding god status in your head) 🙂

Digby

47s in the video posted by Retro83.

Granted, on closer inspection that does indeed seem to be the very same location … albeit with seemingly less ‘free-standing’ roots and prominent pointy rocks, but I guess that’s the ‘flattening’ effect of the video.
    Either way – impressive riding in the video Retro83 posted!

JackHammer

That vid makes it look radical! On my to do list!

weeksy

not appealing as such, but challenging yes!

also if you ever did do it without dabs and clean it, you’d feel pretty chuffed with yourself (riding god status in your head)

If the majority on here can’t clean it, i’m pretty unlikely to.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I only know of one person who’s cleaned it, and hes an elite EWS rider, but even hes said its as techy and tough as anything you’d see on the EWS courses, make of that what you will!

ahwiles
    Free Member

JackHammer – Member

On my to do list!

please don’t, it’s a popular footpath, and in places it’ll be impossible to stop and give way.

(basically, i’ll be one of the people getting shouted at if/when P-C becomes popular with mtb’ers)

AlexSimon

Lots of talk about about 5 trails which are good, but surely there must be more.
    What about:

Legit:
    Stanage Plantation
    Ultimately not that tough, but pretty intimidating the first time and steeper than most legal bridleways – never seen a horse near it!

Not legit (although it’s not a public footpath either):
    Alpine/Cable ridge/Les Gets

Even notter legit:
    Roaches – Rocky cut through the middle (Rocky Chute on strava)
    Cumberland Brook (top fp part before to gate)

For those asking about a Hollinsclough loop, here’s how we do it.
    3 techie descents. 1 techie climb. 2 road climbs.
    Short, but trying to fit anything else in just adds a load of road we’ve found.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/310654218

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks Alex, yes I’d kinda decided to just pop in to Hollinsclough after another ride again.

Is the Stanage descent long? Looks close enough to Ladybower to link in with a ride.

AlexSimon

Is the Stanage descent long? Looks close enough to Ladybower to link in with a ride.

We link them together with Bamford Edge, but that’s another cheeky.
    There’s so much around Stanage, that it’s a ride of it’s own. If you’ve never done Blackamoor, Lady Cannings, or lots of the cheekies around there you’ve missed the best riding in the Peak imo.

thepodge
    Free Member

You’re far more likely to meet other trail users on Stanage than Parkin clough and Stanage is only any fun if your not stopping for walkers and climbers every 20 foot. Plus the only technical bit is the very top corner, other than that it’s brakes off and suffer the arm pump.

Alpine/Cable ridge/Les Gets isn’t a footpath but that makes it all the more controversial, it’s also piss easy to ride, especially since its now a 30 foot wide straight line down the hill.

Pook

It’s not

blah blah blah blah

, it’s please don’t bugger up the good work we’re doing with Severn Trent Water about increasing access around Ladybower

Digby

Alpine/Cable ridge/Les Gets isn’t a footpath but that makes it all the more controversial, it’s also piss easy to ride

I think what makes it controversial with other users etc is that it has become rather popular and now features on many peoples ‘to do’ list – consequently traffic has increased, especially at weekends and much of the path is quite narrow (not quite sure where this ’30 foot wide straight line’ bit is although I concede that the last couple of corners have got wider and and wider – you can now see them from the other side of the valley!)

it’s also piss easy to ride

I bow to your god-like riding prowess … 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘What's the most technically challenging trail in the Peak District?’ is closed to new replies.