Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • What's the longest drive you've done to a UK riding spot and was it worth it?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Well I rack up about 20k miles a year, 75%+ of which is biking related.

MINIMUM drive to ride offroad is an hour.

Longest distance for a day ride I think has probably been London->Howgills & back.

Normally try and make a weekend of long trips, but we do a lot of day rides in the Peaks. Luckily we can stop over at my parents in Leicester. I'm happy if I get a 1:1 ratio of driving to riding hours, so long as the ride is worth it.

Funnily enough, we're part way through quitting the rat race to move to Sheffield so we can ride from our doorstep.

grumm
    Free Member

Longest distance for a day ride I think has probably been London->Howgills & back.

😯

'Bout half an hours drive for me 😀

Good call on moving to Sheffield.

falkirk-mark

2.5 hours to Fort William and an hour to Gt and Inners. Yes it was worth it. Went to Grizedale when on holiday and would have been sorely dissappointed if I had made the trip just to ride there.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

i can't motivate myself to drive more than 45 minutes max to go bike riding when i live on the edge of the north cotswolds i am happy riding there throughout the year.

that said, i did fly 9000 miles to adelaide to ride the Mawson Trail; so i'm a carbon footprint yeti

hora
    Free Member

I'd only drive over an hour if it was to the Lakes OR I was staying on the way somewhere else as well (as part of a weekend).

Cracked if you'd drive 2hrs each way just to go home the same day IMO.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

For those of you who only ride your local trails – don't you get bored riding the same stuff all the time?

The driving can quite often be a fag, but it makes me get out for a proper day, and I get to see a lot of different places. The last 3 weekends I've been in the Surrey Hills, and great though it is round there, I'm now gagging for something different. Roll on the Peaks on Sunday!

djglover
    Free Member

London to Ft Bill, and yes

grumm
    Free Member

Went to Grizedale when on holiday and would have been sorely dissappointed if I had made the trip just to ride there.

Please tell me you didn't just ride the North Face trail though – there is loads of good riding in Grizedale.

psling
    Free Member

480 miles to Aviemore and, yes, well worth it.

farmer-giles
    Free Member

For those of you who only ride your local trails – don't you get bored riding the same stuff all the time?

i get a reasonable variety with on road/off road cycling; daytime and night rides around here (hell of the north country).

don't you fall asleep driving 3 hours home after riding for 4 hours?

D0NK

Kielder and SSEC both this year both ~3hrs driving and yeah both worth it. I start getting peeved with anything over 1.5hour drive (eachway) I ride a lot of local miles specially during winter but when the weathers nice (ha!) I like to go to lakes and peaks.

Northwind

Not that far really. Either Edinburgh to Nevis Range or Edinburgh to Kielder. With ChrisL driving :mrgreen: Both 100% worth it though, I'd go a lot further for those.

Most difficult would be getting the train to nevis range, that was a total faff, awkward leaving times, a change in glasgow, carrying 3 days of kit, clothes etc on the bike (I'm mentally incapable of travelling light) etc. Still worth it.

popstar
    Free Member

1 day trip, London to SWales 3.5 hours each way. Was worth it. Did drive to NWales 5hours to CYB but that was for a weekend, and that was even better. Now, after all that short travelling will go to Scotland for Kirroughtree. I am emotionally disturbed by mag reviews of that XC trail so must ride it! Hopefully not only that.

ahwiles
    Free Member

JonEdwards – Member
    we're part way through quitting the rat race to move to Sheffield

a wise man. which bit?

Bregante

My riding mates and I went through a phase of driving to scotland from manchester for a days riding quite regularly when the whole trail centre phenomenon took off but tbh, the novelty of spending 6 or 7 hrs in a car for 3 hrs riding soon wore off with me. I still enjoy the odd trip away but now with family pressures I much prefer to keep 90 percent of my riding within an hour of home.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

which bit?

As far west as we can afford!

ahwiles
    Free Member

the Rivelin Riviera is surprisingly affordable…

stevede
    Free Member

West cornwall to lee/cragg quarry for Ed Oxleys `the flow' course, my mum lives in waterfoot though so free accomodation for the weekend helped! Festival traffic at Stafford made for an even longer journey both there and back. Worth it though.
    Next time i visit i'm looking to go over the border into Yorkshire, Gisburn, Hebden Bridge and other bits of Calderdale – all looks worthy of a trip to see the old dear!

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

guess im lucky with bristol, pop over the bridge to wales, cwm carn, etc or just pop over to the quantocks, plus all the trails around ashton court, lee woods etc. I cannot get the whole drive for 5-8 hrs for a ride, much prefer a local ride within an hr to get a full day out. But I guess for some its not an option, that said I have 2 kids so getting back at 10pm is not an option with "her indoors"

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘What's the longest drive you've done to a UK riding spot and was it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.