Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What's the likely outcome?
  • itsmygame
    Free Member

Hi guys please can someone withe any insight please advise me ?

The wife takes the child to school this morning and upon pulling into a parking space the guy in the next space opens the door as she’s pulling in denying an scratching the car. The setup of the car does not lend itself to ‘using excess speed to pull into a space’ so no question of the speed in which she pulled in IMO . Apparently the guy was nice enough and they swapped details. I’m no expert on body work but looks like it maybe a couple of hundred ( excess £50-100 can remember which).

When this is reported to insurance company what are they likely to do if he doesn’t admit liability.

Cheers all

Junkyard
    Free Member

50 /50 is my guess as both at fault

It will be a claim when you report it to the insurance company so I would assume you would both be better off doing it off the books tbh as loss of claims will far outweigh what you gain

maccruiskeen

I’m no expert on body work but looks like it maybe a couple of hundred

I wouldn’t expect change of £500.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ro5ey
    Free Member

Chips Away are excellent

I’ve used them on my own car and when I’ve scratch somebody elses

Never paid more than £180… they come to you and do the job on your drive so less faffing as well.

itsmygame
    Free Member

Cheers guys I feared you’d say that. How can it be fair though she stopped as quick as she could react. How do you plan for someone opening their door on you?

sugdenr
    Free Member

‘Fair’? Its the vicissitudes of life. Question is how reliable is your child witness going to be under cross examination in court? 😕

itsmygame
    Free Member

Cheers rosey

Junkyard
    Free Member

Devils advocate – how do you plan for someone reversing into the space ?

They will say you both could have done something to avoid this though I would also blame the door opener but it matters not one bit what we think

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds like it’ll probably go 50/50. I’d just get a quote for a cash price fix and save the hassle. Might be able to get the other person to chip in a few quid if it is reasonable

sbob
    Free Member

Did he open the door into the side of your wife’s car, or did your wife drive into his door as he opened it?

Very generally speaking, former his fault, latter hers.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If anything, I’d say there’s a greater probability of the insurance company placing blame on the moving car.

Importantly, is it that he opened his door into the side of her car (i.e. her car was already occupying the space into which he opened the door (damage on the side of hers)) or is it that he opened his door and she ran into the open door (damage on the front or rear of hers)?

[edit] too slow, sbob already there [/edit]

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I’m amazed at the cost of bodywork repair these days. My car had a dented door from when some prat drove into me at a roundabout, and the insurance approved repairer fixed it for £1800..new door, spray, mirror spray, dissasembling, refitting, blending in to rest of car.

I guess my point is – don;t count on the repair being £200. Sorry.

trail_rat
    Free Member

and dont ever count on getting repairs done by chips away …. if you damaged my car and suggested that …. you’d be asked to think again.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d be expecting a whiplash claim from the door-opener…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Rubbish

Have you tried them?

I’ve used them twice on my own cars and like I said put a ding in a car parked next to me in a carpark … left a note telling the owner to ring me… suggested chips away when he did, as like I said you don’t end up without your car for the day/week how ever long a garage decides to keep it …. anyway the fella was double please and ended up giving me money back after chips away charge him less than they quoted for.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Franchise – the one near you might be fine . The one near me might be crap.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What's the likely outcome?’ is closed to new replies.