Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What's the most common cycling injury that people get physio for?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

It’s essay time again. I need to do a lit review and have free choice as long as it’s related to a physio intervention.

I’m thinking itb syndrome and foam rollers versus friction massage. Anyone got any other ideas?

midlifecrashes

How about TT/novice roadie’s neck from getting tucked? Only guessing mind, I know nothing but don’t let it stop me spouting crap on here.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Neck rotation injuries from wearing a helmet..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for ITB syndrome

Short hip flexors and their effect on pretty much everything, eg forceing hamstrings to do a lot more work than they should whilst not allowing the glutes to do their fair share?

Does it have to be chronic or can it be an acute injury?

enduro-aid
    Free Member

I’d say somthing shoulder related, I know that most folk (my other half included) who ride bikes have had multiple shoulder injures from impacts when falling off or crashing

sefton
    Free Member

hip flexors? I’m going for a bike for for this purpose

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Knee problems.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What about stretching to prevent or reduce muscle soreness after exercise?

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD004577/stretching-to-prevent-or-reduce-muscle-soreness-after-exercise

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

+1 for ITB (tho my experience is my IT bands get tight from running but are fine with cycling). Or maybe weak core/lower back/hip flexors.

The more stretching thing would probably cover it all though. Was at my osteopath this morning and he knew i’d been neglecting my yoga/stretching 😳

wwaswas

I saw a physio when I broke my hip cycling.

I suspect this won’t be high on the list, though.

crikey
    Free Member
    ourmaninthenorth

(lower) back pain.

Turn the essay round from the most common injuries to ways for cyclistststststs to avoid injuries – eg core work, etc.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

injuries/problems steming from riders not stretching enough

kaesae
    Free Member

I tend to warm up and stretch before I ride and cool down as well.

In my case I tend to get sore balls, must be the size of them bad boys, or maybe I just ride funny ❓

debaser

Had treatment after a rotator cuff tear sustained in crash. My physio said she saw quite a lot of shoulder related cases from cycling, though mainly mountain biking.

rusty90
    Free Member

Chondromalacia patellae (irritation of the undersurface of the kneecap)
    Been there, done that 😥

colonelwax
    Free Member

Traumatic priapism: An unusual cycling injury
    Author(s): Golash A., Gray R., Ruttley M.S.T., Jenkins B.J.

Citation: British Journal of Sports Medicine, 2000, vol./is. 34/4(310-311), 0306-3674 (2000)

?

colonelwax
    Free Member

I’d go with the Cochrane review, you can nick their search strategy innit.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’d have thought knees. due to muscle tightness/ lack of stretching.

possibly diagnosed as itb problems.

DIS

Hi, i have e-mail one article to you that you might find useful, not directly linked to cycling but tight ITB and patella femoral pain. Patella femoral pain might be more common than ITB in cyclist.

However low back pain most likely more common. Not back at work till Tuesday but i do have a article on LBP and cycling i can send you if interested, think the author is Peter O’Sullivan, might give you some other ref to get started.

jedi

my shoulder/neck/ pains…….

MoreCashThanDash

Personally, wrecked hip flexors – originally a powerlifting injury, resulting in screwing my whole hip/pelvis/glute/thighs/knees at various points in time.

Found accupuncture very good for the itb – never used rollers

Bregante

Probably not THE most common but the majority of crash related injuries myself and my mates have had have been to the scaphoid.

DIS

I guess it may also depend what branch of cycling you are thinking about, DH = very different injuries to road racing!. Both may seek physio, but for very different reasons.

ianv
    Free Member

So far this year I have spent a fortune on my shoulders: dislocation/rotator cuff and then broken collar bone rehab.

Kuco

Pes Anserine (Goosefoot) Bursitis ?

mrplow
    Free Member

Shoulder here, friend was also shoulder.

nonk
    Free Member

the bloke that bends me back into shape said he get a lot of roadies with thoracic outlet syndrome.
    not sure if that’s of any use to you but there you are..

TiRed

Not much that physio will do for TOS. I’d say ITB or perhaps collarbone rehab.

kharim
    Free Member

Ouch how about ‘Subclinical microtraumatisation of the scrotal contents in extreme mountain biking’ THE LANCET Vol 356 October 21, 2000

kharim
    Free Member

or even Genitourinary Problems in Bicyclists Current Sports Medicine Reports 2007, 6:333–339 Current Medicine Group LLC ISSN 1537-890

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Plenty a physio could do for thoracic outlet syndrome.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What's the most common cycling injury that people get physio for?’ is closed to new replies.