Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • whats the legality of running a car on veggie oil?
  • jimbobrighton
    Free Member

We were talking about it at work today, and couldn’t agree on whether you are allowed to or not.

at 70p a litre it’s starting to look appealing!

so whats the STW opinion?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Bang it in and don’t tell the tax man.

glenh
    Free Member

Perfectly legal, so long as you pay fuel duty on it 8)

creaser
    Free Member

been on it for years,, mix it with a bit of petrol when its cold, but you do smell like a chip shop going down the road

truebloodmtb
    Free Member

you should pay the public compensation for the smell you leave behind

crazy-legs

Depends on the engine. I used to have an old Fiat diesel which would run quite happily on it. I was using it when oil was about 50p/litre and diesel was about 90p – £1 (so quite a while ago!) then gradually the price of oil started creeping up.

Car worked fine though, if anything it was actually better with a bit of oil in it. Just poured it straight into the fuel tank, most I ever had was about 25% oil. The local garage knew I was doing it – went to pick the car up from a service once and he was like “how much veg oil you got in there then?” 😉

My more recent car had a Lucas fuel pump which wouldn’t work with veg oil. Don’t try it in common rail diesel either, it’ll gum up the whole works.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

so whats the STW opinion?

I’m fairly sure that it’s HMRC’s opinion that you need to worry about.

Here’s some interesting reading for you.

wwaswas

Magpie (think it was them) in Brighton will sell it to you jimbo, they put a bit of kerosene in (which is taxed).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Surely in Brighton it would be organically souced tofu oil?
    How’s the new job going, Jimbo?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

from a mechanic point of view, ONLY DO IT IN OLDER ENGINES! the new engine now are way to precise to do it on and you will get problems from it.

if you no better then do it but as a mechanic i used to do it on my 306 but wont do it on my newer vw.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

organically sourced, fair trade and the crop is read poetry as it grows.

new job is good thanks – local, nice guys and i’ve got so many more hours in the day due to the commute shrinking from 2 hours to less than 5 minutes.
    Ironically, since I left the bike trade I’ve also started riding my bike more 🙂

interesting that you only pay tax if you use more than 2500 litres a year…. I’ll not get anywhere near that this year!
    😀

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

so would a 1996 T4 1.9 non turbo be ok Nick?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ironically, since I left the bike trade I’ve also started riding my bike more

Yep, I know just what you mean….. 😉 You’ve not been replaced yet, apparently. Which is a shame, as my new employer would like to have spoken to you in your old capacity…..

RustyMac

My workmate has a old Toyota Hilux N Reg and he frequently mixes 50/50 oil desil. His is the non turbo model. He has never put used oil in and just looks out for offers of buy one get one free and in the likes of Costco etc for value sunflower/veg oil.

He pours the oil in before the desil so the pressure of pumping the desil in mixes it all in the tank. He has had no problems doing it this way, i think in winter he reduces the quantity of oil so the fuel doesn’t freeze but has had no trouble at mot’s for over 4 years now with mixed fuel.

Shadow
    Free Member

jimbo a 96 t4 will run fine on veg oil i run my 97 on it

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Jimbo- That 1.9 vw transporter engine loves veggie oil, goes like (chip shop) stink on it. I ran mine on it for 2 years, emissions were non existent, other than smelling like a mobile chip van. Cleaned the engine out a treat too. Use up to 80% oil to diesel when it’s warm and calm down to around 50/50 when it gets cold.

Don’t run the 2.5tdi on it though as the injectors don’t like it…

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

YEs I was chatting to one of the guys from cyclescheme over xmas who told me that and was surprised that they hadn’t gone for a replacement. Shame as the potential was there to build on the great growth while I was there.

To be honest, you’d do worse than to go to cyclescheme, it just precludes you from getting sale bikes. I’de venture its probably the lowest maintenance scheme for employers at the moment.

solamanda
    Free Member

Go here -> http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum

Read, learn. Basics: Make sure your car has a bosch injection pump. Take a spare fuel filter and tools to replace it road side when you start using it. Every vehicle I’ve run on veg has blocked it’s fuel filter with crap within 500 miles. The veg oil cleans the lines of years of dirt and blocks the filter. It can also blow old fuel lines. Be careful with the % you use. As a crude measure ramp up the % of veg oil but if the car starts any slower than normal back off. Run a lower % in cold weather. Check your car owners manual, if it permits the use of petrol mix for cold driving you can use some petrol to increase the veg oil %. Do more regular engine oil changes.

I’ve run two cars on veg oil and fully converted a transit to run on 100% myself.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They did offer the job to someone, but he turned it down and left to go and do something far better paid and more exciting….. 😉

singletrackmind

WALOS

There is NO fuel duty on veg oil for private use for the first 2000ltrs

You really need a twin tank system and a changeover valve .

You stand a good chance of destroying your injection pump if you go above 30% SVO in the winter (esp this year )

Up to 90% clean SVO plus petrol is a good blend

up to 80% Clean SVO plus derv is also good

I used about 1500lt in my crap citroen zx td and saved more than i paid for the car

Making WVO into fuel is dangerous as you have to use meth oxide which is easily absorbed through the skin and causes long term cell damage

Your T4 engine will run unmodded on a blend , better in the summer /

You will have to change the fuel filters once , or more likely twice as the veg oil pulls all the gunk from the system and deposits it in your fuel filter ( cue lots of misfires and smoke)

SVO is more like £1.10 a ltr , 70p is filtered wvo which usually needs further treatment

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

CFH you’re very well informed – wasn’t you was it? 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Me? With my reputation? 😉 Will email you with regards to my sources….!

Xylene
    Free Member

A mate of mine brings van load of it back from spain a few times a year to keep cost down and run his van on.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

8) @ Jimbo….

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘whats the legality of running a car on veggie oil?’ is closed to new replies.