Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Whats the law on domestic dog and domestic chicken
  • seizednuts
    Free Member

A Bit of an odd one this, Walking mt dogs in feilds near me. both dogs off lead haveing a sniff and a forage genraly being dogs, no problems.

Their heads come up and shot into next field usualy a rabbit they havnt caught one yet but good excersise for them.
    Short time later they come back we carry on walking. Cross over to the next feild for a circuit. Get near the bottom where there is a caravan site not pykies, This bloke says you dogs have just killed a chicken.

Ive walk thease feilds for nerly 4yrs and never had a problem with this.
    I say sorry and will replace the chicken.
    Just wonder what the legale situation if any.
    I not fussed whos right or wrong as chickens are a couple of pounds but he look up for a proper argument and i couldt be arssed with it.

Im sure they have to be caged. If not my dogs im sure a fox or something would of had it sooner or later.

johndoh
    Free Member

They have to be caged? The dogs?

Don’t be bonkers, chickens don’t have to be caged.

Just give him a fiver, ask for the chicken for your supper and move on.

unklehomered
    Free Member

chickens are a couple of pounds

He he… no, they’re not. Point of Lay are about £15 round here. Depends on the breed.

No, they don’t have to be caged. Can wander about all over the place. Afraid your dog however should be under control. Not having ago, I have a dog and let him off the lead, though don’t let him run off where I can’t see him. Also have chickens

alanl
    Free Member

Do you own the field?
    If not, then your dogs should have been under control. They clearly weren’t as they allegedly killed a chicken. If the owner of the chicken had a gun, he could legally have killed your dogs to protect his livestock (on his own land).
    Thank fate that you still have your dogs, and offer to buy a new chicken, or give him £20 to replace it.
    Hens are typically £10-15 as point of lay chicks, they take a few weeks before they are regular layers, so £20 will buy one and a few weeks of food.
    Learn the lesson, and keep the dogs under control.

Scapegoat

Pay up, make sure there’s no repeat, and just spend a minute or two thinking about the owner’s perspective. He’s just watched your dogs kill his chicken. Some people would find this upsetting. The chicken has been killed on his land, by dogs that were not being properly controlled, and when he confronts you about it, I’m not certain what your reaction was, but judging by the dismissive contempt you appear to have demonstrated in your post, it may have included an attempt to shift the blame away from where it lays squarely on your shoulders onto his. Is it any wonder he appeared to be up for an argument?

Owning dogs comes with a responsibility.

dashed
    Free Member

The law you say? Basically, you’re banged to rights sunshine. Go back around with a grovelling apology, a bottle of whisky and a fair few quid… And keep your bloody dogs under control next time 👿

Under the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953 the owner and anyone else who is in control the dog at the time will be guilty of a criminal offence if it worries livestock on agricultural land. “Livestock” includes cattle, sheep, goats, swine, horses and poultry.

There is no right to shoot a dog under this Act if it attacks livestock merely that the person in control of the dog has committed an offence. But you’re ok, as the maximum fine is restricted to a mere £1,000.

Also worth noting, however, there is the Animals Act 1971 under which there is a defence available to someone who is the subject of civil
    proceedings for killing or injuring a dog that was worrying or about to worry livestock.

A person shooting a dog without lawful excuse may commit the offence of criminal damage, however, Section 5 of the Criminal Damage Act 1971 recognises that a person cannot stand idly by and watch his property being destroyed. A person will have lawful excuse to damage or
    destroy property (a dog) belonging to another if he was doing it to protect his own property, provided that his property was in immediate
    need of protection and the means used to defend it were reasonable.

So all things considered, it’s hardly surprising the owner of the chicken was looking for a proper argument!! I would have been too!!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Give the bloke money, learn how to spell, job done.

qwerty
    Free Member

Our chickens are pets, we’d be mortified if they were attacked by a dog.

You clearly knew your dog will attack and did not have it leashed.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-dog-is-now-a-merciless-killing-machine-should-i-be-worried

Apologise, pay up, leash your dog.

Drac

Im sure they have to be caged.

Come on your not be serious are you?

As For muzzling them, not a chance, they are friendly to people and kids and play well with other dogs. So really just a hedgehog thing.

And now chickens.

Seriously keep your dog on lead it’s evident you can’t control it.

ajc
    Free Member

My garden is next to a field and occasionally dogs come in and go crazy for our chickens in their run. I always am pretty pissed with the owners as the field is not public access and I really don’t want someone’s dog with a blood lust on running round my garden with 2 small children about. Keep control if your dogs.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Im sure they have to be caged.

Only irresponsible chickens owners allow them to roam free.

Caged or muzzled and lead, according to the Dangerous Chicken Act 1991.

Tom-B
    Free Member

This thread should definitely show TJ’s new login if he has one!

yunki
    Free Member

Is this the mole fella from the other day..?

Sort your dog out you nutter, and get some lessons on how to be a resposible dog owner!!

I’m guessing this is either your first dog and you’re just a bit dippy*, or this a troll

* I’m thinking along the lines of..

In’t dogs brilliant, they’re like small and hairy and run round killing things and stuff and then they love you and love and love you and do brilliant funny stuff like my mums dog that crapped on my grandad when we stayed at theirs at christmas and then ate my frail old grandma in her sleep..

BRILLIANT!! 😀 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is this the mole fella from the other day..?

No, the clue is that the owner of the mole-killer was full of remorse, this is the hedgehog-killer.

seizednuts
    Free Member

First the chicken was on farm felds roaming about not private. the owner of the chicken didnt own the land it was wandering on.

I take responsibilty for my dogs actions, that’s why i offered to replace the chicken the price is irrelevent.
    And yep i got a terrier that will have a go at anything it sees as prey. She is great with people and kids and other dogs so no worrys there.
    The garden is now hedgehog proof they cant get in anymore. Thats not to say they wont in the future.

Im glad to se some got the idea of the thread. And yep some didnt.

PS mY Spooling cant be thAt Bda you Undorstanded Whit Iwoz Saying 😆

Coyote
    Free Member

I take responsibilty for my dogs actions, that’s why i offered to replace the chicken the price is irrelevent

If you are going to “take responsibility” for your dog’s actions then you will keep it on a lead at all times as you clearly cannot control it, prevention being better than cure and all that.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

First the chicken was on farm felds roaming about not private.

I don’t think farm fields are ‘public’!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Entirely plausable that the owner has agreement from farmer for chickens to roam on the field. There’s a few places round me where that is the case.

Drac

First the chicken was on farm felds roaming about not private. the owner of the chicken didnt own the land it was wandering on.

Why is that relevant?

And yep i got a terrier that will have a go at anything it sees as prey.

Which is why you should keep it on a lead as clearly you can’t control it. My terrier has an awful habit of chasing sheep, I found this out after we’d adopted him. The solution, I keep him on lead if there’s going to be sheep around on a walk.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I take responsibilty for my dogs actions, that’s why i offered to replace the chicken the price is irrelevent.

To show what a responsible owner I am, I’ve brought you a fresh child’s face to replace the one my dog bit off. 😀

gonefishin
    Free Member

You know what’s always puzzled me about situations like this, the fact that as a dog owner you are (rightly) held responsible for the actions of your pet however if it were a pet cat that did this then most peoples reactions would be along the lines of “it’s a cat, what do you expect?”

gears_suck
    Free Member

I’ve trained my chickens to kill dogs.
    WTF has this got to do with cats.

unklehomered
    Free Member

hmmm… I’d have gone with…

i offered to replace the chicken

I’m not sure you’d be much good, can you even lay eggs?

seizednuts
    Free Member

Tea, biscuits. Fishing rod…..

flippinheckler
    Free Member

My dog kills a chicken and its the chickens fault for doing what it does, imbecile dog owner shocker.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Though if a cat kills it, it’s the chicken owner’s fault –

“From “The Smallholder”: A Trespassing Cat. The injury to the poultry has been caused by the intrusion of a neighbour’s cat, Mrs. G. C. M. (2441 Warwick). For such any injury and however caused, the owner of the cat is not liable. There is no provision requiring that the owner of the cat should take steps to prevent the recurrence of this happening. A cat is an animal which has a propensity to roam and to do damage of this kind. The owner of the poultry is obliged to keep his poultry so that cats cannot have access to them. The owner of the cat need do nothing in the matter and he may ignore any claims made for any loss caused by his cat or cats.”

anagallis_arvensis

FFS if you leave chickens free to wander you have to expect a few to meet a sticky end. Dog owner sbould pay for a replacement and avoid letting his dog off in that area again. Its hardly the end of tbe world.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Thought it was a dog that killed the chicken not a cat!

piemonster

And yep i got a terrier that will have a go at anything it sees as prey. She is great with people and kids and other dogs so no worrys there.
    The garden is now hedgehog proof they cant get in anymore. Thats not to say they wont in the future.

Im glad to se some got the idea of the thread. And yep some didnt.

PS mY Spooling cant be thAt Bda you Undorstanded Whit Iwoz Saying

I have nothing useful to contribute. Other than preserving the above.

Some real nuggets in there.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Can I shoot a cat that’s attacking my chickens? Or digging up my veg patch to shit in the whole?

I’ve tried setting the dog on them but he’s not stealthy/fast enough.

piemonster

No, but you can shoot Hedgehogs attacking kittens

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’m actually quite impressed at the OPs dog for getting into a hedgehog, ours just gets all cross and shouts at it.

Tom-B
    Free Member

🙂

piemonster

🙂

SiB
    Free Member

I believe that there is an Easter chicken for everyone…….not for you and your dog anymore though. It’s like killing one of Santa’ s little helpers on the eve of Christmas Eve.

enfht
    Free Member

If it’s off the lead and out of site how are you able to locate and clean up wherever it craps?

Stoner
    Free Member

seizednuts – Member

that wouldnt be a hint of someone trying the “ol’ embra’d’fence” would it?

nealglover
    Free Member

seizednuts – Member

that wouldnt be a hint of someone trying the “ol’ embra’d’fence” would it?

Well spotted.
    All the signals are there.
    Edinburgh Defence it is 🙂

bigjim

our cat was terrified of our chickens.

bigjim

OP you seem to post quite often about your dog killing other animals, if it is out of sight and control in a caravan park killing chickens, doesn’t it concern you it might attack children too?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Whats the law on domestic dog and domestic chicken’ is closed to new replies.