Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Whats the going rate for pocket money?
  • Kryton57

So, my son turns 7 in January so ive decided regular pocket money time starts then. The appropriate lessons in finance started long ago.

So I was thinking off making Saturday pocket money day, with the recieved amount linked to completion of chores / behaviour. Say 50p per chore, -50p for each visit to the naughty corner.

Fair?

bearnecessities

Half whatever the wife gets.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Guess so, I’d up the payment though to something like £10 per week.

Seems more realistic.

Kryton57

£10? for a 6yo?

Kryton57

Half whatever the wife gets

Unless you know a quick way of doubling my Salary…

Drac

Docking a 6 year old’s wages? 😯

1-shed
    Free Member

Second Drac, once earned you can’t take away.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Enough to buy whatever you’d expect him to use his pocket money for. If he blows it all on ho’s & coke it’s his own fault he can’t have any sweets.

or are you expecting him to start saving for a house deposit?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm… You know I’ve got no kids right?

Is that not the going rate then? £10 doesn’t really buy you much these days ones it.

You could get them to save half of it, instilling future spend/save ratios??

Mumsnet, mumsnet’s your best place I reckon then..

Kryton57

ok fair point. Maybe he gets a chasnce to earn a “performance bonus” for 0 naughty corner visits then. So, 50p per chore, an extra £1 on Saturday if he’s avoided the naughty corner (which to be fair hes a good kid so is likely to recieve)

I’m trying not to be Draconian (no pun intended) but also that money is earned not just recieved without effort.

Yes BIkeBouy, the save/spend ratio and conversations are already in effect and have been practiced.

sheeps

We do a quid a week for tidy bedrooms – strangely their piggy banks are fairly empty!!

Drac

Krtyon57 Junr this morning.

Kryton57

Don’t be ridiculous Drac, I have a coal effect gas fire. He’s outside changing the intercooler hose.

Rubber_Buccaneer

No pudding for Drac 🙁

Pigface
    Free Member

once earned you can’t take away

Early lesson about tax and NI?

Drac

Don’t be ridiculous Drac, I have a coal effect gas fire. He’s outside changing the intercooler hose.

Sorry for I’m from the North we don’t have such witchcraft in our homes.

Nobby

I gave up on the whole concept a while back as Mrs Nobby tends to just pay for stuff Jr wants anyway 👿

Bimbler
    Free Member

I was doing £1/year of age/month, tried to tie it into chores but too much like hardwork.

Eldest daughter,13, gets £40/month less her mobile phone contract and she has to pay for all her discretionary spending from that.

footflaps

£10? for a 6yo?

WTF! I used to get 65pence when I was 10 (1980), which is about £2.50 accounting for inflation….

Scapegoat

When I was that age I got 2 shillings. I was always a bit miffed because my older sister and brother both got half a crown.

Personally I’d say at that age he needs a couple of quid for comics and a few sweets lentil based dips and carrot sticks. Tidy room and bedmaking, plus a hand with clearing the table and washing up etc are an expected norm, but if a cash incentive helps reinforce the ethos of family cooperaion, then go for it. You know what motivates him, and what he would consider to be punishment.

the-muffin-man

We don’t give our daughter anything (she’s 13), she gets enough spent on her already on various sports she does.

And if she wants more she’ll have to make a good effort to get it – not doing the dishes once a week – that is part of the everyday drudgery you have to deal with, not get paid for!

br
    Free Member

A fiver.

Little enough that you won’t miss it but enough that he’ll realise that he can save for stuff from it.

I’ve always shied away from chore-payments, he’s chores to do the same way his Mum and I have chores to do.

mrlugz
    Free Member

MiniLugz (8) doesnt get pocket money, though does get rewarded for 100% on spelling/maths tests.
    LugzJR(15) gets the equivalent of £10 p/w, and I pay his mobile bill. This is conditional on chore completion.

He doesnt often get it.

Kryton57

Personally I’d say at that age he needs a couple of quid for comics and a few sweets lentil based dips and carrot sticks. Tidy room and bedmaking, plus a hand with clearing the table and washing up etc are an expected norm, but if a cash incentive helps reinforce the ethos of family cooperaion, then go for it. You know what motivates him, and what he would consider to be punishment.

Got it in one, thats how it works in the Kryton household sans pocket money at the moment. Both kids 6 & 3 are quite helpful when they want be, with washing up, table clearing, hoovering under the table after dinner, & bedroom tidying.

peterfile
    Free Member

Let them pick their own jobs and earn some cold hard cash.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

2.50 per week for my 11 year old. It goes onto a goHenry card so she can use it at a cash machine / chip.pin till and learn to manage her money. you can link it to chores and well dones if you want and also limit spending. She uses it largely to save for books.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£10/week?

I’m not that old and remember a Saturday job netting me £20 for 6 hours scrubbing pots! having said that there were always the rich kids at school who got more pocket money than I could earn.

or are you expecting him to start saving for a house deposit?

In all seriousness, I’ve had ‘savings’ from pocket/birthday money since the beginning, always saving up for something. Usually encouraged by my parents going halves on anything necessary or expensive. I got into dinghy sailing so they bought a mirror dinghy, which was then sold and I had to match it’s value to buy a Laser, which was then sold and used to fund a motorbike (it was 19 miles to school).

And I’ve just bought a house, so yup, some of that money was from keeping my room tidy aged 7!

Kryton57

I’ve had ‘savings’ from pocket/birthday money since the beginning, always saving up for something. Usually encouraged by my parents going halves on anything necessary or expensive.

Me too.

Our intention is that he can buy small stuff (comics etc) with us talking about “if you spend it now you don’t have it later” type conversations. However we’ll set the main goal to save for the RTR RC Car he really wants but isn’t getting for Christmas.

Now considering the principle herein and the fact his Birthday is in January so he waits a long time for more gifts, I reckon he’ll be about halfway to that car in May / June when we will put the other 50% in so he can realise his dream.

Just agreed the idea with Mts Kryton, so we have short term responsibility and a long term savings goal for him to learn about.

Hard work all this!

Gunz
    Free Member

Another vote for not associating pocket money with chores, they should do them as part of a household.
    FWIW our kids (10 and 7) don’t get pocket money as the money they get for birthdays, Christmas and good school reports covers the stuff they want to save up for. If pushed I’d say £5/week, saving half.

Kryton57

So Gunz, other than the Schooling they haven’t learned to earn it though, like we do as adults?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My 6 and 9 yo’s get a pound a week from us and a pound from the grandparents (only one set) so £2 per week total. If they want more they can earn it (they choose not to). The more they get the more they waste of sweets and crap naff toys they play with once then get consigned to the toy box never to be played with again. I am putting £50 per month each into an investment for them that mautures when they’re 18 so so they can’t have it both ways. They’ve got more money than me.

matt_outandabout

Peterfile – I am now going to implement that in my house.

mark90
    Free Member

For the kids or the wife?

2tyred

I like peterfile’s system but can’t help feeling my youngest would pocket all the cash, claim to have done each task and blame his brother for messing it all up behind him.

Max amount per child in our house is £3 per week (they’re 7 and 10). Fairly arbitrary what gets paid and months can drift by without anyone (us or them) remembering about it. There’s a list of jobs up on the fridge they can refer to, mostly tidying/getting ready/not being dicks to each other, the main challenge is remembering to have the dinner table pocket money discussion each week.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Whats the going rate for pocket money?’ is closed to new replies.