Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What's the most expensive thing you've bought off the classifieds?
  • cb

Just looking at that nice Yeti up for sale and got me thinking who’d take that kind of risk? Most I spent was £880 on a full Enduro, followed by £800 on a 5 Spot frame. Both worked out well and the 5 Spot is still used.

What’s your most extravagant purchase?

weeksy

Not a lot… almost bought a £1000 Yeti, but he pulled the sale.

I sold a £1000 Yelli though. And an £850 Bionicon

spacemonkey

Something like £1000 on a mint S-Works Enduro about 10 yrs ago.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    NZCol

Ti Serotta off a chap in Wales, remotely from NZ. Got a mate to collect it. 1350 from memory and an utter bargain.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Road bike for £500. But the seller was a real regular on retrobike (although it was for sale on both forums i supose i bought it through this one), and by all accounts on there (they have seller feedback threads) he is an all round nice bloke. Fwiw even from people I didn’t know much about I have had better ‘as described’ experiences from here than on ebay.

pictonroad

Bought an IBIS Mojo, as with my 70/30 (good/bad) hit rate on the STW classifieds it was mostly ok but the headset that it came with didn’t fit… 🙄

tomhoward

Sold 2 £1000+ bikes, biggest spend was £114 on a PS Vita I think. (yesterday)

iolo
    Free Member

There’s a guy asking £4500 for a spesh sworks something at present.
    I wish him the best of luck with that. Knock £1500 off and he might have a chance.

fathomer

Just over £1k on a frame, bit of a risk but the seller was ace and so is the frame.

tomhoward

There’s a guy asking £4500 for a spesh sworks something at present.
    I wish him the best of luck with that. Knock £1500 off and he might have a chance.

Yeah, but it has just had a new chain.

MoreCashThanDash

Blur frame.

Would have been more expensive if I hadn’t realised that she really meant it when she threatened the divorce.

Still miss that bike though…..

DezB
    Free Member

Cove Handjob frame. £400 I think – worth every penny. 🙂
    Seller disappeared from STW straight after though, which was weird.

iainc

Buying, probs around £200.

Selling, have split a couple of bikes. Also sold my 5 complete to a ‘wanted’ post for around £1100. Don’t think the buyer was much of a regular, and sale went well for us both

dirtyrider
    Free Member

£1600 on a TallboyC Frame

ianv
    Free Member

Bought a van, circa 5K

LoCo
    Free Member

Special shoes..

DezB
    Free Member

Special shoes..

😆 You is stylish

ir_bandito
    Free Member

£650 on a Rohloff wheel, a good few years ago.

I bought a pair of 2010 Magura Thors a couple of years ago. Cost me £225.
    Sent them off for a £90 service a year later, found out the internals were mashed from being previously lubricated with engine oil. Cue £400 for replacement internals. The upside of that though is when the travel adjust failed, they were classed as new forks, so I got a brand new pair of the 2013 model under warranty 🙂

Selling, I sold my Singular Peregrine for about £900. Met the buyer in Scotch Corner service station car-park and swapped bike for a wad of cash.

LoCo
    Free Member

You is stylish

8)

footflaps

Think I’ve sold a bike for around the £1k mark years back. Bought a few £500-£600 frames over the years. Never had a single problem on the Classifieds.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bought a 650 quid omega easton road bike. one off custom paint job with full ultegra in mint nick.

was a grand bike – but negligance on the part of my mrs killed it – seat pin stuck securely into the frame 🙁 which then proceeded to snap at the top tube when i was working on removing it.

wwaswas

I sent someone I’d never met over £400 to go and buy a bike from Halfords and post it to me once.

69er
    Free Member

£6000 on a Landy Defender 10 years ago. Still foung strong.

Off to Elevenarife soon 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

A couple of cars, both still going strong. I’d sooner buy another from the classifieds than any other outlet.

wwaswas

Do cars count – it’s not like you hand the cash over to a stranger on trust and keep an eye out for the Parcel Force van for the next few days?

bigG
    Free Member

I’ve given away more stuff for free than I’ve sold. Most expensive bit sold was a XTR mech for about £45. Had no issues at all.

Got some superstar bits very cheap off a guy that seemed unhappy with their build quality, and a 2nd hand Thai wife, only one previous owner.

peterfile
    Free Member

Sold a £2k bike to the son of a Polish rally driver. His mate came up from London to look at it, bought it and then took it back to Poland.

Sold a £3k bike to a lad just getting into DH.

Not a single problem with either transaction.

I’ve bought and sold a load through the classifieds over the years and never had a problem. It helps to be cautious/selective though.

Pridds

£1700 for a nomad c frame but collected it and paid in cash.

tonyd

£700 but I went through the sellers forum history to make sure they were kosher. Most I’ve sold to one person is about £500 and I’d expect them to have done the same.

I won’t buy from anyone if it seems even slightly dodgy.

hora
    Free Member

I sold a nearly new frame —>

Cheeky bugger then offered it on at a +400 price to someone I know who put a wtd ad up.

tomhoward

hora – Member

Wonders never cease…..

binners

hora – Member

Just the one?

banks
    Free Member

3.5k on a pair of shoes. They don’t fit…

tonyd

Cheeky bugger then offered it on at a +400 price to someone I know who put a wtd ad up

Slightly off topic, but I’ve noticed that the last couple of times I’ve put a wanted ad up an hour or two later a for sale ad goes up with exactly what I’m looking for. Usually from someone with very limited posting history, sometimes with months in between spates of posts. Am I paranoid or do people stalk the wanted ads?

boxfish
    Free Member

£200 for a set of used CK hubs

Kryton57

£140 on the worlds best (IMHO) singlespeed frame 😀

gazc
    Free Member

£2700 on an old VW van 😀

Crag
    Free Member

About £5-600 ppg on a Turner frame. Seller was pretty awesome throughout.

toby1

£525 for a second hand Orange 5 frame. Still going strong too. But we did meet face to face so it was all above board.

I don’t think I’d risk much over £100 on someone I wasn’t dealing with face to face!

wwaswas

£140 on the worlds best (IMHO) singlespeed frame

And a bargin, too 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What's the most expensive thing you've bought off the classifieds?’ is closed to new replies.