Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • What's the longest you've not ridden a bike for?
  • sparksmcguff

Been off mine for the last six weeks after coming off on some ice back in January. Can’t wait to be allowed back on the bike. So what’s the longest you’ve been off your bike for? And what stopped you going out?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I didn’t do 147 miles on mine yesterday. Do I win five pounds?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

10 weeks. Something came out of my wife and wouldn’t go back in.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

About 3 years
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/DjjWw7]2012-09-29 09.04.05[/url] by WCA!, on Flickr

Got my new electric assist bike last Tuesday and have been out everyday since
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/electric-bike-my-experiences-with-a-scott-egenius

rocketman
    Free Member

*not* ridden hmmm that’s a good question

Probably 16-17 weeks after breaking a scaphoid

anagallis_arvensis

4 years, 3 hip surgeries.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

2 years from mid 1998 to mid 2000. Couldn’t be arsed.
    Rides at the moment are few and far between, usually a couple of months between each ride. Been like that for the last 18 months.

It’s crap.

mintimperial

About eight years or so. Stopped riding completely in about 2000. Started again just before my son was born because I was getting a bit unfit. Stupid waste of most of my twenties, frankly, oh well.

ton

3 weeks after heart surgery in 2014.

P-Jay
    Free Member

9 months, broken wrist which in fairness was pretty okay after it was plated, but I broke the other elbow at the same time and it steadfastly refused to heal for months, and months and months.

bikebouy
    Free Member

12 years.

Keva
    Free Member

about 6 months between Nov99 and Apr2000. badly broken ankle, but not quite as badly broken as WCA’s

RustySpanner

Much of my 20’s, about 7 years I think.

freeagent
    Free Member

From 22ish to 37ish – so about 15 years.. I’ve been back into it about 6 years now.

Briefly rode BMX around 2000, but had an accident which totally put me off.

TPTcruiser

I didn’t have a bike until I was 29/30. Longest not riding since, a few weeks.

Northwind

About 10 years. Not intentional, I just forgot I liked riding bikes.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

4 years from 2005 to 2009 my Kona Stuff my step dad bought me for my birthday was stolen. Was devastated as it was sentimental as it was the last Christmas present off him before he passed away from cancer.

Between 2005-2009 I was obsessed with motorbikes,booze and women.
    Got a Carrera vulcan in 2009 and the bug came back.

2013 February to July off the bike due to broken leg.

2014 may to November off due to ruptured achillies.

Coyote
    Free Member

August last year. Combination of time at the gym, work, family and shit weather. Hoping to be back out soon though.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I have someone ride them for me

M6TTF
    Free Member

almost 7 years. booze and clubbing at the weekends took over, along with a lack of interest amongst the group of friends.

ferrals
    Free Member

Somewhere around 12 years, stopped when I went to uni, as had no where secure to store or to wash bike and I just wanted to surf anyway. Started again a couple of years back. Never felt like I missed it to be honest, but life was full of other things. Only regret is I used to be fastish and confident on a bike and that’s takings it’s sweet time to come back

40mpg

4 whole years. Then I learnt to ride a bike when I was 4, never looked back

zinaru
    Free Member

4 or 5 years in my early 30’s

the booze etc years…

glad to be back

redders25
    Free Member

About 3 months at the start of 2015. Waiting for insurance money after current bike at the time was nicked over Christmas/deciding on what bike to buy.

egb81
    Free Member

Six months of last year after I made a mess of my knee cap. So, so happy to be back riding.

cinnamon_girl

Had to stop around a month ago, not sure whether I’ll ever be well enough. 🙁

stumpy01

Last ‘proper’ ride was Oct 22nd last yr, so about 4.5 months as a result of us having a baby and not having enough time to get out on the bike.

Something is going to have to give soon though, as my waistband is expanding and the lack of exercise is really winding me up.

mechanicaldope

10 years. Maybe more. Couldn’t be bothered. Glad I am over that now…

woody2000

Depends how you define it! I didn’t ride a bike from about 14 yo to about 32 yo (2003), but since then the longest I had off was 12 weeks for a spot of travelling. I get unbearable if I don’t get a bike fix!

mattbee

12 weeks or so a few years ago when I had Labrynthitis.

vickypea
    Free Member

About 4 or 5 months following spinal fusion in 2014

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Currently on 7 months… awaiting surgery then it depends how long I need to spend in recovery before I can start again. Even a gentle bimble up the back lanes would be lovely at the moment!

I went out to torture myself in Wheelbase last week 🙁 So many lovely new bikes….

Surgery is scheduled for April, barring disasters along the way, so hopefully I will be back on the saddle in some capacity for summer.

chambord
    Free Member

About eight years or so. Stopped riding completely in about 2000. Started again just before my son was born because I was getting a bit unfit. Stupid waste of most of my twenties, frankly, oh well.

This is me as well. Only really started again 3 or so years ago. We’ve just had a baby as well so not don much for the last couple of months either.

Edukator
    Free Member

10 months in 89/90. Barcelona traffic put me off.

Harry_the_Spider

What’s the longest you’ve not ridden a bike for?

I had to push mine for 3 miles after a tire had a total existence failure.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Didn’t really ride for the year I spent in Australia in the 90s. More recently I’ve not been on a bike for about 5 weeks which is probably the longest for a good few years.

CountZero

Longest was around fifteen years, until 1988 when I bought my first mountain bike, a Stumpjumper, and more recently about four; I came off hard at low speed on a cycle path after turning off of a road, both wheels went out from under me, and I hit the ground hard, cheekbone, side of my head, shoulder and left kneecap. No idea what happened, no major damage like some people, but my knee has never been right, and gets pretty painful, and I’ve just lost all confidence in the bike staying upright.
    Looking at some lightweight RF d3o pads to give me the confidence back and get the bikes out of the shed and out on the roads and trails again.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I got told not to ride for 6 months when I burst myself in Whistler, I got bored, after 12 days in hospital and a week taking photos and getting drunk I decided it wasnt the riding that was gonna put me back in hospital it was crashing, so was back on the bike a week later

iain65
    Free Member

I stopped for over 20 years, only starting again about 6 years ago, does that make me the winner or biggest loser?!

ourmaninthenorth

At all? I think I rode last autumn. Just a couple of miles.

In anger? 4 years. No sign that’s going to change….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘What's the longest you've not ridden a bike for?’ is closed to new replies.