Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Whats the most epic thing you've done on a bike
  • ton

2 x week long offroad tours of scotland carrying just a change of clothes
    1 week road tour of the pyrenees with just a change of clothes
    300k audax when i weighed 21stone 10lbs…….my heaviest
    400k audax 2 weeks later and quiting at 250k mark.
    various week long tours with the ctc and rsf.

the best feeling is setting off for a weeks adventure with the bike thinking of nothing more than riding…………..and food for fuel.

solamanda
    Free Member

It might not sound as epic as a distance or endurance feat but mine is my trip to the alps this past summer. 11 different resorts inside two weeks. We covered around 70 different descents, most of them atleast twice. The combination of travel, moving accommodation many times, riding so many different trails, not crashing too often yet still riding fast to cover as much as possible and managing to keep the bikes reliable made the whole trip very hard work indeed.

Dickyboy

4500 miles to Dubrovnik & back when I were 19, still keeping the hope of another big trip one day….

yetiguy
    Free Member

155 mile coast to coast in 12 hours, this September just gone

undapressure
    Free Member

Whistler, enough said. Classic trails such as A-Line, Freight Train, Original Sin, Drop In Clinic etc. It doesn't get any better, plus there are no hills to ride up, all done on ski lift.

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Toured in Canada's NorthWest Territories, where the nearest other people were days away.

Story and photos on my website.

langy
    Free Member

Mawson Trail – 2 weeks from Adelaide, Aus into the lower Outback, 900kms. Just get up, go ride, camp, do again. Was supported so just focused on the riding.

Awesome – trying to work out what next…

thefettler
    Free Member

21000ks round OZ,tassie and new Zealand last yr.
    Going to the American Continent in 2010 😀

ex-pat
    Free Member

This:

Just a short flight from the UK in Northern Spain:
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5032943

1500m descent if I recall.
    Link goes to a bigger version that does it justice.

trail_rat
    Free Member

about 4 grand for 4 months nathan – thats everything including buying my kona jake and flights

boblo
    Free Member

Have knocked off some reasonable road based tandem tours over the past few years:

LeJog
    Auckland to Christchurch
    Sidney to Melbourne
    Norway to Greece
    Caen to Montpellier

Not sure about 2010. I fancy a RAM ride but Mrs Boblo is getting a bit selective….

polarisandy
    Free Member

a week backcountry riding in Iceland.

Awesome scenery/isolation 2hrs from the uk.

go cycle across a desert, round a glacier, ford stream, canyons, thermal pools etc etc.

best bike related jaunt i've done. In fact i want to go back this year and maybe do the springersands or kjouler routes (??spelling)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polarisandy/sets/72157603866705926/

jedi

the 60odd riders i led round the glentress black a few years back. 🙂 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

the 60odd riders i led round the glentress black a few years back

Had the signposts been removed? 😉

jedi

it was a group ride. nice and slow and focuseed on staying as a group for all levels.
    for some it was and still is their favourite ride

midgebait
    Free Member

Lakeland Loop on a rigid Clockwork Orange.

or…

St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay carrying camping gear using a trailer.

sofatester
    Free Member

it was a group ride. nice and slow and focuseed on staying as a group for all levels.
    for some it was and still is their favourite ride

Keeping 60 riders together on that trail is good going.

I struggle to keep 6 together on the road! 🙄

jedi

then about 30 of us all crammed into the peebles curry house ran by a highwayman

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Sibillini mountains in Italy. Pretty much unknown mtb territory and a great adventure!

BigJohn

PQ – who used to be a regular on here – seems to be going round the world in instalments. He's got some of his adventures here.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/pq

I think he says he went 11 days without seeing another living thing when he was riding over the top of Tibet. Crikey – I think my record is 11 minutes.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i once asked kaesae why his ebay shed frames were overpriced…

oxym0r0n

cullen bay –

Yes there was a bit of portage on the TDMB – although I can't remember where off hand. Truely epic adventure with some great riding and views. I think there is an article in an old STW. To truely ride it of course you need to miss the lift at the beginning and the train at the end!

genesis
    Free Member

C2C, Whitehaven to Sunderland, unsupported in 21hrs – fully rigid and canti's. Old School 😉

Ambrose

Iceland solo. Almost cried when there was nowhere to pitch the tent. Almost cried again when I met the mainroad and the guesthouse.

Can't wait to do something similar soon.

megastream
    Free Member

I rode from Maidstone to Ashford and back on a BMX down the M20 motorway (when the new section was built, so no traffic on it!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The TransWales last year was pretty epic for me. Epically wet at least!

Next year me and Mrs PP are planning on touring Devon and Cornwall for 10-12 days on a £300 Trek and a £200 Carerra, towing a trailer and camping. I'm really looking foreward to it. 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Wow that crazyguyonabike site is nuts – would love to do something like that one day.

juan
    Free Member

Commuting in Cannes in summer. Taking the train to london, with the bike;

runswithscissors

Managing to finish La Ruta DeLa Conquistadors race in Costa Rica in 2007, bonkers race but an awesome experience if you want to really test yourself to the limits. http://www.adventurerace.com

Travis

one of my best holidays ever, was when 4 of us mates, took 2 tandems around Wales.

So, funny, cycled up to 70 miles a day, going around various Youth Hostels. Brilliant.

Another epic, well, was epic for me, was spending 2 weeks with the MTB boys prior to Beijing Olympics 😀

alpin
    Free Member

when i was 20 i jacked in my job and bought a trailer, booked a ferry and decided to ride from london to munich. me, the bike, tent, camping stove and a big bag of weed.

didn't have a plan as such. stuck to rivers and railways as much as possible and ended up following the seine into paris. from paris to troyes – mulhouse – along the rhine to strasbourg – stuttgart – south through the black forest to lake constance (bodensee) – foot hills of the alps to füssen – munich.

about three weeks in total.

and more recently an alpen cross trip with a mate. a little better prepared but it still went tits up.

bakey

I cycled around Portugal in '89, for 3 weeks, on a fearsomely overloaded Ridgeback.

Fantastic.

bakey

Just realised that was 20 years ago; where did the time go?

closeactionchris
    Free Member

Lands End to John O'groats in 6 days, unsupported (2003). Started it 5 days after coming back to the UK after 2 years living in Malawi, drinking, smoking 40-60 a day.
    No training, untested bike, and 17 1/2 stone at the start. 15 1/2 stone at the end.
    The first 2 days were pretty tough, but felt damn good by the end.

wl
    Free Member

Touring-wise, Sappa to Hanoi the long way round is mint. Around ten days, all amazing. Best done independently with no guides or group. Off road xc, Warner Lake (BC) by Tyax float plane is hard to beat. DH-wise Nelson, also BC. Or maybe Verbier.

oldfart

2nd er for Tyax float plane .I also did heli biking on Rainbow Mountain Whistler .That was the most bonkers fun thing i've done on a bike !

cynic-al
    Free Member

Colorado Trail solo with tent.

tang
    Free Member

exploring the jungles of madaya pradesh and chattisghar, india on a indian roadster. combination of tiger, cobra and terrorists!! quiet, hot and beautiful.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

2009 Transalp.

8 days (actually only 7 this year, because day 1 was cancelled due to spectacularly adverse weather).

600km, 21000m climbing and some brutally hard days, but absolutely worth all the blood, sweat and tears. Crossing the finish line at Riva del Garda was an overwhelming moment for a average punter like me.

stevet
    Free Member

Only been to Afan for a weekend … Planning on entering the MegaAvalanche in 2010 though !

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Whats the most epic thing you've done on a bike’ is closed to new replies.