Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Whats the least i need to spend on a light to be able to ride at night?
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

The problem i have is i ride with my 12 year old son (far from a problem actually, best father,son time ever)

The thing is i will need to buy 2 sets of lights , so that puts the likes of the hope vision 4 out of the window.

I do have some pretty good head torches (fell running) which will assist.

But in order for us to ride lake district trails whats the least i need to spend to be able to do it safely?

Cheesr

uplink
    Free Member

These are a very popular budget choice
    https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25149

delivery is taking around 6 weeks at the moment though – I know coz I'm waiting for one 🙂

Do a search on here for 'bastid light' for more details

namastebuzz
    Free Member

£50 on THIS

With a bit of DIY you can beef them up and they are really bright for the cash. One of my riding buddies has one and I'd have got one if I known about them before I got my Exposure light.

Folk pooh-pooh them coz they're not "proper" lights but for the money you can't go wrong.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Deal extreme p7 torch.

tinsy
    Free Member

How mad do you go with your lad? If you just want to ride through the woods at night the DX stuff either the torch or the bike light is good, but if your only going real steady and nothing too technical Tesco still do the 1w AA Torches for £8, not mega but would get you around. Got in the region of 200 lumens though so definately not blind riding.

yetiguy
    Free Member

We ride pretty fast and enjoy technical riding

tinsy
    Free Member

DX then.. worth buying a Tesco to have around at £8 anyhow, they are supprisingly good, and availiable without a wait.

Where you based? Welcome to borrow my DX torch to try out and a tesco one, also have a decent halogen I could let you have for some wine if your anywhere near Southend Essex.

DezB
    Free Member

Beware if you're tempted by the DX light, by the time it turns up it'll be light in the evenings!

Just a warning about their delivery times (over a month so far and still "Awaiting suppliers" on my order).

Do what I did and scour for 2nd hand bargains?

GW
    Free Member

50p, a cheap 12v diphoric lamp and an old car battery gaffertaped to your bike

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

You can buy the DX light from the BESTOFFERBUY website too.. not sure if it's the same company??!

MY DX light really is fab, especially when combined with a cheap 801 spot light on my lid..

DezB
    Free Member

You can buy the DX light from the BESTOFFERBUY website

Pretty sure it is the same company. BTW, my order status has changed from "Processing" to "Temporarily out of stock". So I doubt it'll be here before Xmas.

Second hand bargain example – Hope HID £135 on the classifieds now

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mate of mine has Ay-Ups. Mounts both to his bike when out with mates but when he's with the lad, they run a headtorch of Ay-ups each.

sq225917
    Free Member

p7 torch and a spare battery for the ride.

singletrackmind

P7 Torch , and a pair of £7.81 Tesco Torches on your lid. Buy some High amp rechargables, and if they dont fit remove the polarity sticker from inside the body.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

As kids we used to night ride with 3 everready lamps on the front of our bikes… That was 6 dd batteries rattling on the front! Couldn't see much but it was great fun.

polarisandy
    Free Member

£8 single Tesco torch. Home made helmet attachment.

Or go for luxury pack,,, sellotape one to his handlebars as well..

2450mah rechargables are abit pricey approx 12£ for four, but will come in handy at xmas no doubt.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

20 quid for Cree LED torch, 2 sets of rechargeable batteries and quick/smart charger from far-eastern ebayer. Then improvise a helmet mount with velcro straps. Helmet mount is better than a bar mount, especially on techie stuff, as it shines where you look not where the bars are pointing. If you already run head torches then stick it on your bar.

I have a Cateye EL700 tripleshot which is a gucci >200 quid rrp light, and bought the pikeytorch as a helmet mount to accompany it. Before I got the chance to use it me n MC night rode, and as her lights were flat I knocked up a bar mount for the torch. It is brighter and has far more penetration than my tripleshot, and you get over an hour from each pair of batteries.

Just ordered some more batteries for a few quid so we will have several hours worth of stonking light for less than 30 quid. And I might be buying another one for me as MC seems to have claimed it…

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Flashlight-CREE-Q5-LED-UV-U-Torch-3-7V-CHARGER-Holster_W0QQitemZ260360124790QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches?hash=item3c9eac3976

ignore the UV bit, I cant find the torch without it and its no use, but its no hindrance either.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Whats the least i need to spend on a light to be able to ride at night?’ is closed to new replies.