• This topic has 67 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • What's the most expensive thing you've bought without telling your wife/partner?
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Seeing as I'm about to 'invest' £5k in a boat that my wife doesn't really know about – what's the most you've spent on something without getting clearance from the FPO (Fun Prevention officer)?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

All my "major" purchases are a sort of project – they have to be introduced then the hints have to be cranked up a notch or two until it's time to "strike."

I have got in trouble before though – we share everything 50/50 which suits me 99% of the time.

Probably my RC car that started off costing just over £100. By the time I'd faffed around sorting bits out it was more like £300.

Same with my MTB – I think wife thinks it has had about £500 spent on it. Inn reality, double that and add a bit more…!

I will also be "forgetting" to say quite how much I'm about to spend on a front light too…

Hey, she might like the boat though – my wife loves ours!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Her current car. She cried when I brought it home, nissan X-Trail. She won't consider much else now it's due for swapping!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Oh yeah, tons of tools she thinks cost very little!

wwaswas

£5k

that's a lot. I guess it depends how much you've got but I'd be pretty pee'd off if my wife spent that much on the qt.

my sins mostly revolve around bike stuff so < £150.

johnclimber (?) getting brant to send him a letter saying he'd won a frame in a competition is probably the 'best' spend money without getting caught ploy I've seen!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

Hope pro2 steel freehub – £55, but she thinks it cost me £5, and many other expensive bits of metal!

nickf
    Free Member

I'm admitting nothing, yer honour.

uplink
    Free Member

Quite a lot of stuff really – motorbikes, cars etc.
    She has no interest as long as I leave the joint acount alone

PJM1974
    Free Member

I recently spent £1600 on a new bike… The missus was okay with it though because I gave her my year old Rock Springs, complete with upgrades.

Her old bike (Merlin Malt 1) has gone to Stepson 1, stepson 1's old bike (Spesh Hardrock) has gone to Stepson 2.

That's xmas sorted, I've got a new bike out of it too. Bargain!

[edit] she won't let me buy that Mk2 Golf 16v I saw for sale recently though…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Some Tiffany jewellery…

SiB
    Free Member

hookers and crack

sharkbait
    Free Member

that's a lot. I guess it depends how much you've got but I'd be pretty pee'd off if my wife spent that much on the qt.

I agree, it is a lot of money especially when it's coming out of 'deep' savings that don't really get touched 😥

But by the time I've sold a couple of things (including the boat it's replacing) it'll be about £3k which although still a lot is better!

The idea behind this is that I'll use this boat to train for and take part in a Masters World Championships (basically for oldish gits like me). It'll give me a target and help get me fitter too.

If it doesn't work out for me I've already got a buyer for it (a two times Masters World Champ who lives near me and is going tohelp with the training) – so it's not like the money will be gone…. just moved!

donsimon
    Free Member

A divorce, the look on her face was a picture! 😈

organic355
    Free Member

her engagement ring!!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Shark – do you for competition skiing? Can you get a competition boat for £5k?!

wwaswas

sharkbait – I guess the reason you haven't 'asked' is because you think she'd say no?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Can you get a competition boat for £5k?!

It's a 1998 Finn – a new one would cost in the region of £15k but I'm not that good!

sharkbait – I guess the reason you haven't 'asked' is because you think she'd say know?

Well, I've had to move quickly on this boat is it's worth more and I've been advised not to let it go! I will have a chat with her about it and she'll be OK but she'll say the usual stuff about holidays etc. 😕

gravitysucks
    Free Member

My mates told me about an old customer who use to tell his missues that everything bike related only cost 20% of the actual cost.
    He came in to the shop a few years after getting a bolloking for spending "£50" on a new pair of forks 😆

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Shark – cool! Our Salcombe Flyer (think Boston Whaler but lighter) was around the same price. Properly nippy little thing! Not really a "proper" ski boat but it works fine.

Where do you ski?

Mrs Matt used to be an instructor at Camel Ski School in Rock. I taught her to surf, she taught me to ski properly.

TheFlyingOx

+1 for engagement ring.

bruneep

"high class" hooker, it'll be in the papers soon nae doot.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nothing. I wouldn't even consider hiding purchases from her

Moses

"Working class" hooker. She'll keep it out of the papers, and I wore a mask.

ourmaninthenorth

+1 engagement ring. "Only" £2.5k, though….

Which given she burned through that in a couple of months of a slightly deranged shopping spree (she was ill), means she did pretty well.

Though I have just proudly told her I've sold my (unused) rollers. "What rollers?" she asked? 😳

br
    Free Member

My wife has horses, nothing I spend can get near – and I don't wanna know!

richmtb

My last car, 16k. Was in the days before our joint bank account though!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

SiB – Member
    hookers and crack

Me
    hooker's crack

uplink
    Free Member

Nothing. I wouldn't even consider hiding purchases from her

nor would I but I don't feel the need to specifically tell her what I buy or ask for agreement, she can see it & if she asks, I'll tell her what it costs, she rarley does though

stylish
    Free Member

Dont really have the luxury of hiding anything financial, the wife sorts it all, well she works for a bank so its her job, cant complain though i get an allowance, we have a nice life and dont want for anything.
    She did surprise me last christmas though, she handed me an envelope with a cheque for £500 in, followed by the words "go out and buy the frame you want then", i could have sworn she said feel free to double the amount though…………..the middle of january was a bit quiet when she had to sort the money for a mates anthem i had off him……….

tonyg2003

Myself nothing particularly however my mate who has a bike shop regularly writes out two shop reciepts. One for the customer and one for their other half (down to 10% of purchase price). Ridiculous but all part of his service.

Moe

£250 on a ex London Tri hire 2004 Giant OCR3, brand new all bar 12 miles. Bargain I told her (RRP £425) ……. but oh no! ….. doghouse for weeks.

…….. on the up side, sold it on e-bay this year for £190!!!! 😯

oddjob
    Free Member

I spent about £300 at Rapha in one go earlier in the year and I was seriously in the dog house, it still gets brought up from time to time. I think the only problem was that I didn't ask and that was only becuase I was rather drunk when I pulled the trigger. Normally I ask first and she almost never says no.
    She said yes to the Cervelo R3SL and was in the shop when I bought it so she knows the full extent of the cycling problem plus her dad is a cyclist although I know that he is prone to understating what things cost quite significantly…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Can't get **** all past H-I-D, however a few hundred on clothes (for her) every once in a while doesn't get consulted about 😕

chakaping
    Free Member

I always tell her, just not always before I buy it.

epicyclo

A house.

I did it to divert her attention from the Chrysler VJ coupe with the Hemi engine and humungous fat tyres that I'd also bought in the week she was away.

It was worth it because she had an uplifting religious experience. I can still hear the "Oh, God! Jesus…"

Although I was surprised to find that the latter apparently was having a romantic liaison with himself.

Filthy
    Free Member

A couple of cars, loads of bikes and a house, well I agreed to buy the house then told her, but it wasn't to live in so I don't suppose it counts.

Rarely consult her on my purchases, as long as the bills are paid and her debit card works there's no problem.

smogmonster

Still trying to work out how to tell her that i dropped £8.5k on a new Honda CB 1000R 8 weeks ago. She knows my old bike was silver, so eventually she'll suss that the white one with a '10' reg must be different to the one she knows about…..you'll see the mushroom cloud when she notices. In the meantime its stored in a barn under a tarpaulin, out of her way.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

This,

mamadirt
    Free Member

I don't understand the question . . . and neither does he. We get more grief from the kids than from each other 😉

lodious
    Free Member

it still gets brought up from time to time

There's the problem 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘What's the most expensive thing you've bought without telling your wife/partner?’ is closed to new replies.