• This topic has 39 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What's the most expensive thing you've fixed?
  • tomhoward

In contrast to the wanton destruction from the ham fisted idiots on the other thread, what have you brought back from obliteration?

scaredypants

rebuilt a few wheels

ElShalimo

My mate’s marriage

aP
    Free Member

About £40m from someone else’s design for something.

parkesie
    Free Member

Half a millions worth of armoured truck as part of the day job.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

A magnox nuclear reactor.

julianwilson
    Free Member

our telly.

Its only a £200 thing from the co-op, but
    -4.30pm on boxing day,
    -mother in law staying, wife out at work till late
    -actually turned out to be easy slean up of contacts on main power switch.
    When m-i-l stopped fretting and settled back down to watch Only Fools and Horses i could have wept with joy. 8)

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

A railway radio network, if it wasn’t working come 0500 there would have been no trains out of Victoria.

TheBrick
    Free Member

This gets into a telphone numberpissing contest if you’ve ever worked on industrial machinery.

Waiting for someone to come along with a story of how they fixed an £1000,000 a day off shore rig…..

freeagent
    Free Member

Various Type 45 Destroyers, usually at fairly short notice before they are due to go out.
    I think they are worth about a Billion quid each..

GrahamS

I’m not a natural at DIY but I have managed a couple of decent household fixes.

Boiler – fitted a new pressure switch and air bleed valve. Gutted the pump and got it running again.

Dyson – fitted a new motor.

Laptop – dismantled and soldered in a new power jack.

Professionally I’ve fixed much bigger more expensive things, but that’s all software so not really real 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

A boxing match in Vegas 😉

CountZero

I was asked to sort out a problem with one of our folding machines, a simple problem turned out a bit more complicated, fortunately I knew how to fix the part back in place, using a 1mm Allen key that I had at home, otherwise it would have meant the machine being down for 48 hours before an engineer could get out, and a bill for several hundred quid.
    Only a small thing by comparison to some posted, but rather chuffed at fixing something that no-one else at work had a clue how to sort, and saving a fair bit of money for a small-ish company.

aracer
    Free Member

Well if we’re playing that game, I’ve fixed a bit of kit on these which helped them to work properly:

pictonroad

Well, a bit of it anyway…

breadcrumb

These:

alexb17
    Free Member

Tornado GR4

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got two washing machines, one for my sailing gear/cycling gear and other really cruddy stuff and one fancy pants machine for undies and more normal clothing.

I fixed the “cruddy” machine today, changed the brushes and heating element.. By Jove it’s (not) like new.

Do I win ?

takisawa2

Day jobs shouldn’t count in this thread. 🙄 😀

Houns

This

By planting a few trees

RustyNissanPrairie

My wife.

dr_death
    Free Member

Depends on how much you value ‘people’ at….

bigyinn
    Free Member

A referendum vote, last year I think….

brakes
    Free Member

Depends on how much you value ‘people’ at….

depends on the person. from 0p up to about £47, not including my kids who are priceless (although I’m open to offers).

onehundredthidiot

One of these

onehundredthidiot

Ok I helped on the dbs by making tea and doing what I was told under close supervision.

molgrips
    Free Member

VW Passat 2.0 TDI 2007

terrahawk
    Free Member

Our combi boiler…
    one or two high-end bicycles…
    LOADS of expensive computer networks over the years.

Ermmmm…that’s it I think.

aracer
    Free Member

Are you sure about that, molgrips?

peteimpreza

A Harrier jump jet the day before they parked it on the front of the Ark Royal before departing to the South Atlantic.

Northwind

Some funding applications, probably 20 million quid or thereabouts we’d have lost.

Hands on fixing things? Glentress 😆

mrchrispy

all this military kit is much more exciting that the crap I’ve fixed.
    mine are all along the lines of ‘international payments system’ and ‘force intelligence system’, I’m going to start making stuff up to tell my kids.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

11.5′ wind tunnel, RAE Farnborough. Some students had a boat hull design come off the balance rig and go around the tunnel. It was reduced to a pile of matchwood.
    Benetton F1 team wanted to use the tunnel next too so much waving of hands and flapping ensued

chewkw
    Free Member

Bloody ABS sensors at £125 a pop where I needed two.

Apart from that I don’t have anything that’s expensive.

nedrapier

jef – what was broken? measuring stuff or mechanical stuff? or airflow smoothing stuff?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Medical test on unborn children uses globally now.

Children are priceless (little pains in the…)

b1galus
    Free Member

mcdonnell douglas f4k back in the day . it was the hangar queen and more bits robbed than you could shake a stick at but got it ready for a “one flight only” back to Leuchars

gravity-slave
    Free Member

My house.
    Both my biggest spend and most expensive asset.
    Previously owned by utter bodgers.
    Maybe that doesn’t count as it was working in that it fulfilled the basic function of warmth and shelter.

mudshark
    Free Member

In 2001 I fixed a Y2k bug on a mission critical computer system – didn’t mention that I’d created it….

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nothing, absolutely nothing – everything I fix ends up in various degrees of “more broken”.

Thats not true actually, I fixed a grands worth of Mondeo by replacing the crank position sensor using only a screwdriver (and the combined power of a AA Man and his no doubt very expensive diagnostic kit).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What's the most expensive thing you've fixed?’ is closed to new replies.