Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Whats the longest ride you've done on a single-speed?
  • chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Thinking of trying one out, probably a road bike, and just wondering what sort of distances folk have done on a ss, either on or off road 😆

samuri
    Free Member

204 miles

Kuco

Didn’t a couple on here go touring on their On-One’s ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chunkymonkey
    Free Member

204 bloody miles? Well done mate, I was thinking a trip to our caravan at 52.5 miles may be stretching it a tad too far!

andy7t2
    Free Member

i went down the shops and back so 1/2 a mile

i was only 4 at the time

BigTed
    Free Member

About 100km both on road and also off road if you’re talking one ride.

I did do a 5 days ss road tour of Wales (Cambrian Mountains, Black Mountains, Brecon Beacons. And back) which was stupid.

_tom_
    Free Member

Only about 12-15 miles so far. It was good, even though it was all on road. When I can be bothered I’m going to singlespeed my mtb for winter, gears are a bit nackered and I cba to buy all new stuff for them yet (basically need everything replacing bar shifters/mechs not including jockey wheels).

Tricone
    Free Member

1140km – 50% on road 50% off road. It was over 5 days though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Still getting into it. Managed 60km off road last wkend – though I was tiring at the end it wasn’t too hard really. I need to set a new target!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I only use mine for short (sub 10 miles) evening MTB rides in the winter.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

Was thinking off getting one to potter around on a winters evening, with maybe the odd long-ish trip once a month. Think I’ve got a bit of training to get in before I go for the longer ride, by the sounds of it!

barrykellett
    Free Member

Its just a bike at the end of the day. Stop Obsessing over the lack of cogs on the back. If anything the weight loss should make going further easier 😉

I’ve done a hilly 75 with two big big climbs on mine. On the flat I dont see why I would do any less on the SS than the geared bike.

I would definitely consider light touring on mine

cynic-al
    Free Member

Selkirk Merida. It was hard I’ll admit!

samuri
    Free Member

As above, try and forget about the lack of gears, you’re just turning your legs at the end of the day. And getting up to over 200 in a ride takes a lot of preparation, I didn’t just go out and do that, I’d done quite a few geared and SS centuries earlier in the year.

nbt

47 miles over 8 hours. Was expecting to be out for about 2 hours but we got carried away. Cracking ride.

warpcow
    Free Member

74km off-road. The last 15-20 were a nightmare, but that was my own fault (not enough food or liquids). I’d do it again, and probably longer. Just better prepared this time.

RealMan
    Free Member

About 15 miles on a bmx with a proper high gear, gets tiring.

kiwijohn

About 40km on my GT cruiser, casually dressed & wearing flip flops.

About 15 miles on a bmx with a proper high gear, gets tiring.

I think someone rode a BMX across Australia. Or was it a skateboard?

luked2
    Free Member

Quite a few people from here did the Kielder 100 single speed.

drofluf
    Free Member
    stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

10@kirroughtree solo which I think was 90km in proper filthy conditions and a few training rides in the build up that were 70-80km.

giantjason
    Free Member

about 47 miles mostly off-road

_tom_
    Free Member

bmxes are shite to ride for any kind of distance above a couple of miles. The position is awful and you can’t sit down to pedal properly!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

70 miles off road … nice day out.

nickc

Did a Marin Rough Ride on one a few years back. It was good actually. no temptation of churning a big gear, just nice steady pace all day.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

my local ‘brain out’ training loop is 50K. I can do that with my eyes closed. sometimes I add a bit more to make it up to 70k.

But if I’m honest, I prefer a couple of gears for longer rides, just for variety.
    I prefer to attack singletrack on my SS & there just isn’t tens of miles of that in a line around my neck of the woods.
    That said, I’ll prolly do 45k or so on sunday in Thetford. sadly it’s just a bit flat :/

takisawa2

Weekly ride of 12-15 night time miles in the Winter.

MrSparkle

Kielder 100 last year and however far I got at MM and SITS. 100 odd miles anyway.

speaker2animals

About 50 miles. Mix of lanes, towpaths, tracks etc. About 4.5 hours riding time. As said you do tend to just stick to a certain pace. Some steep but pretty short hills, west Staffs & a little of Shropshire. This summer I have done quite a few rides of this length on the SS on similar terrain. But then I have also been doing some rides of up to 80 miles a couple times a week during the year so my cycle fitness is probably better than anytime in the last 6 or 7 years.

MrSmith
    Free Member

130 road miles fixed.
    you need good shorts and a second application of udder creme

epicyclo

Recently Dingwall/Ullapool/Ledmore/Bonar Bridge/Dingwall on a Fuji Track. About 120 miles. The route contains a few wee hills.

When I was a whipper snapper used to do much more than that, but I’m getting old & frail, and may need gears soon 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Whats the longest ride you've done on a single-speed?’ is closed to new replies.