Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Whats the most technical descent in Scotland?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

chickenman

North ridge on Starav not pathless any more, but top 200m is a boulder field and the first couple of miles in must be a total quagmire now, plus, most people walking up Starav are impressed by just how bloody far and steep it is up the ridge, so I wouldnae fancy the push up! Path up coire from col would be good though..and the granite slabs in the river bed!

fergal
    Free Member

Edinburgh castle and your point is caller? Arthurs seat has some tricky descents, beat the curfew!

Starav have you been working on your heroin chic, boulderfest.

still waiting for proof of Sanny’s descent of the Cobbler from the col between center and north summits, without sherpa support.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound ideal. Starav is out then. Any other suggestions? Has to be in the west, seeing as that’s where it looks like the bearable weather will be

fergal
    Free Member

A bit more central, but Ben Vorlich is sanctioned by the Sannymiester,
    looks good walked it years ago, from the glen to the north is the way.

The one near Calander.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Here’s Sanny on Jock’s Road.

I shouldnt really post these, for fear of erosion issues.

druidh
    Free Member

There was a recent thread (Sanny?) which suggested Beinn a Bheithir

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Glas Allt Shiel?

Super hardcore. I’m a mincer, but the day we tried it the wind blew the waterfall upwards. Sanny, Italspark and a few others rode it a couple of weeks back.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Cheers! Ended up doing a circuit of the 3 Beinn A’Glo Munros. Was a pretty epic day out. Probably the last epic before winter descends on us and the world ends

Sanny
    Free Member

Well, Beinn Dearg and Carn a Chalmain were on the agenda today and they were awesome. Almost 100% rideable up and down. Beinn Dearg is an old school classic with some really nice singletrack up from Alt Sheachan Bothy. My fancy new Ice tech disc warped on the descent despite it being below zero which made the climb if Carn a Chalmain really tough as the front wheel stopped spinning freely. Still, the climb was magic and the views in the afternoon setting sun stunning. As glorious as the views were, the descent down the stalkers was sublime. A true classic. I can’t believe that no one ever writes about it as a ride. It’s a gem! Ah well, that’s another two munros done this year adding to the tally of classic days out. Beinn a Beithir, Carn Gorm horseshoe and the Ring of Steall next. Sweet!

Stunned at the weather – blue skies and baltic. First ice of the winter made for a memorable day out. Amazing how hard frozen the trails were.

Sanny

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi Sanny that sounds great any pics from the ride? Whats the route?
    I have riden the Kenny Wilson route that goes behind Liathach then descends back to the road but not up any of the surrounding hills.
    Any more info would be great.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Sounds brilliant, I might head for Beinn Dearg and Carn a Chalmain tomorrow if the weather stays like this. We spent the day doing the 3 Beinn a’Ghlo Munros. I wouldn’t recommend it to be honest, the cycling to hike-a-bike ratio was a bit crap. Still had an amazing day though.

The ascent up Airgiod Bheinn and descent down Carn Liath were both fairly mental. There are some photos over on Trail Scotland if anyone’s interested

Sanny
    Free Member

Stunning photos fella!

How did you manage to find so much cloud? We were across the valley on Sunday and managed to avoid most of it and as the day wore on, it just got better and better. I see you took the steep way up! 😀

Carn a Chalmain is ace. Better descent than the Beinn a Ghlo three – a lot more rideable too. I only carried up two very short sections of the climb for a couple of metres and rode the rest. If my brake hadn’t rubbed, I reckon I would have cleaned it. Garrr! Still, it makes for a wee target for next time. 😀

The route we did was 54km and took 8 hours with breaks for food, photos etc. Of the two, Carn a Chalmain is the better but Beinn Dearg is also a lovely hill to ride. All good!

Sanny
    Free Member

Route is up past Alt Schiachan then out and back on the main track to the summit of Beinn Dearg. It’s not on the map but the main Land Rover track does a full circuit that drops you into Glen Tilt at the gun range. From there, we rode up the Glen and followed the Land Rover track climb which, again, isn’t fully shown on the map, but goes to the summit of Carn a Chalmain. On the plateau just before the summit, there is a faint path marked with little cairns. Follow it down! The descent is mint and becomes very obvious very quickly.

chickenman

Has anyone ridden a descent NNE from the middle Munro on Beinn a’Ghlo, past point 1004m and down to the footbridge a couple of miles upstream from Forest Lodge? Just wondering if these could be linked to Carn nam Chalmian?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Great pics drookitmunter. It’s an awesome loop once you are up on the ‘plateau’.

fergal
    Free Member

Cripes Sanny have you gone soft, i thought the thread was “most” technical, hill of the rounded blisters by george, you really should get on Beinn Ghlas(Lawers) and report back.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Cripes Sanny have you gone soft, i thought the thread was “most” technical, hill of the rounded blisters by george, you really should get on Beinn Ghlas(Lawers) and report back.

Sanny’s ride report

Sanny
    Free Member

Fergal

Ha! Ha! The Carn a Chalmain stalker path is a delight. A little bit tech in places so not the most tech in Scotland but terrific fun nonetheless.

I’ve been looking at Sgurr Eilidh Begg – it looks to have potential. Anyone want to confirm?

I think Ben Lui could be good too. So much potential. Looks like I’m going to be busy!

Sanny

trekstar
    Free Member

Great photo’s drookitmunter. Looks like an epic day.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Did Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) on Sunday. Cracking descent!

jimmy

Most technical thing I’ve ridden in Scotchland was a descent near Glen Cova. Never knew the name of it, but was first time I’ve been owned by a ‘girl’ on a DH (JoJoA1), albeit she was on a full suss and I was on a HT. And ‘m sticking to it…

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Whats the most technical descent in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.