Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What's the most expensive item you've lost?
  • jekkyl

Aged 16, first time to London with my mate to see the Freddie Mercury tribute concert. Took loads of photos doing the tourist bits and at the gig, left the camera on a bus so lost the camera and the sentimental value of a wonderful break from my youth.

How about you lot?

oliverracing

Not me but was on a chairlift with a girl who took off her glove and the £8000 (or so she said) ring came off her finger with it and dropped into the snow 20m below 😯 – 3 hours later when we next caught the lift up she was still searching

martymac

Took my £350 watch off and sat it beside me when i was on a 4hr layover at Edinburgh bus station.
    Forgot about it, first passenger who got on the bus put it in his pocket.
    The thing that makes me absolutely rage, is that when the old bastard complains about anything to do with the bus service, he will be believed instantly, when the reality is he’s a thieving ****.

Drac

DLSR, Laptop and mobile in Switzerland.

They all came back excpet the mobile it was someone from here who kindly brought them back to the UK and posted them back to me.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

New waterproof (ha) phone and a leatherman down the longdrops at Glastonbury.

I didn’t go after them.

milleboy
    Free Member

My dignity 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Left my Surface Pro on the plane last week. Fortunately, it was in lost property. Thank F for small airports and honest cleaners!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I once left a suitcase in the back of a Hong Kong taxi after a business trip. That added up…

Individual item, probably prescription Oakley riding specs.

Harry_the_Spider

Dropped my wedding ring in a park when setting up HTN. Got a phone call about 4 hours later from Terrahawk saying that he had found it. Unfortunately I had already confessed to the missus and taken a bollocking.

matt_outandabout

My dignity

You and me both. Priceless it seems.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

my backpack in my last week of work in sydney, with a flight onto california (backpack year)

it had all my money, bank card, passport, flight tickets (was getting photocopies at work), a new camera, and 11 months of photos on sd cards, 500 us dollars.
    and on and on..

an old mate rang me on my way home and said fancy a beer, well you know the ending, fell asleep on the last manly ferry and woke up in botany bay by a cleaner, i got up and walked.. forgetting my bag

anyway, got a call 2 days later, they had found the bag and they rang flightcentre, who got in touch with me, as i knew the girl.

lucky..

oldejeans
    Free Member

not an item as such, but I did lose £200 in notes from my back pocket in London a couple of years ago

jambalaya
    Free Member

Left my Surface Pro on the plane last week. Fortunately, it was in lost property. Thank F for small airports and honest cleaners!

One benefit of Windows for you. It would have been long gone if it where a Mac 😉

I am a serial loser of stuff, mostly of sentimental value fortunately. Most valuable was two pairs of made to measure trousers left on a train which pulled out just as I was going back. £300 lost.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

A friend of mine left a brand new Nikon D90 along with three lenses and a camera bag on the floor outside the gents at Euston station while he went in for a pee. Amazingly it wasn’t there when he came out…..

ads678

My first pair of Oakleys. I had treated myself to them when I got a new job. £125 which at the time (2002) was ridiculous money for a pair sunglasses, but I had wanted some for years!!
    Dived into the sea in Tenerife with them on and never saw them again. I nearly cried. Oakley Minute Gunmetal with Fire Iridium Lenses.

DezB
    Free Member

My house

nedrapier

A Leica Minilux 🙁

stumpy01

Brand new top of the range TomTom when they were new and expensive.
    It was owned by the company I worked for & they thought it would help staff get around when abroad. I was the first one to use it…..

I took it to Belgium & left it on a seat at Antwerp airport while re-packing my hand luggage.

It was about £500 and there was talk of me having to pay it back out of my wages from some people. The worst thing was the grief I got over the subsequent weeks from people when they went to borrow it and were told that ‘he left it at the airport the first time I was used, so we aren’t getting another one….’

RustySpanner

A pair of new Zamberlan boots.
    Left in the lay-by near Tryfan about 20 years ago.

Still have a look every time I park up there.

ton

Rusty Spanner – Member

My health.

nail on the head Pete.

everything else in life is pretty worthless and pointless without it too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Smartphone, somewhere on Holme Fell in the Lakes.

Returned to me by a fine upstanding group of teenage lads.

🙂

RustySpanner

Ton, compared to some on here I’ve got nothing to worry about.

This place stops me feeling sorry for myself, most of the time at least!

oafishb
    Free Member

Three (yes, 3) wedding rings. Same wife.

gonzy
    Free Member

2 pairs of oakleys lost
    first pair was in 1997…a pair of sub zeros…left them in my room in student halls over the holidays…security and the cleaners did the rounds in each room to make sure the heating was off and they were never seen again
    second pair were the replacements for the sub zeros…a pair of square wires…lent them to my nephew in 2001…idiot took them in school and lost them

rosscopeco
    Free Member

A very rare brass fly fishing reel.

I inherited a beautiful split cane rod and hand made brass reel from a relative. As a daft 16 year old I went out by myself on the local loch for the day on the boat along with 2 other boats. I was 15min on the way home before I figured it out and went back for it. Presumably one of the other boat users (tossers) had pocketed it when they came in at the end of their session.

I remind my self of this every time my 15 year old looses ‘another’ glove / hat / jacket / top when on their DOE outing!

Alex

I did the HtS thing. Lost my wedding ring. On the 2nd day of our honeymoon. The actual cost of replacement wasn’t high, but the long term penalty of it still being brought up 18 years later makes me consider this the ‘costliest’ loss.

Otherwise, wallets, laptops. various electronic devices, sunglasses, watches, etc, etc abandoned all over the world. I’m not to be trusted with any goods or chattels. I once had a mad panic the day before a holiday when I lost BOTH sets of car keys. I never found the spares, but luckily the other ones were in the ignition 😉

winston
    Free Member

I’m always amazed at the number of times things left on car roofs are still there miles later
    Drove 200km from Katherine NT to a roadhouse with my wallet on the roof once and just the other day drove home from Friston forest 15 miles on twisty roads to find my SPD’s still perched on my roof

stevied
    Free Member

Oakley’s for me too 😥

Went canoeing down the Wye for my stag-do, got thrown in with glasses on, Juliet’s fell off and were never seen again..

Bregante

My parents used to run a pub and my dad was always paranoid we were going to be targeted for a robbery so he used to hide the takings in bizarre places. Once, after a bank holiday weekend he hid £1400 inside an old newspaper on his bedside table and my mum unwittingly threw it away (this was 35 years ago so comparatively a large sum of money). He only discovered it missing on bin collection day when the banks had opened and he drove around our town in search of the dustbin wagon. He did actually find it and he gave the binmen £100 for stopping to help.

jam-bo

I was on a boat once when we lost a towed system worth ~350k.

when I say lost, I know exactly where it is, its just 3500m down in the middle of the indian ocean.

nickc

Any number of high value bits and bobs from sunnies to wallets to bike bits.

Nothing serious though (apart from like Dezb, a house)

big_scot_nanny

only really lost my wedding ring. twice.

Lost it for about 6 months, then as we unpacked the tent for the first camping trip of the season, out it fell.

Picked it up, we laughed in amazement, then I “put it somewhere safe so I don’t lose it again”. Hmmmm, oops.

Sandwich

First wedding ring, took it off to clean my hands of floury mess and walked away from it. One of my lovely workmates nicked it. The replacement was a plain gold band which was replaced with a copy of the original Claddagh when we were on a trip to York many years later. Mrs S is particular about Claddagh designs.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Knocked a beer over a £1,500 desktop. Watched it drip down through the case open mouthed for a second or two before a pop and everything fried. I mean everything. I salvaged the RAM.

I guess it was lost. My sanity was.

jekkyl

I lost my phone once too on Helvellyn. I was doing the ride solo and I remember I sat down for a breather on the zig zags of Keppel cove and the phone must have dropped out of my pocket. Some other MTBers were coming up behind me and as I was taking it easy they caught me up and said ‘are you (name)?’ I said yeah perplexed and the lad said here’s your phone. I hadn’t set a PIN and they had unlocked it and looked on my Fb.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Most of a bike

full explanation here
    The Ride to Spain – or How Not To Do Big Rides

ianfitz
    Free Member

On a recce trip of the Highland trail this easter I lost a tiny waterproof bag that had an iphone, £80 in cash, bank cards and my driving licence in it. Somewhere in the cow field that Corrimony bothy is in, looked for ages but no luck and the cows were starting to get freaked by us walking backwards and forwards!

jonnyrobertson

Most expensive item was a pair of Oakley Square Wires. Left em in a changing room, TK Maxx in brum I think.

The one that really got me riled was when I was a train guard. Pulls into Birmingham international one night after a gig. Platform was rammed so allowed people into the guards van (this was back in 1994, still some old slam door stock roaming around up there). Anyway, on the way into brum I’m stood by the door chatting away about the gig etc and some **** goes into my work bag and robs my personal stereo. Only had it a few days and had cost me 80 quid. Can’t remember what tape was in it, probably some dodgy techno compilation.

michaelbowden

DezB – Member

My house

Posted 4 hours ago # Report-Post

Ditto!

ads678

I lost my phone on my stag do whilst quad biking 4 years ago. It wasn’t a great phone but it had lots of photos of the kids on it, so I was really gutted. We’d been round the field next to the bunk house we were staying in on the quad bikes so when we got back from night out at about 3am I decided I was going to look for it.
    4 of the lads said they’d come out and help, so we set about aimlessly wandering around a pitch black field pissed looking for a phone that could well have been in the nearby forest!
    One of the lads kept ringing it and we all trying to be quiet but couldn’t hear anything, plug in baby by Muse should have been playing if it was turned up. As I was walking back towards the house I thought I heard faint buzzing noise, my mate rang it again and off in the distance I could just see a slight glow in the grass, I ran over and there it was, face down and vibrating helpfully on silent! I picked it up pressed a button to activate the screen and it promptly ran out of battery and turned it self off.
    I couldn’t believe it, I banged on about that for ages afterwards……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What's the most expensive item you've lost?’ is closed to new replies.