Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What's the Kennet & Avon Canal tow path like to ride?
  • redstripe
    Free Member

After bad ankle and shoulder injuries been getting back into riding but can’t do anything too manic yet – looking for some flatish nice rides here in the south I can do with a couple of drinking partners. Canal towpaths came to mind. The Kennet and Avon is closest to us, anyone done it, any good? Sustrans says 87 miles or 100 if you include the extra bit to Bristol. Sounds okay with a pub overnighter halfway. Any feedback or suggestions for elsewhere appreciated. Cheers

cinnamon_girl

Dull dull dull even though I’ve only cycled some of it. Caen Locks breaks up the boredom. Too many dog walkers and it’s quite narrow in places so slow going.

beej

What CG said. Surface varies from man-made hard pack to clay muddy gloop depending on locations and weather. Probably pretty good at the moment though.

Dull may be what you want (from a riding POV). Pubs and boats along the way will make it more interesting. Be prepared for lots of walkers near towns and villages, especially at weekends.

cokie

After about 10 miles it all looks the same.
    It’s a nice and relaxed ride with essentially no climbing so could be good for you? Beware that parts are also very overgrown and very rooty.
    Personally I wouldn’t really fancy doing 100 miles of it.

If you’re getting back into it- how about the Ridgeway? There’s parts of it that are 25 miles with little to no climbing? You get great views and not too many dog walkers.

cinnamon_girl

Resurfaced Meon Valley Trail?

Moses

The route’s a mix of canal path gravel & road. It’s easy enough, but can be very busy at weekends between Bristol & Bradford. Take a bell, you’ll need it.
    How about the Ridgeway between Goring / Avebury / Chippenham?

EDIT: Beaten to it.
    Or combine the two in a loop. Camp at Honey Street.

redstripe
    Free Member

Yep I thought it might be, particularly at this grockle time of year. Done stuff like the South Downs Way with overnighters which we loved but I’m a bit wary of anything too hilly/jiggly and taking a step back with injury recovery right now.
    Edit, Just seen other posts now^..

cinnamon_girl

North Dorset Trailway? No experience of it though.

http://www.northdorsettrailway.org/default.html

robdob
    Free Member

Me and my wife ride the entire length of it in 3 days at leisurely tour pace – there’s a Sustrans route that takes you off the very narrow sections along country roads in the centre bit.
    Lots of cafes and places to sit to admire the view, we loved it. No it’s not off road really but it was never a trail centre. 🙂

iolo
    Free Member

I lived for a bit in Aldermaston Wharf, not far from Melinda Messinger but she’s long moved. The canal is great for running but for a bike adventure you’ll be bored to bits.
    If you do go, stop at the Row Barge in Woolhampton. They make amazing ribs.

llama

look on iplayer for that ‘canal journey’ that was on the other day

its like this

cinnamon_girl

Test Way? Loads of diversions for pubs and tea shops.

redstripe
    Free Member

Thanks for tips CG and others, will check out the other ones you’ve mentionned

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Those who say ‘boring’ probably don’t tour. Touring is different. It’s not about the ride, it’s about the journey, and as such seemingly ‘boring’ stuff can be nice, easy, social riding. You make good progress for minimum effort, you get to see wildlife and countryside that others don’t and you get to stay in some great places and eat loads of cake. We love touring, we plod along quiet lanes and paths, arrive at empty campsites, drink beer and sleep very well. It’s very, very relaxing and we have great memories and stories to tell 🙂
    Redstripe, from what you say it’ll be right up your street!

cinnamon_girl

Pete – my experience is that canals can feel enclosed and often you don’t actually see very much apart from the water. Riding along the whole length of the K & A would mean missing out on so much particularly the quiet lanes that you talk about.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I enjoyed it when I did it with a mate a few years back. We rolled out of Bristol Temple Meads, rode the Bristol to Bath cyclepath and picked up the K&A east of Bath. It was a relaxing 2 day trip with an over night stop at the Golden Swan in Wilcot ~ about half way. Basic accommodation but cheap and ok. As Peterpoddy says, nice easy going, quite, nice scenery and plenty of wildlife to see. Nice. I remember thinking how close we were to the M4 and a journey that takes 90 mins in the car takes 2 days on the bike………very mellow 🙂

trickydisco
    Free Member

How about the Ridgeway?

Or you could stupidly try and combine the two in 1 day which I did with friends last year (although didn’t go the full ridgeway

PePPeR

I like cycling along our canal up here on the Oxford canal, but I have to run tubeless tyres as the amount of punctures I was getting was too much!

We just toured down 250 miles down the Mayenne canal/river in France I love riding along the canals. My wife came along who isn’t the strongest rider and she loves the easiness of just being able to ride along at a good pace.

peteimpreza

@ Pepper, sounds great, any details you can share?

Email in profile.

PePPeR
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What's the Kennet & Avon Canal tow path like to ride?’ is closed to new replies.