• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by GJP.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What’s the knack to removing SRAM chains?
  • GJP
    Free Member

As title really – Normally I always find it a bit of a hit and miss affair but have always removed the link without too much swearing in the end – but last couple of occasions then it just ain’t moving and I have simply resorted to cleaning the chain in situ.

So is there a simple reliable method?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Clean chain link first with wire brush
    Push together in the middle of link and (making aU shape with the chain)just push the two bits together
    I find that it is best done weekly to make sure it does actually do this easily
    Tips
    Take slack of chain first
    Getting it to move initially is the hardest bit.
    Dirty chain is much harder than a clean one
    Practice at home with nice clean chain and link and you will get it

Stoner
    Free Member

you must squeeze the plates together sufficiently. If you dont, then you can bugger around all day, but its not coming apart.

My personal technique is to press the chain over the first knuckle of my right index figure with the thumb of my left hand. Then ease the two lengths of the chain together and then pull apart.

if you cant get the plates to come together then a blast with the straw fitted to your WD40 can will clean the crap out the way.

Really astonished people still have trouble with these. Not had to fight a chain with a powerlink for 5 years.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Because my previous post makes clear that I now know what I am talking about….. 😀

Squeeze the plates together as Stoner said. It is by for the most consistent way.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Think bra clasp, and it’s easy.

I_Ache
    Free Member

You can buy specific pliers for the job.

Spesh99
    Free Member

Very easy- just squeeze the plates together and slide them in the opposite directions. Once you have got the link off the chain have a look at it not on the chain and look at what is happens when you squeeze it together. When you get the hang of it you will be amazed that you ever struggled to get them off before and will be able to remove any powerlink no mater how stuck someone thinks it is with in seconds.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Think bra clasp, and it’s easy.
    So they are impossible then!!!

MrNutt
    Free Member

pinch and squish it like a juicy bug.

scaredypants

stop imagining you’re Rambo (like this ^ bunch of ruffty hard-men) and get a bit of bent coat hanger to help compress the link – leaves your fingers free to push against the plates and works very well when your hands are cold & the chain’s filthy

ziggy
    Free Member

I always used to struggle until I got some of these Park pliers, even though I have small girl like hands.

MrNutt
    Free Member

do you have a tool for undoing your shoe laces, if not would you like to buy one?

Spesh99
    Free Member

You still have to squeeze the plates together when using the park pliers otherwise you will damage the powerlink. The tool is a waste of money in my opinion since it can be done so easily by hand if you learn how.

singlespeedstu

Nutt.

Do you have a tool for undoing bra clasps?

If you do I’ll have one.

Stoner
    Free Member

Stu, you dont need a tool, you need a dolphin

MrNutt
    Free Member

no way I use the Park one, my homebrew tool for that landed me in court in that infamous "dislodged shoulder blade case" debacle, never again!! never again!!

singlespeedstu

Stoner.

I don’t think our bath would be big enough to keep it in.

GJP
    Free Member

Thanks everyone I think I can see the principle now – not really sure how I had been doing it before – certainly realised that brute force was not the answer.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What’s the knack to removing SRAM chains?’ is closed to new replies.