Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Whats the longest downhill you can find the Lake District/Cumbria ?
  • GaVgAs
    Free Member

It must be a proper downhill though with a constant gradient,you should be able to freewheel from top to bottom ,so far I am up to 3.5 miles,with no gates. (Great Sca Fell to Longlands Caldbeck fells)

Oh and its got to be a Bridleway decent! 🙄

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Is it any good?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Like most of the trails up here at the moment its dry and dusty so its ideal for checking out the lesser known routes.
    The actual decent is mainly singletrack grass onto a landrover track but its a perfect gradient and the bracken is still fairly short so its great to follow,it would be sketchy in the wet though.

After memory mapping the decent,and checking out the profile I was surprised to see how far it was with no gates or even walkers to slow things down. 😛

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Which way do you get up onto Sca Fell?
    Might have a look up one evening whilst it's dry, Mung from Skiddaw house should be good and fast, can you get up that way.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Theres quite a few "Options" however the nearest bridleway climb (burn todd) to get to Knott is from Orthwaite follow the road south from Longlands. 😉

TheAlturian
    Free Member

How about Skiddaw summit to Latrigg then from Latrigg down to Keswick via Spooney Green lane. At least 3,000 ft of descent but there's 7 gates (maybe eight) to open which is a bummer but is a chance for your mates to catch up with you!

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Just thought if you could tie it in with Keswick to Skiddaw House, down Mung and up onto Knott, pushing or carrying then back round by Peter House farm, then back up Dash Falls to S/house, then back along Lonscale into Keswick. What do you think?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

then from Latrigg down to Keswick via Spooney Green lane

Ah but there's a climb before spooney green so it doesn't count 😥

GaVgAs
    Free Member

YGM vim 😉

boxelder

Vim, From Mung. you can push/carry up to the shooters hut near Knott, then get across from there.
    Gav – since when has that Great Sca Fell descent been bridleway?

Squib
    Free Member

Living at the base of High Pike, I go to the top most nights (to miss the walkers) and ride back down, pretty damn fast and very tech at the moment with all the floods from last year cutting them up. Don't time it but its a good 5-6 minute decent I'd say, depending on the route you take.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Gav – since when has that Great Sca Fell descent been bridleway?

boxelder….Not sure really,.since.. it was printed on my os map!!(although thats no evidence of a row) 😯

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I like that area too squib,does Chris Bonnington still run up there every day?

GaVgAs
    Free Member
    boxelder

Oh yeah, pink dashes. It's the getting to the start I was thinking of.
    Tis good though.

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Cheers GaVgAs.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If the skiddaw summit descent didn't have gates I think you'd literally burst. It's a big run to do in one go, especially after that push…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno about longest, but the best one I've found was in Grizedale heading towards the Coniston. Maybe a mile and a bit long, but the first half was just cut up rooty tree lined singletrack nirvana. On the hardtail it was hard enough just to keep momentum up, I imagine a full susser would struggle keeping it out of the trees! Second half was footpath/jeep track with lots of mid sized stones so felt like there was no grip in the corners then removed all your fillings in the straights, awesome track.

IIRC it was a bridleway on the map and signpost, but maybe I took a wrong turning somewhere.

TheAlturian
    Free Member

GaVgAs – not done the Great Sca Fell, on the "must do" list this week. Any headcam footage of it anywhere?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

No haven't seen any helmet cam vid,it is a great decent though and unusually long too.enjoy 😛

Max
    Free Member

Are there any gates on Black Combe?

Squib
    Free Member

GaVgAs – Bonnie is my neighbour, his running up there days are a bit gone now, but he still goes up pretty often when he's around! (Just come back down again now infact!)

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Must be still pretty fit then! 😉

Squib
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant I've just come down! Haven't seen him up in a couple of weeks!

montylikesbeer

Just in Cumbria, the decent from cross fell (greg's hut) to Garrigill is just over six miles, and I have done it through open gates.

Its a hoot of a ride.

fizzer
    Free Member

No gates on Black Combe except at the bottom both sides.

Did the Great Dodd/Old Coach Road on Sunday. Just the one pedally bit, 2.5miles pretty good, very dry, not so good after rain I would have thought.

TheAlturian
    Free Member

GaVgAs – done it…..its was a sweet descent, love the edge of the gill stretch and the final blast to the gate. Not a soul. Cross Fell next!

Saintly
    Free Member

Did the Great Dodd/Old Coach Road on Sunday

I was up there on Sunday too, fantastic conditions at the minute.

TheAlturian
    Free Member

Saintly

Did you go down via Calfhow Pike and Mosedale Beck or via Bruts Moss and Groove Beck? 😕

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Gav – what about Worm Gill – nearly 4 miles on paper:

If only they marked gates on OS maps 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

[b]DE S CENT[/i][/b]

And who wants a bridleway descent? Sounds boring as hell. I seem to remember some around skiddaw being fairly long and pretty bridleway-y?

parkedtiger
    Free Member

I think the point of Gav's post was the length of the (unbroken) downhill – with the challenge being that it had to be a bridleway. Most interesting is a different thread 😀 (although I understand from the reports that night that it was far from boring Gav !)

Saintly
    Free Member

😆

Did you go down via Calfhow Pike and Mosedale Beck or via Bruts Moss and Groove Beck?

Got a bit carried away with climbing and ended up on Clough Head :oops:, but re-traced and went down via Mosedale beck. It's a good job I enjoy the climbing as much as the descending. 😆

fizzer
    Free Member

I did the Bruts Moss/Groove Beck BW excellent at the moment. Tomorrow I'm doing the Great Sca Fell one. I can feel another epic coming on 🙂 Report & pics on here tomorrow night hopefully.

Let's hope last night's rain hasn't wetted out the trails

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Have a good one Fizzer,Looking forward to the pics 😛

GaVgAs
    Free Member

YGM Fizzer 😉

TheAlturian
    Free Member

The Calf to Bowderdale in the Howgills, barely on the edge of Cumbria to just qualify. 8.49 km.

fizzer
    Free Member

For the record:

I clocked it at 3.76 miles LITTLE Sca Fell summit to gate at Longlands onto road. You have to pedal up from Great Sca Fell onto Little Sca Fell to begin descent so that bit doesn't count.

Height Loss:418m

Time descending: 8 mins (includes photo stop at signpost near bottom) & I am sure aomeone will be along shortly to say they have done it in a quarter of the time blindfolded on a fully rigid unicycle

Grin factor: 100%

Effort to get there: 99.9%

Gav, I have to add I made about half a dozen pedal strokes in total near the bottomto keep speed up but could prob just have got down without

Summit of Little Sca Fell looking down to Longlands

Postscript: I would say that at least 5km of Bowderdale is pedalling Not descending

GaVgAs
    Free Member

nice one fizzer,"blows dust off unicycle and gets blind fold out"…..looks like you just nailed it before the rain set in! 😯

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Whats the longest downhill you can find the Lake District/Cumbria ?’ is closed to new replies.